Smoker - Electric or Charcoal?

85_Ranger4x4

I only have charcoal, I like it. Both grill and smoker.

We have an acreage with a bunch of trees so I can use windfalls from them to cook on the cheap.

Pear tree lost a big branch a couple years ago, working on it right now and am really enjoying it.

aknightinak

Years ago I built a shed-sized smoker and used wood over a few charcoal briquets. I liked that a lot. I could do 30–40 salmon at once. These days, different home, I use a hand-me-down Big Chief and mostly only smoke fish. I can only do 4–5 salmon this way, but I rarely dip net anymore and rely on daily, hook-and-line limits of 3–6.

However, I gave up using the electric hot plate years ago. Rather, I light the wood chunks (not chips) by hand with a plumbing torch. It's more labor intensive: it takes three or four tries to get the wood coaled-up enough to carry itself, but as easy as it is to overheat a Chief-style smoker, this method makes for a nice, cold smoke, which is important to me if I'm going to jar it. I've had enough hot-smoked, over-dried, jarred salmon to last me a lifetime. I vary the woods I use between hickory, alder, and willow or use mixes of them. Cottonwood is the worst, imo. To my palate, it makes the fish reminiscent of a Marlboro Light.

Back in the early-'00s I got to spend a couple of weeks fish camping with a Yup'ik family that I became friends with through working in western Alaska, and it seriously upped my fish smoking game. Hereabouts, I try to do as much as I can before the first or second week in July when the flies start laying eggs, then usually hold out until late August or September to do any more.

Brine? I rarely bother with complex wet brines for fish anymore but use about 1:4 salt to brown sugar as a dry brine. Sometimes, I'll just use a salt shaker that I keep filled with canning salt and sprinkle only about as much as I'd use at the table.
Drying? I'll use a fan sometimes, but I prefer to air dry it. If I'm doing dry fish or jerky, I'll hang that stuff for a week or more. Egam, or half-dried, can sit up to three days before I put it on the smoker. And no, not in the fridge.
Smoke? Again, not very hot but for further drying and flavor. I don't roll pans and pans of smoke, either, 2–3, tops. Sooty, bitter, smoked fish is the worst.

807285.jpg

Last edited:

Fishenough

Creeper

I've never had enough smoked or canned salmon .

I've gone back to a wet brine since getting a Bradley smoker, but only for smoked salmon candy recipes. Air drying in a cool area with a strong fan on the fish, the starting the smoke at low temperatures and gradually raising the temps over the day.

Spent 30 years using my big Chief smoker with great results and dry brine, can't bring myself to part with it despite using the Bradley now.
dc2a85843539de7810bf3977cc5beef7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981W using Tapatalk

TwinStick

Explorer
We have an electric Mastercraft. Honestly, I used it 1x. I filled it up with chicken, sausage, brisket and pork. Turned out fabulous. Kids moved out and we don't eat much anymore..

Flyelk1

I purchased a Pit Barrel Cooker five years ago amd have never looked back. It’s charcoal and if I want smoke flavor, I throw wood on the charcoal. It’s easy, maintenance free, and consistent temps.

I even bought a smaller version of it two years ago for easier transport/use. Love the PBC.

I have a few different pellet smokers but I absolutely love my Green Mountain Grill Davey Crocket. It is small enough to take camping if you are planning on being out for a long time. It uses either 12 volt or adapts to 110 so you can use it at home. I have smoked everything from a Turkey on our annual Thanksgiving trips to ribs or tri tip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke