Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

mmrocek

Observer
Nice!

I'll be in Phoenix this weekend for Arizona Pilot's Association annual meeting, we should try to meet up. PM me if you like.

Sure! Saturday I will be helping out a friend put on his new suspension and other mods on a new (to him) jeep. That will be till about 5pm. Then Sunday we will be doing a shakedown run to Crown King and be back in town early afternoon. I live in north Phoenix, not far from Deer Valley airport. Let me know when you're free. Anyone else that would like to meet up is also welcome.

titantom

Oh wow..OK, if i must to give an opinion, let me see if I can remember everything:

1. Purchased the Targa 2-piece top for my YJ. It never fit properly against the windshield or doors. I purchased with their uppers and they never fit, no matter how I tried to sand and reshape. I tried the Bestop uppers and they wouldn't seal against the recess either. It was more the shape of the hardtop itself. The hardware on the back window rusted almost immediately.
2. Was given front light protectors and they rusted within 1 month.
3. Purchased the G.E.A.R. seat covers and they did not fit. The uppers were fine but the seat bottom cushion cover did not fit well on a stock seat. Was sent another with the same results.
4. Purchased the roll-bar grab handles and the card board insert was too stiff to conform to the bar and fit snugly.
5. Purchased the MOD bumper for my JK and although the middle section was fine strength wise, it did start rusting within 3 months and the bumper ends were complete junk. they never fit properly. The first time I removed them to see if the ends were bent or not aligned, one of the captured nuts on the full width extension came out. The factory fog light replacements were of such poor quality and they had condensation accumulating within 3 days.
6. Purchased the fitted neoprene seat covers for my JK and all but 2 of the stock buckles broke on the initial installation/fitment. Knowing I should have not taken another chance with Smitty and having extra gear buckles, I just sucked it up and sewed on new ones. The neoprene faded after 2 times with the hard top removed.

I've had enough experience, even after they supposedly tightened up there game, and gone through enough money that they will never get ANY of my business EVER again. If SB were the only after market company, I would never have anything other than a stock Jeep.

I've known people with SB gear on their vehicles and had no issues. From what I've personally seen, it's been probably 60% positive, 40% negative and those are lousy numbers in my opinion. I would never recommend SB to a friend or stranger.

Good enough??

Oh let me add some please...
The scout trailer is cool. especially if you want to add your own stuff to it. I bought mine "Fully loaded" XL tent, generator fridge awning and the tent annex.
1. Annex didnt fit. small print says it doesn't. so refunded
2. ladder wasn't right.for some reason it doesn't have enough holes in it so each time i use it I have to rig it with bunji cords and a block of wood
3. Battery died in the trailer brakes after first use.Says on box comes with recharger. it doesn't. got the phone tag on this one so tried to recharge it and its dead. purchased less then 6months ago.
4. battery in generator obviously old since it was corroded and appeared to be used. -emailed customer support still no response.
5. Generator Keys missing
6. Remote on generator only stops but wont start.
7. roof top tent was assembled to open (expand) above the kitchen when this should have been the awning area. (tent is heavy)
8. last time i went out the wind blew something out of the tent LOL big ass aluminum pole. so cold and windy i just tucked it in before leaving. have no idea where it came from.
9. awning is very cheaply made. not worth even $100

These are just off the top of my head.

But really, with all of that said. I still dont regret my purchase. Its exactly what i wanted. the fridge has worked amazingly. the generator has never failed me, at least not yet. if i could do it again. i think id opt out on the accessories since there are better out there. looking at the list above you can see you get what you pay. in this case i got that exactly.

if you want to customize it yourself then this makes a great shell cuz if you are like most, its damn hard to cut into something that cost a ******** load of money. ive added my own home built solar system and am thinking of doing a shower next. Still brainstorming best fits. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

robepa

Hi All,

I picked my trailer up a few weeks ago, a distributor had bought it and couldn't sell it. I picked it up for $4,500 out the door from a craigslist add. It was manufactured in 07/17 so it still has the stove drawer the wrong direction. Getting a 1,600 lbs out of a U-Haul without a forklift was interesting... I'm pulling it with an 06 Tacoma so I went the wheel adapter route like @Silverback07 and picked up a set of Tacoma rims and tires so I don't have to carry an extra spare. I had to grind the hub bolts down a bit to get it to fit. I haven't had it on the highway yet but I'm somewhat concerned about the flat seat on the Tacoma lugs and bolt concentric adapters.

Same comments as most others, overall I am impressed, the only gripe is the paint adhesion isn't very good and comes off easily. For the cost I am not complaining and think its a great value. Mine was missing the trailer brake battery/controller, brake away switch and connectors on the brakes hub side (it was just bare wires). Smittybilt had great customer service and sent them right out.

First on my list is adding a battery system, my Dad and the family have always camped & backpacked but now has IPF so he uses an oxygen concentrator. I see this as a way I can still get him out and camping. I'm thinking of using 2 group 31 AGM in the generator compartment to minimize the tongue weight or maybe put in a shelf in the back of the main compartment above the sliders. I am planning on pairing that with the ProMariner ProSport 20 charger and ProWatt SW inverter with bypass switch. When my Dad has to go from supplemental use of a portable concentrator to full time use of a standard consentrator then shore power is the only reasonable option as 150W 24/7 isn't feasible on battery.
Thanks for all the info and inspiration!
20180502_193646.jpg

RichardPT

Richard
Oh let me add some please...
The scout trailer is cool. especially if you want to add your own stuff to it. I bought mine "Fully loaded" XL tent, generator fridge awning and the tent annex.
1. Annex didnt fit. small print says it doesn't. so refunded
2. ladder wasn't right.for some reason it doesn't have enough holes in it so each time i use it I have to rig it with bunji cords and a block of wood
3. Battery died in the trailer brakes after first use.Says on box comes with recharger. it doesn't. got the phone tag on this one so tried to recharge it and its dead. purchased less then 6months ago.
4. battery in generator obviously old since it was corroded and appeared to be used. -emailed customer support still no response.
5. Generator Keys missing
6. Remote on generator only stops but wont start.
7. roof top tent was assembled to open (expand) above the kitchen when this should have been the awning area. (tent is heavy)
8. last time i went out the wind blew something out of the tent LOL big ass aluminum pole. so cold and windy i just tucked it in before leaving. have no idea where it came from.
9. awning is very cheaply made. not worth even $100

These are just off the top of my head.

But really, with all of that said. I still dont regret my purchase. Its exactly what i wanted. the fridge has worked amazingly. the generator has never failed me, at least not yet. if i could do it again. i think id opt out on the accessories since there are better out there. looking at the list above you can see you get what you pay. in this case i got that exactly.

if you want to customize it yourself then this makes a great shell cuz if you are like most, its damn hard to cut into something that cost a **** load of money. ive added my own home built solar system and am thinking of doing a shower next. Still brainstorming best fits. Hope this helps.

Yup, my trailer was assembled about the same time as yours (middle of 2017) and had brake controller and small battery missing as well - got these quickly for free from the dealer. A word of warning if you did not tow your trailer yet - my trailer power plug had some wires reversed and first time I took it out on the road trailer brakes locked out on me couple miles down the road. Smittybilt was very apologetic and admitted this was not an isolated incident although apparently I was the only customer who managed to pull the trailer for a while before brake pads begun to burn and smoke.
Generator - I got one at first too, could not get it to start and run for longer than a minute, ended up returning it for a refund. Mine was covered in oil when first unpacked, don't know if that had anything to do with it.
XL tent - you could place it with opening on either side of the trailer (or to the rear as well), does not have to open over the kitchen.
Annex - why it does not fit? I have Tepui annex attached to SB tent, got it before SB had one available. No fitting issues.
Paint on the trailer sucks - peels off with a touch of finger nail. I have a can of paint and touch up almost after every trip.

mspenc45

Yup, my trailer was assembled about the same time as yours (middle of 2017) and had brake controller and small battery missing as well - got these quickly for free from the dealer. A word of warning if you did not tow your trailer yet - my trailer power plug had some wires reversed and first time I took it out on the road trailer brakes locked out on me couple miles down the road. Smittybilt was very apologetic and admitted this was not an isolated incident although apparently I was the only customer who managed to pull the trailer for a while before brake pads begun to burn and smoke.
Generator - I got one at first too, could not get it to start and run for longer than a minute, ended up returning it for a refund. Mine was covered in oil when first unpacked, don't know if that had anything to do with it.
XL tent - you could place it with opening on either side of the trailer (or to the rear as well), does not have to open over the kitchen.
Annex - why it does not fit? I have Tepui annex attached to SB tent, got it before SB had one available. No fitting issues.
Paint on the trailer sucks - peels off with a touch of finger nail. I have a can of paint and touch up almost after every trip.

Raptor Liner makes a great improvement! Sanding the existing powder coat exposes all the poor adhesion areas, which then must be acid etch primed before Raptor coating. $104 for 4 quart kit on Amazon with spray gun. See my earlier posts.

YYCRod

RichardPT:

" A word of warning if you did not tow your trailer yet - my trailer power plug had some wires reversed and first time I took it out on the road trailer brakes locked out on me couple miles down the road. "

Do you remember which wires were reversed? Mine was built mid-2017 and I haven't towed it with the vehicle brake controller installed yet. I want to be prepared "just in case".

RichardPT

Richard
RichardPT:

" A word of warning if you did not tow your trailer yet - my trailer power plug had some wires reversed and first time I took it out on the road trailer brakes locked out on me couple miles down the road. "

Do you remember which wires were reversed? Mine was built mid-2017 and I haven't towed it with the vehicle brake controller installed yet. I want to be prepared "just in case".
Constant power was attached to brakes (axillary power); sorry, don't remember the colors but check the standard diagram online, open the plug and compare the connections. 5 minute job to avoid huge headache.

YYCRod

Constant power was attached to brakes (axillary power); sorry, don't remember the colors but check the standard diagram online, open the plug and compare the connections. 5 minute job to avoid huge headache.

Thanks. Do you have a link to the diagram?

mspenc45

So I've decided I don't really want to deal with cutting holes in my front cargo box, or elsewhere for electrical. Seems the lift strut support panel in the front box is a perfect place for hidden, weather guarded electrical switches. The switches can also be accessed with the lid nearly closed. So far I only have need for two of the 4 positions, my internal LED strip lighting and some external LED lighting. These are really low current and run from one home run to the battery through this nifty fuse block that bolts right to the terminal. The other two switches, as yet undefined, may have individual home runs powering other things I've not figured I need yet, I am open to suggestions here! I am also planning on just a simple chassis ground to the (-) terminal, not running ground runs back to the battery.

1525904183688.png
1525904210865.png1525904231242.png1525904246472.png

Silverback07

Adventurer
As for the mis-wired trailer, mine was as well. SB sent me a new harness to wire in. I chose to make my own out of heavier gauge wire. Upside to this is that I know where every wire goes. Downside is that I feel this is something they should have caught before sending out the back door. But hey, its still good value for the $$.

YYCRod

As for the mis-wired trailer, mine was as well. SB sent me a new harness to wire in. I chose to make my own out of heavier gauge wire. Upside to this is that I know where every wire goes. Downside is that I feel this is something they should have caught before sending out the back door. But hey, its still good value for the $$.

Wow, how miss-wired was it? I pulled the connector trailer-end apart and the colors match up to the standard 7 pin diagrams. The brake pin on the connector has 2 blue wires (I assume 1 per brake side) connected. I don't want to risk frying my brand new T3 controller. Is there anyway to check with a multimeter? If I hook up a motorcycle battery to the 2 trailer-side connector pins (Brake and Ground), should I hear the brakes engage? BTW, I'Il be posting a few pics of my setup shortly... I borrowed a few ideas from your build. Hope you don't mind:)

Update: I just plugged the trailer into my Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller and trailer was not found. I checked all the connections including the brake-away and brake connectors. Everything is per the manual. I went to the controller diagnostics menu and shows it no brake power or draw on the brake circuit. Running, signal and brake lights work just no trailer brakes. This sucks. I was planing to do its inaugural camping launch this weekend with a bunch of friends. Unless someone has a fix for the wiring fault they have found, looks like i'm dead in the water :(

Does anyone have a schematic of the Scout?

Last edited:

mspenc45

Wow, how miss-wired was it? I pulled the connector trailer-end apart and the colors match up to the standard 7 pin diagrams. The brake pin on the connector has 2 blue wires (I assume 1 per brake side) connected. I don't want to risk frying my brand new T3 controller. Is there anyway to check with a multimeter? If I hook up a motorcycle battery to the 2 trailer-side connector pins (Brake and Ground), should I hear the brakes engage? BTW, I'Il be posting a few pics of my setup shortly... I borrowed a few ideas from your build. Hope you don't mind:)

Update: I just plugged the trailer into my Tekonsha Prodigy P3 Brake Controller and trailer was not found. I checked all the connections including the brake-away and brake connectors. Everything is per the manual. I went to the controller diagnostics menu and shows it no brake power or draw on the brake circuit. Running, signal and brake lights work just no trailer brakes. This sucks. I was planing to do its inaugural camping launch this weekend with a bunch of friends. Unless someone has a fix for the wiring fault they have found, looks like i'm dead in the water :(

Does anyone have a schematic of the Scout?

That could be more than the trailer. I had the same issue initially and it was the connector not being fully mated. It took quote a bit of force. The blue wires should indeed feed the electric brakes. You will not hear any noise when they engage. Make sure they are adjusted per the manual, and then jack one side up and apply power from a battery to the blue wires and check rotation resistance. Also check your vehicle's connector from the front, the 5:00 pin should be the break output, 1:00 should be vehicle's 12 volt. Unfortunately with the P3, it's smarter than it should be and may not send any power out the 5:00 pin if it senses no trailer. Perhaps hook the trailer up and put your volt meter at the back side of the pin with the blue wires.

1525927170122.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior