Snow Peak Addiction

Welcome to my world...this has been eating at me for weeks. Some cat in Japan is making these, doesn't speak english and Google translate doesn't work very well with the details. He kept saying it's just a prototype but then I saw this! His IG is @bonfire_go_outside so maybe if more of us pester him :unsure:
More pics as well...there's a version that folds out for double the space too.
I think I see enough of the construction to have a go at one. I think what looks like a foldout is actually two tops in one set of rails.

OK cool, I have 3 stacking boxes, so two will have a normal sliding top and one will have a double top/table :D
At least one of the lids will be a cutting board.

The basis is pretty straight forward. Two wooden struts, held in place by small magnets and a small lip for the two cut-outs in each end.
Then an L-profile (I am thinking stainless for strength) screwed onto the struts leaving room enough for another L-profile attached to the lid to slide in.
I haven't quite worked out how the L-profile is attached to the lid, but I think the wooden trim covers it. Else I will have to make some sort of slit/groove. Will find out as I go along.

Hardest part so far is to make (six) identical struts because of the rounded corner (did I mention I am by no means a pro wood worker ;)). Shouldn't make a lot of functional difference if they are not perfect but I think it is in keeping with the Snow Peak spirit to at least strive for perfection :)

kudos to you for diving in...I have a hard time folding laundry, so I won't bother trying to figure this out. If you have checked out his full link, you really should. He's got a bunch of pretty detailed posts on how his works: https://www.instagram.com/bonfire_go_outside/?hl=en
Using Google translate on several of his posts, he talks about it not being a simple thing...but I also get the impression that he is really detailed and, to your point, trying to keep with the SP lines of craftsmanship

I got the three sets of struts done yesterday. I clamped the six pieces together and tried to shape them as one. Still want to rub them down with sandpaper a bit more but the shape is OK. Not perfect but close enough for an amateur ;)

I bought some aluminum L-profiles instead of stainless. 20x20x2 mm should be plenty strong and a lot lighter (and cheaper...)
Now I need to cut and mount the L-profiles. Ordered some 10mm magnets which should arrive any day now.
If I am boing you guys let me know :)

First slider is cut (not mounted). Five more to go with curve and then 6 more for the lids :D

Last edited:
3 sets of sliders done and cut the little wooden lips to slot into the cutouts in the box. Of cours this is not a standard size hole, so it took quite a bit of sanding to get it to fit neatly :(.
The magnets came in, so it is time to assemble the sliders. I still need to cut a little notch to fit the cutouts and a hole for the magnets. Nothing really complicated so far but quite a bit of work none the less.
Below a mockup to see where it is going.

cheers (y)

UPDATE: And with a bit more effort the six sliders are done

Time for a beer :D
Now onto the lid/top ....

Last edited:
No, that is a different size. I think we are looking at a separate lid to be released?

Edit: or is it the small box in the picture?
Edit2: I think it is the small box :)
I don't have one but I see this box has only two 'dents' in the corner and the large has three (y)

It will not be a tight fit I think, but it should work I suppose. I wouldn't mind if they made a proper version of these for the stacking containers.

Last edited:
Prototype with the lid

Thoughts so far:

- it is fun to do but it is a lot of work without templates or a jig of some sort (and a woodworking shop with lots of tools :))
- the top is now solid wood with hardwood trim, which is nice but makes it a bit heavy. I might make a skeleton version next.
- it is a quite precise process to get the lid to run smoothly. Once you have assembled the top, that is it, you can't fidget with it any more because the L profile is covered by the trim
- the trim needs to be smooth and finished before you add it, or else you will need to sand the top and risk damaging the black finish (which of course I managed to do :giggle:)
- once assembled the construction is very strong. I could sit on the lid so putting other boxes on top of it is no problem what so ever.

Lord knows I love Snow Peak gadgets, but doesn't putting the top on these SP boxes negate using the unique folding action? And if you're gonna negate the folding action, wouldn't just putting a flip up lid be a heck of a lot easier?

Lord knows I love Snow Peak gadgets, but doesn't putting the top on these SP boxes negate using the unique folding action? And if you're gonna negate the folding action, wouldn't just putting a flip up lid be a heck of a lot easier?
In short .... YES
A little more elaborate: "You are right, no sane person would do this or want to, there are much easier solutions :D"
As you state, with the top on you can't fold the box. It could very well be that a flip up lid would be easier (although I don't know yet how that would work). Perhaps a regular box with lid would then be better.

But.....to me it is similar to the IGT. There are much easier ways to set up a table, or a cooking unit, or shelves, or....., but the IGT does all of that. It adds complexity in favour of diversity (and of course Japanese origami gadgets are just cool ;))
The box still folds, but you can add the sliding top in seconds. You can put two boxes on top of each other and create a raised worksurface but still have acces to both boxes. You can use a box with the top as a cutting board and still have access to the contents. You can add the table extension, put on a folded box and still have acces to the bottom box via the sliding lid. Put two tops in one box or use the hinged top to create a low dining table.

Thruth is, I liked the look and the design and had a go. I will keep you posted on if it is practical (y)
For sure, I would not recommend making your own unless you enjoy the work :giggle: