Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

ABBRAKADABBRA

Are any of towing the Scout with a Wrangler? What are you doing about the difference in hitch height? The coupler on the trailer measures 8" higher than the receiver on my JLU. The riser drawbar I have interferes with the 33" spare on tailgate. I was planning to put something on trailer side to drop it down like this.

Photos online seem to show Wranglers towing the trailer level, with only a straight bar. Am I missing something?
Velo, I used a hitch extension, 16 inches pin to pin, 23 inches LOA on my JKU, 35's X 12.50. Riser on the trailer side, Rear door cleared the spare easily.

FYI the Smittybilt element ramps can mount using the awning knobs. I can only fit one per side due to thread length, I am going to change out the set screw in the knob with a longer one so i can mount 4 ramps stacked up on one side. They had this one at overland expo.
20180519_172805.jpg

TommaHawk

My idea is to put a simple scissor lift under the RTT, instead of the mounting frame the trailer has now. You could lower it to the deck for travel, raise it up nice and (reasonably) high when you're secured around the campfire. Great idea, too, to utilize those permanent tubes on the sides you slip the frame into now with the pins, so you could still outright remove the whole thing if you want. I have a winch on the garage ceiling perfect for that...

Wouldn't have to be overly complicated, use a nice threaded rod as a direct drive to advance the arms, at the "bottom" at trailer height. That way you could stand there and crank or use a drill/motor as it rises above you. Pretty neat.

Last edited:

ebrabaek

Adventurer
After our first outing with Smitty, we had a few tweaks to work. The rotating jack mounts in the back had to have the holes enlarged just about 0.5mm.
Then next one totally got me by surprise and I have none to blame but myself. If I extend the awning I cannot use that side rain fly as the steel rods would have to go through the awning...lol. oversight on my behalf.
Cut a couple of aluminum blocks. Drilled holes. Mounted them on top of the awning rack. Shortened the two rods and we are golden.
20180613_114648.jpg
20180613_114706.jpg
20180613_114711.jpg

ebrabaek

Adventurer
We had the same problem with our awning. I like your fix. Need to see if we can do the same or similar. Thanks

If you have a local metal shop, see if you can pillage a 1x 1/2 inch aluminum bar. I cut it in 2 inch length. Drilled two holes for two M6x50mm bolts. I then "winged" the angle needed for the rod. Marked that angle on the top block. I then drilled that hole on the side for the rod to be inserted in. You have to take great care not to drill through, or into the M6 holes. I then sanded the blocks on a belt sander, drilled through the awning bracket on the smitty. I had to angle the last 2 inches of the rod about 5 deg, so as to be able to insert it in the aluminum bracket. The top of the awning would interfere. This is off course after you shorten the rods for the rain fly.

The great thing is that the rain will run off the tent, and the fly overlap will create a dry space under the awning. I like it.

Creative placement of the tent will allow you to use the window rods.( at least on the SB tent, others might have different placement) you can see them in my previous post of the element ramps.

Curious why more folks don’t make there entrance to tent out the back. We love having it out the back. Nice extra cover over rear storage. Or are we missing something

I did it off the PS, shade for generator/fridge. DS has the kitchen and awning. i found the ladder to get in the way when its off the back and your going into the rear compartment. i use the flat slider as a table and have another folding table that i put next to it. But with the annex off the rear would be a perfect spot for a bumper dumper.

I did it off the PS, shade for generator/fridge. DS has the kitchen and awning. i found the ladder to get in the way when its off the back and your going into the rear compartment. i use the flat slider as a table and have another folding table that i put next to it. But with the annex off the rear would be a perfect spot for a bumper dumper.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Creative placement of the tent will allow you to use the window rods.( at least on the SB tent, others might have different placement) you can see them in my previous post of the element ramps.

There is no way with the Tepui XL (96x72) that it could be placed with somewhat in the middle CG, that awning and tent would coexist.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles