Snakes

bucketosudz

Explorer
Simple, Avoid them!! When happened upon, give them space. Afterall it is their turf we are treading on. With that being said, inevitably the more time we spend in the outdoors we will run across them. Unless your going to eat them, Leave them be. This has always been my take anyhow.

Rallyroo

Expedition Leader
I let the snake finish slithering across the road or trail. If the snake won't budge or is slow to move, I get out, pick up the snake with a long stick and place him safely onto the other side of the trail before he turns into roadkill.

So far, in all of my snake encounters, the snakes that I have helped appeared appreciative.

HarryT

Adventurer
If in a vehicle, I dodge them or wait them out. My question was about hiking.
Usually if I see a snake a good distance away from me I just make a little extra noise and it moves out of the path or I take a detour. Its the ones that are within striking distance that I'm concerned about. Snakes that are stretched out are no problem to scoop up with a walking stick but the coiled snakes (ready to strike) are another matter. Some snakes like the puff adder are so short and fat that they are almost impossible to pick up with a stick. Mambas are mean and can out run me. Cobras make me lose my nerve (and other bodily functions). I don't want to hurt a snake but I'm not real fond of getting close enough to pick them up with a four foot long walking stick. I don't want to move the snake only to have it bite someone else in the group.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
I walk with a heavy foot in snake country, most of them want to get out of your way and move on. The Puff Adder you have to almost stand on to get bitten, the Mamba and Cobra will stand their ground at least and attack at worst.

My advise give them plenty of room, learn what they look like and where they live, constantly visually sweep the path in front of you and train your eye to spot any type of movement.

Remember not all of them live on the ground some of them live in trees. I've seen some wonderful Boomslang, Boa, and even Black Mambas cruising the branches. Water snakes, sea snakes, etc.

Handling and moving snakes with a stick is a sure way to get bitten unless you really know what you are doing. Move around them don't move them around you.

Aggie

Adventurer
Down here in Texas I mostly come across Water Mocassins and in that case if I see one I start boogeying the other direction in a very short amount of time. If it is a blue racer, field snake or grass snake you can normally just shoo them on and they will go about their business. BUT If I sneak up on a Water Moccassin on accident and they strike at me, I know I would rather have a dead snake on my property than me trying to limp my way back to the truck to make it to a hospital in time. Just my opinion but nature be damned when my health is on the line with a venoumous snake.

offroad_nomad

Adventurer
Don't mess with venomous snakes. I nearly stepped on this nice Copperhead during a night field exercise last year. Myself and another instructor were moving fast along a trail and not paying too much attention to what was immediately in front of us.
CH1.jpg

Jonathan Hanson

Supporting Sponsor
Beautiful copperhead!

It's important to remember that snakes cannot hear. They can sense vibrations through the ground, but shouting at them is futile.

Virtually all snakes (although I do sometimes wonder about black mambas) just want to stay out of your way. If you leave them alone they'll leave you alone.

I move them out of our yard now and then. Usually just a hundred yards or so, so they're still in territory they recognize. Translocating snakes long distances has been shown to be problematic for their survival.

Yardsnake2.jpg

Last edited:

James86004

Expedition Leader
I picked up a rock once when I was a kid that had a little copperhead underneath. It took off in the direction opposite me as fast as it could.

Another time I was on the bridge over the branch on our farm in Tennessee, and looking down at the minnows. I realized they were all looking in the same direction - into the cavity the stream had carved out under the walnut tree. Suddenly they all disappeared, and a snake came darting out from under the tree. I ran home.

I have an irrational fear of snakes. When I see one, I jump, then am petrified. Even ones I see behind glass at the zoo. I can handle heights, bugs, and smells, but snakes bug me.

FurthurOnTheFly

Glamping Society
I have an irrational fear of snakes. When I see one, I jump, then am petrified. Even ones I see behind glass at the zoo. I can handle heights, bugs, and smells, but snakes bug me.

I'm with you on this one James. We had a bullsnake (I think...I didn't get close enough to ask him his name) slithering across our driveway last year and I about came out of my skin! I love living on the mountain preserve 90% of the year except when the creepy crawlies start coming out...I'm constantly paranoid about finding one in our garage or curled up on our doorstep! YICK!!

BigAl

Expedition Leader
I asked this same question on Expo a while back, my favorite response...

Best way to move a snake? With a shovel, half a snake at a time:elkgrin:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles