Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Midnightsun

Adventurer
We made the Big Bend NP last week got back home Sunday and it was a heck of a trip. We pulled both jeep and trailer behind our motor home and everything went well. We stayed at lajitas rv resort first night then left motor home behind and headed into the Big Bend with just jeep and trailer , stop in at Panther junction and got permit for twisted shoe camp spot to spend the night but first it was test time to see how things handled on the black gap trail and it was a HELL of a ride. 6 1/2 miles of some great off roading. Can't say enough good things on how jeep and trailer worked together. The lock and roll hitch worked perfect not once did the tounge of trailer drag and there was a lot of straight up straight down twisting jeep off camber 50 degrees one way and trailer twisting other. I did bounce trailer tire off ground one time I saw at about 45 degree angle and it came back down . We went the full 6 1/2 miles then turned around and went back other direction. I had trailer loaded about 1900lbs and jeep pulled with plenty of power. Never spun a tire and lockersimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg dug in like a pro. Going back up canyon wall was crazy. Small ridge of a road not even as wide as jeep so going up and coming down your riding the wall with about 1500 to 2000 ft drop off the side once you start don't stop. Pulled Like a BOSS !! Lol. I could go on and on but it was a BLAST. I'll admit I scared my wife couple times and it cought me off gaurd several times. But the equipment did its job. Suspension on the trailer did great I could see it in my mirro and was impressive. I am gonna put actuators on my tent rack so I can bring tent down. My tent is 3 man and weighs only 90 lbs but turning trailer so far sideways I'd rather have it down on the deck other than that everything I did to trailer worked perfectly . It was hot about 96-98 and fridge did awesome on the 12v. Voltage drop to about 11.10 from full charge 12.7 in about 7 hrs but I ran genset about 45 min and I was back up full again

Midnightsun

Adventurer
One other thing about suspension on trailer? We did beat the hell out of it not in an abusive way but it was put thew its off road paces and I carried a Coleman lantern inside the box figuring the mantel would be broke? It was perfect condition lit right up!! Next trip? The alpine loop gonna make 3 days out of that

Midnightsun

Adventurer
Also wanna throw in my 2 cents about trying to charge a deep cell battery on your trailer with the alternater on you tow vehicle. There is reason we don't put deep cell batteries under our hood. You will burn brushes up and fry your regulator. I keep tow vehicle and trailer separated. Use genset. Solar waist of money unless you set in one place all day and have guaranteed sun. I'm always on the move

ebrabaek

Adventurer
That looks great Midnight. Third picture I thought you were at the base of the Guadalupe's.... :) :) Looked like a fun trip under the belt.

Erling

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Love the trailer but glad I had the winch last weekend. Steep slope, loose rock and a heavy trailer will stop a locked Rubicon on 37's and 5.38 gears... Once the momentum was lost that is...

View attachment 445313

View attachment 445314

View attachment 445315

View attachment 445316

Those pesky shaely rocks makes a mess of any hill climb. I have done many on two wheels, but know exactly what you were going through. Looks like you ended up in the pristine camp at the end of the day.... :)

blare

Started buying up all the gear to put my battery in the tongue box and run the wiring for fridge, interior and exterior lights.

Where did everyone drill the holes to pass through the wires out of the tongue box and into the main box? Any recommended pass through type plugs?

Last edited:

Wynn

Wanderer
594fe2f37d85fd1bebfa6a00882fb086.jpg

What a boss. Pulled the Jeep out bare handed.

Started buying up all the gear to put my battery in the tongue box and run the wiring for fridge, interior and exterior lights.

Where did everyone drill the holes to pass through the wires out of the tongue box and into the main box? Any recommended pass through type plugs?

I drilled down through the bottom of the tongue box, under the mat, ran the wire under the frame and drilled a hole into the closest box… I added a conduit hanger midway through the run to make sure that the wire was not sagging
ca513e6753679969b51b945315688f68.jpg
bcd3eb96f72c84c581c4ffea6638308c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also wanna throw in my 2 cents about trying to charge a deep cell battery on your trailer with the alternater on you tow vehicle. There is reason we don't put deep cell batteries under our hood. You will burn brushes up and fry your regulator. I keep tow vehicle and trailer separated. Use genset. Solar waist of money unless you set in one place all day and have guaranteed sun. I'm always on the move
whats a "genset"?

Midnightsun

Adventurer

I used rubber grommets for softener on metal pass threw and used wire loom on all wires then zippy tied wire loom shut about every 3-4 inches I went threw bottom tounge box and back in generator box I used 14 gauge wire for all electrical wiring but used 8 gauge directly from battery to fridge with inline fuse 10 amp fuse I think but going back to beginning I ground battery straight to trailer so I just have to run hot wires threw out trailer

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne