Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Ysk

Same problem with mine, 3 trips and broken frame, nothing crazy, just some gravel with potholes, total trailer weight was 2500 Lbs with 270 on the tongue, not impressed

View attachment 471102

Been talking with Smittybilt for the last couple days on this issue, they are shipping a new tongue, reinforcement brackets and a few other goodies. From my conversations they really stand behind this trailer. Great to see the support they are providing.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I think it is great to see that they really are doing the right thing here. Perhaps someone made a mistake grinding off the welds and several bad ones went out. But rather than disowning the trailer, they stand behind it, and help people in the best way. I am proud of Smitty to do that. Not always the case. In this case it is.

OregonJKU

The little stove I found pictured earlier in the thread will work even better on the new drawer.
You dont have to modify the latch, as it fits depth wise. It will hang over the backside about 1/2 inch. It will close fine though. You will have to modify the legs on the stove.
My plan this time is to make a new set of legs for the stove. This time with a snap in function so it is easy to lift and clean underneath.
The stove is awesome....... specially after you let it have a 5 pound regulator. Or in my case I put in a variable regulator.
In reality the drawer sliders have a locking mechanism so you could perhaps get by, by removing the lock all together.
View attachment 472550
We have the same/similar stove that we really like. We didn't want it to overhang, so we modified and shortened the latch but kept the handle for ease of opening and closing the drawer. We believe is not necessary for the drawer to be locked since the door can be locked. Plus keeping the latch handle makes it look the same as all the other latches. We shortened our stove's legs and added magnets to the bottom of each leg. The magnets really keeps the stove in place but allows easy removal to clean underneath. We also have an adjustable regulator, and we added a quick connect to the hose. When we're ready for bed we can easily disconnect the hose from the stove but leave it attached to the propane tank, and close the drawer. When it's time to pack up, the disconnected hose easily packs underneath the stove.

Pjacobson

It’s been great following all the conversations on this thread. Lots of great ideas!!! I live in Central California, I ordered
A trailer a little over 4 weeks ago and was given a 4 week lead time. On Friday they told me it would be 2 more weeks. Anyone sharing my experience. I ordered from 4 Wheel Parts.

tankup

It’s been great following all the conversations on this thread. Lots of great ideas!!! I live in Central California, I ordered
A trailer a little over 4 weeks ago and was given a 4 week lead time. On Friday they told me it would be 2 more weeks. Anyone sharing my experience. I ordered from 4 Wheel Parts.

Purchased September 7 from Northridge 4x4 where the Scout was on back order. Northridge had indicated the trailer will drop ship directly from Smitty when ready, and had estimated a 30-day lead time. I called Smitty yesterday for an update and was told the lead time is closer to 60 days now, so maybe there's been an uptick in demand recently.

Kraxler

Wife and I looked at a RTT on a trailer so she could get an idea of how it works, space, difficulty of getting in and out etc. we will now be getting an RTT. Probably the Smittybilt XL with annex. Will also start the mods on the trailer again. Water, battery, charger. Led lights etc.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Finally got some time to finish the stove bracket.
Got $10 worth of angle iron and simply cut and welded a base that fit perfect into the inside of the new drawer.
20180917_101416.jpg

Then a four legs were welded in place.
20180917_110723.jpg

A nice fit and the whole thing got a few coats of high temp matt stove paint.
20180917_114444.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Now I just have to figure out a quick release method. Not that I think it needs it as it sits pretty secure..... but why not.
On another note, I would like to pay forward a favor.
I have two of the old or original stove drawers. One is modded to take this stove with a minute leg molding. The other one is brand new. If anyone are interested in them to modify themself..... they are free to the taking. I am in Grand Junction CO, and will be happy to ship them but at your expense.
20180917_120524.jpg

nvbgblue

We ordered ours on the 10th. Told I should expected 4-6 weeks before it shows up. 4 Wheel Parts out of Reno.

Silverback07

Adventurer
Emailed Smittybuilt on Monday, asked about the frame issues and the fix for it. Basically I got on the list to get it when its released. Had to give them my manufacturer date and the serial number. Also asked about the new stove drawer and if I could purchase one. I was not able to purchase it, they GAVE it to me... and its out for delivery today! So 2 days from an email to my house. Must say customer support has been awesome.

One thing to note, my trailer does not have the ground down weld as shown by others in several photos, my manufacturer date was Mar 2017. I am curious as to those that do have the ground down area what their Mfg date was. Just wonder if its all trailers after a point in time or just random.

Ysk

My date is July 2017 with the ground down failed welds

Like yourself discussions with Smittybilt have been very good, just waiting for the new tongue and reinforcement kit.

broke.jpg

Pjacobson

Just talked to SB, I inquired about lead times. At the present time they have 14 on order (sold) and are expecting delivery of 31 units. The units are shipping from China and once they are shipped it takes 30 days to get to the Port of Los Angeles processed and shipped to their final destination. They have not shipped from China. I asked if they were experiencing any isssues related to imposition of tariffs, they responded no. They also indicated that the quality issues have been addressed.

So in summary, regardless of when you ordered a unit you are looking at least 30 days and more likely 60 days from today. For now we will live vicariously through those that are modifying their units... so send pics.

Kraxler

Then new drawer arrived hike I was out wheeling but ey sent me the original one, not the new design. Will email them tomorrow about this. Still happy with the fast response,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior