Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

teotwaki

Excelsior!
I will try to get some pictures for you guys, like I said I really haven't done to much.

For the guys storing stuff in your tongue box, where are you putting your jacks at? I plan on making a divider to in the tongue box to house the jacks in the back, and battery with electronics in the front. No other sensible place to store the jacks in my opinion.

On the sides of the main cargo box, on the lid, on top of the fenders? The jacks may not need that much protection.

The only problem I have with that is I can not access the rear cargo box on the fly to garb a item out that I need with out the jacks getting in the way.

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
The only problem I have with that is I can not access the rear cargo box on the fly to garb a item out that I need with out the jacks getting in the way.

I was thinking about this last night. Weld two of the round jack mount points to a flat piece stock with bolt holes in each of the four corners. Bolt them on the sides of the spare tire area on the front of the cargo box, pin them in place there when not in use. The same can be done for the angle mounts by bolting a couple of size-larger pieces of square stock for them on the back of the triangular nose box, and pin them in place when not in use.

DL22670_250.jpg

Last edited:
Good idea. I was trying to mock up space to use have of the cargo box for tounge storage, and the other half for a battery and electronics. At best you wil be able to get 1 large battery in, definitely not 2. Going to build my kitchen set up before I dive into electronics I think

JRCCRW

I don't agree with the "its Smittybilt" BS. I think the company has turned around somewhat. Back in the day when I first bought my TJ in 1999 they were basically known for chrome and tube bumpers. I think the company has tried to change their image. I went out on a limb and purchased their XRC winch and its never let me down.

Just my opinion. If someone wants to bash a company I want personal experience, I'm not saying you are wrong, but back it up.

Oh wow..OK, if i must to give an opinion, let me see if I can remember everything:

1. Purchased the Targa 2-piece top for my YJ. It never fit properly against the windshield or doors. I purchased with their uppers and they never fit, no matter how I tried to sand and reshape. I tried the Bestop uppers and they wouldn't seal against the recess either. It was more the shape of the hardtop itself. The hardware on the back window rusted almost immediately.
2. Was given front light protectors and they rusted within 1 month.
3. Purchased the G.E.A.R. seat covers and they did not fit. The uppers were fine but the seat bottom cushion cover did not fit well on a stock seat. Was sent another with the same results.
4. Purchased the roll-bar grab handles and the card board insert was too stiff to conform to the bar and fit snugly.
5. Purchased the MOD bumper for my JK and although the middle section was fine strength wise, it did start rusting within 3 months and the bumper ends were complete junk. they never fit properly. The first time I removed them to see if the ends were bent or not aligned, one of the captured nuts on the full width extension came out. The factory fog light replacements were of such poor quality and they had condensation accumulating within 3 days.
6. Purchased the fitted neoprene seat covers for my JK and all but 2 of the stock buckles broke on the initial installation/fitment. Knowing I should have not taken another chance with Smitty and having extra gear buckles, I just sucked it up and sewed on new ones. The neoprene faded after 2 times with the hard top removed.

I've had enough experience, even after they supposedly tightened up there game, and gone through enough money that they will never get ANY of my business EVER again. If SB were the only after market company, I would never have anything other than a stock Jeep.

I've known people with SB gear on their vehicles and had no issues. From what I've personally seen, it's been probably 60% positive, 40% negative and those are lousy numbers in my opinion. I would never recommend SB to a friend or stranger.

Good enough??

Last edited:

Silverback07

Adventurer
I tend to agree with you 100%.. it was hard for me to pull the trigger on this trailer, heard too many horror stories of their products. But I figured it was a good enough platform to start from that any thing that wasn't up to par I could address with a welder and a plasma cutter. That being said I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the trailer.

Midnightsun

Adventurer
I've been lurking around reading y'alls experinces with this trailer so far and I think I'm gonna move foward and get one. Been looking for about a yr and Smittybilt seems to offer quite abit for the $$. I have a 2 door jk so weight is an issue for me but I think I can set it up to my liking and keep it under 1800lbs. Don't want wheels and tires , will match to jeep and don't need spare on trailer.

For those of you who are considering this, If buying from 4 wheel parts (where I bought mine) you can choose to buy without tires and rims. Which knocks off $800 or $900 I can't remember. That way you can match your tow vehicle

Tkhawk

Adventurer
Awesome. What awning is that? I think I want a foxwing but I'm concerned that it'll be to long. I should probably just slow down and wait for the trailer to get here before I start making plans, but it's so hard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles