Smittybilt Scout Trailer Reviews?

mfcoffroad

Hey guys....long time lurker on here and been reading everything for about a year. Finally picked up the trailer via someone selling from down south. It was a deal I couldn't pass up. I've got big plans for this since it is business related expense. I own the company called MFC Offroad, and well....it's basically funded by our clients :). Ive got a ton of goodies to put on it and into it. Here is the list so far:

Currently have: ARB 82 qt. fridge/freezer, Wilco hitchgate spare tire mount, genesis offroad dual battery setup, Smittybilt generator, custom wheels to match the beadlocks we make, 3 axis hitch, 42 qt frontier play dry box, CVT 2+ tent, Solar panels, controllers, NOCO Gen1, 10 gallon propane, Propane mount, water heater, Spod unit....and a bunch of other goodies.

Things to come: custom sink/burner hob, 15 gallon Front runner water tank, 270 degree awning (howling moon), camp lighting and possible upgrade to a 4+ tent, road shower 4L...

Pics for you guys to see what I'm working with:

Attachments

• IMG_8677.jpg
    IMG_8677.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 116
  • IMG_8970 (1).jpg
    IMG_8970 (1).jpg
    978.3 KB · Views: 112

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
I'm hoping to get my trailer this Friday but I have a question. How wide is the box behind the spare tire ? The only measurement I could find was the internal box size of 47".

I'm trying to see if a water tank I have a line one will fit.

Thanks

mfcoffroad

Well the trailer looks familiar... but the Jeep, on the other hand... I haven't seen that model before!
I look forward to the updates along with lots of pics.
I hope you enjoy the journey.
LOL. correct. We pioneered the platform going from 1 SKU to over 30 in just over 2 years. Small business, with 6 continent reach. Been to SEMA, Easter Jeep Safari, and even recommended by Jeep and Mopar now. Im really looking forward to getting the trailer just right. I want to take the family and I know if they don't like it the first time, they won't want to do it again....so planning is a must.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Thanks The tank I wanted to fit is 50" wide. might not work. I'd better get the trailer before I order the tank.

TxFireman

I also have the XL and the pivot point covers is where I am sure the bugs are getting in. My daughters hand was pretty much right next to it when she woke up and said there is something crawling on my hand. After I killed that spider I had to check the whole tent and found two more. The next day I found two more but didn't say anything to the wife lol. I was thinking maybe sewing in some extra velcro as well to make sure I can seal it off completely. The annex also has a lot of open spots that bugs can get in at. My wife left a light on one night while we where out at the camp fire and the annex was full of flying bugs. That she can live with, but I have to figure out a way to keep spiders out of the sleeping area.

You could probably save a lot of effort and just stuff some rags in between the mattress and where the velcro flaps down. As of yet I haven't had any issues with mine in that regard.

TxFireman

I've tried looking back through the pages with no luck, but does anyone have the part number for additional support bars for the Smittybilt XL RTT? We've just been using the 2 that came with it, but I'd like to order 2 more before our next trip. We'll be out for roughly 3 weeks, so I'd like to ensure it doesn't become an issue.

I've tried looking back through the pages with no luck, but does anyone have the part number for additional support bars for the Smittybilt XL RTT? We've just been using the 2 that came with it, but I'd like to order 2 more before our next trip. We'll be out for roughly 3 weeks, so I'd like to ensure it doesn't become an issue.

it'S 2883-04 , I talked to my rep and they said due to overwhelming request for rails they are out for a while since they only stock them for warranty claims and dont have them setup as a large stocking item for sales. They normally keep a few in stock for warranty claims and never anticipated so many request for additional rails.

TxFireman

it'S 2883-04 , I talked to my rep and they said due to overwhelming request for rails they are out for a while since they only stock them for warranty claims and dont have them setup as a large stocking item for sales. They normally keep a few in stock for warranty claims and never anticipated so many request for additional rails.

Ah, ok. Well, I guess we'll make due with it as we have been. Thanks for the info, man.

I guess if I had to I can barrow the smaller ones off my small smittybilt RTT. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would at least give extra support between the scouts bars for this trip.

Last edited:

thardin68

Ah, ok. Well, I guess we'll make due with it as we have been. Thanks for the info, man.

I guess if I had to I can barrow the smaller ones off my small smittybilt RTT. It wouldn't be perfect, but it would at least give extra support between the scouts bars for this trip.

Not sure what size the SB items are but Home Depot and many other stores sell Unistrut in 10' lengths that is about 1-5/8". Might work for you to allow some additional support for the full length.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superst...Channel-Gold-Galvanized-ZA1200HS-10/100125003

You can also look at 80/20 extrusions which also provide the benefit of t-slot for fastening other items. Many sources. Here is one

https://www.grainger.com/category/m...ing-systems?brandName=80/20&filters=brandName

TxFireman

Not sure what size the SB items are but Home Depot and many other stores sell Unistrut in 10' lengths that is about 1-5/8". Might work for you to allow some additional support for the full length.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Superst...Channel-Gold-Galvanized-ZA1200HS-10/100125003

You can also look at 80/20 extrusions which also provide the benefit of t-slot for fastening other items. Many sources. Here is one

https://www.grainger.com/category/material-handling/structural-framing-systems?brandName=80/20&filters=brandName

Thanks, man, I take a look at it and see if I can get something together before out trip. So many things to do still and it's getting closer. I need an extra one of me to divide up the work, lol.

jmlarson

So I have a Family of four. My wife, two girls (4 and 8), my fat self fit just fine in the smittybult XL roof top tent. We also purchased the annex with the plan to have the girls sleep down there with an air up mattress. The girls want to sleep up top though lol. The dog (a 90lb blue tick coon hound) gets the annex all to her self lol. It could easily fit a queen size air up mattress and the dog though. I have read other people having problems with the XL roof top tent bending on them when put on the trailer. I have not had this issue. But I will say that the Annex does not fit right on the trailer. Even on the max pin setting the annex is not high enough. I have fixed this by bringing car ramps with me that you would work on your car with. I drive the trailer onto them. Then use those huge plastic lego type trailer helpers to level out the trailer. I plan on building new tent risers that are much longer then can just raise the tent to the right level. I would also like to make a set up where the tent assembly can be pushed out from the trailer once in place. Even if I raise the annex it is still too close to the tire. I could off set it but I feel like towing would feel it.

jojack - I see you are in phoenix. I am as well, and am looking to do exactly the same thing with my XL tent and annex. IIRC it needs to go up 10" and over 12" to clear the tire. If you want to get together sometime and brainstorm, let me know. I'll PM you my email

The extra support is really needed outside of the scout tent rack. You could get some 3/8" thick metal post from home depot (less than$4 each), they are about the same width as the extrusions, weld a few of them to length and then drill a few holes so they can help reinforce the tent extrusions. I did my first build like this and its still holding up.

Fullkontact

I also have the XL and the pivot point covers is where I am sure the bugs are getting in. My daughters hand was pretty much right next to it when she woke up and said there is something crawling on my hand. After I killed that spider I had to check the whole tent and found two more. The next day I found two more but didn't say anything to the wife lol. I was thinking maybe sewing in some extra velcro as well to make sure I can seal it off completely. The annex also has a lot of open spots that bugs can get in at. My wife left a light on one night while we where out at the camp fire and the annex was full of flying bugs. That she can live with, but I have to figure out a way to keep spiders out of the sleeping area.

Wow really in the annex too? Does the Smittybilt annex not seal up good? Where are they getting in there from? In buggy locations we go to red light constantly. Bugs seem not to really attracted to the red.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles