Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

Silverback07

Adventurer
Ha, Yeah I noticed that. I ordered 2 Anchortrax kits for $51 each and they are now $38 !! Thanks for pointing out the Anchors, going to grab a bunch for $1 a piece. Hard to go wrong there......

I bought another set for $38 today. I just bought a new 2019 F-250 Platinum Powerstroke 4x4.. figure I can add a set to the bottom of the bed. Just gotta talk myself into drilling into this truck.

john61ct

Adventurer
So I guess just depends how heavy / critical the attached loads are.

I just know, like caribiners, lots of stuff is designed to look good for a low price out there, but does not perform as well as you'd see holding wheelchairs in place, or cargo on airplanes.

Silverback07

Adventurer
I have had them in my Tacoma for 12 years and have never had a failure and I was not just driving down the highway with the load just sitting there.

thardin68

Just wondered if we one else dislikes the RTT ladders. We wanted something with a wider step and found it for free. By opening the tent to the rear of the trailer we just go out the front of the tent and step where the spare tire used to be. So nice and easy getting in for an old man and my young bride approves also!
Nice! If you look at videos from "Drifta" in Australia, they have a few set ups where this is the basis of the design. He has some pretty cool ideas. I am going to be copying one of his pull out kitchens for our trailer. I would love to make that work, if I could just figure out how to run the XL Sideways !

ebrabaek

Adventurer
XO 750 installed.
The old very flimsy jack was 21 pounds. XO 750 says 41 pounds, but I suspect it is more like 35.
Sorry but I did not weigh it before installing.
Drilled 4 new holes and trimmed the bracket as it was protruding about 1.5 inches on top and bottom.
I really like this beast. Were I to do this again I feel very comfortable the XO 500 would be more than enough and save 10 pounds......
With a 204 pound tongue weight thisbis well within the 1650 pound rating of the XO 750....ha.
There were 6.5 inch extension to level the trailer on level ground. The Jack itself will slide up and down and then the removable crank lever takes care of the rest.
At full extension there were 28 inch height in front of the hitch.
I figure if I ever need more I'd put a block under it.
Note how you can maneuver the Jack and lock the wheel in the up and out of the way position.
This is really cool.

thardin68

XO 750 installed.
Awesome, thanks for the update. I have one in the garage waiting for my return to install. I decided on the strength of this unit to cover me if I were to have to winch the trailer out of a tough situation. I figured the 750 would be up to that task. I am going to weld the stock mount on the other side and keep the factory set-up to use in case I need to raise to a height that the XO can not accommodate. I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare in case one of the rear jacks failed at some point.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Awesome, thanks for the update. I have one in the garage waiting for my return to install. I decided on the strength of this unit to cover me if I were to have to winch the trailer out of a tough situation. I figured the 750 would be up to that task. I am going to weld the stock mount on the other side and keep the factory set-up to use in case I need to raise to a height that the XO can not accommodate. I figured it wouldn't be a bad idea to have a spare in case one of the rear jacks failed at some point.

After installing the 750, I am very impressed about how sturdy the front of the trailer became. My personal opinion is that this is sturdy enough. Regarding the lift, I plan on using a plastic block if the 750 does not raise it enough. I would not want the extra 21 pounds on the tounge, but that's just me.
This unit is beefy, and I think you will like it.

misubisu

Did another mod this weekend... My new hot water system arrived a few days ago and I've been pondering where to mount it.
There was a lot of wasted space in the generator compartment so I decided to utilise the space better:
  • I removed the generator basket and cut it down to the size of my generator.
  • I removed the rails and repositioned them all the way to the kitchen side.
  • I re-drilled the hole for the locking bolt.
  • I mounted the hot water system on the inside of the door (holding it in with stainless steel wing nuts, so that it can be easily removed).

bobebm

That is what we did. Added the extra stand but it wasn't enough and upgraded the original to the XO. Spent some extra money for the black one. Thank you to YYCRod for sharing pictures of his set up so as to figure out where to drill the holes.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Did another mod this weekend... My new hot water system arrived a few days ago and I've been pondering where to mount it.
There was a lot of wasted space in the generator compartment so I decided to utilise the space better:
  • I removed the generator basket and cut it down to the size of my generator.
  • I removed the rails and repositioned them all the way to the kitchen side.
  • I re-drilled the hole for the locking bolt.
  • I mounted the hot water system on the inside of the door (holding it in with stainless steel wing nuts, so that it can be easily removed).
View attachment 515496View attachment 515497View attachment 515498View attachment 515499View attachment 515500

That looks great and functional. Well done.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
After installing the 750, I am very impressed about how sturdy the front of the trailer became. My personal opinion is that this is sturdy enough. Regarding the lift, I plan on using a plastic block if the 750 does not raise it enough. I would not want the extra 21 pounds on the tounge, but that's just me.
This unit is beefy, and I think you will like it.

I was thinking of the ArkPak EX350 jack. Has a static weight of 770 lbs and 30" of lift. Much cheaper as well. Did you consider the XO350 or just went with the most HD jack?

jojackc

Nice jack I really want one. But man at only 28" at the hitch I wouldn't be able to hitch up to my truck. Blocks would work for camping and unloading. But what if I did get stuck? Then I'm gonna have to use blocks to get it off the truck. Hook up the wench and pull it off of the blocks, not sure if it would hold up to that type of abuse.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
I was thinking of the ArkPak EX350 jack. Has a static weight of 770 lbs and 30" of lift. Much cheaper as well. Did you consider the XO350 or just went with the most HD jack?

I considered both the 350 and 500 as well..... they all have the same lift and just varies in thickness.... and obviously weight.
My thought were that as the Smitty sits high.... and as it appears many ausie trailers dont sit so high.... I would be putting quite the torque on it with just over 200 pounds...... at mostly full extension.
That being the case I thought best buy the neediest I could.
After it arrived it was very clear to me that the 500 would have been plenty.
The stock tongue weight of the Smitty is between 350 and 385.
I measured both and that will really benefit from the double wide wheel.

ebrabaek

Adventurer
Nice jack I really want one. But man at only 28" at the hitch I wouldn't be able to hitch up to my truck. Blocks would work for camping and unloading. But what if I did get stuck? Then I'm gonna have to use blocks to get it off the truck. Hook up the wench and pull it off of the blocks, not sure if it would hold up to that type of abuse.

The 28 is 4 inches higher than level.
I measured just over 24 inches height at the hitch when level.
I tow with a 2018 f150 and it comes on and off with no problems. I can however see that sometimes it might not be enough.
$10 blocks from wallymart.
Raises another 6 inches.
That is not on par with stock, and I need those anyway as I have been camping more than once and rain squals came in.
I would do this again.....and again.
My pin hole in the stock Jack have enlarged the hole on the trailer to the point it was wobbling a good amount.
Once you see this hitch you would consider it.
I think the xo500 is plenty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles