Snow Peak Addiction

jtosbo00

Observer
RE: SP’s New Kitchen Stand Initial Review

This is a continuation on my previous posts regards to the new kitchen stand. After assembling my setup, including some of the accessories and 2 cookouts, I have some additional thoughts about it.

The Setup:
It will take a little bit longer to set this new kitchen up in comparison to the IGT frame/tables. It’s not too bad and its simply because of the fact that SP is using bolts this time and that requires not only screwing them in place but also tightening the bolts, especially if they are going to holding heavier loads like a loaded IGT frame with stove/grill.

It’s quite versatile as you can see in the photos. I was able to attach the windscreen, handing wire, and the “dish rack”. All of these items were purchased from Cat & Kai (sp?). I noticed a couple of things when using the IGT frame connector and installing the windscreen on the IGT frame. First, you need to install the windscreen first before placing into the IGT connectors. Second, the windscreen from Cat & Kai will force the IGT forward on the connectors and partially blocks the hole where you bolt the IGT frame into the connector. It doesn’t really effect the overall use without the bolts in place but I would prefer to leave the connectors attached to the IGT frame permanently while storing it. It would be easier to simply drop the IGT frame with the connectors attached into the kitchen stand (also leave the bolts on the legs). I plan on grinding/cutting out a small part of the windscreen to allow me to do this (about .5in square on each side).

The side connectors I bought are obviously for the bamboo extension tables but I was able to use the hooks on the IGT frames (3U & 2U) to attach them. I’ve purchased an additional IGT connector set as I may want these two sides table to be a “permanent fixture” as well. Something to note that I didn’t realize before I purchased the kitchen stand, the two feet in the front allow you to unscrew and level out the stand if needed.

The Cooking Experience:
First, my biggest positive experience is having shelves directly below the cooking surface. Having previously used the 4U IGT frame in the past for cooking, I had to remind myself a few times that I had shelves below. Often when you need to move something out of the way, swap something, or simply store it, its right there at your feet. I loved having this and it makes you realize how much you want it after using the IGT frame. Of course, you can get hanging frames for the IGT frame and it would do just fine.

The shelves are solid and feel quite sturdy. I wouldn’t try to step up on it but placing a heavy charcoal bag or SP container would be no problem. The top bar is a nice feature. I am tall (6’3”) and I used to have the utensils, towels, etc. hang from the IGT frame itself but having it up high on the top bar was a welcomed change for me. You can visibly see what you need while juggling the cooking and just grab it. I can also see it being more accessible for other people to quickly grab what they need without needing you to get it for them or step out of the way. You can also place one of SP half storage containers or something similar (paper towel rack, napkin holder, utensils, etc.). One thing I do wish SP did a little better: the attachment point for the top bar is slightly too big I think. While its easy to slide in the top bar in the slots, the bar tilts down ever so slightly. The slight tilt will have tall items like a cooking spray tilting a little. However, the Cat & Kai unit I was using is shallow, so a deeper container like the SP Stainless Steel Container will be more secure. But if I’m being picky, and I am, it could be better to avoid this.

While cooking, the table is sturdy and I didn’t have any issues of wobbling. Will it wobble if you bump it hard? Of course, but depending how heavy the stuff you have on it, it will be minor at best I think. My use cases pretty much call for the top rack to be used for cooking and since my first impression is positive, I don’t think I will be using the old setup with just the IGT frame on legs. I have 2 other 4U frames and they will be used for serving larger gatherings and/or cleaning & drying dishes.

Other Notes:
Storage bag. Why, why, why SP do you make us go buy a storage bag for this? It doesn’t cost too much to throw in one. I’m disappointed its not included. So yea, I ordered the nylon/pvc bag and its on its way. I’ll have to post again how everything fits when I get a chance. It really should have its own!

b71a6aad18a2e56e8d67c06c709431d5.jpg

UPDATE (3/22/2019):
I got a new set of IGT connectors for the kitchen stand. Upon installing these on the outside of the kitchen stand frame, I discovered that tightening the bolts with another set of IGT connectors opposite is pretty challenging using a coin or short tool. I ended up buying a Japanese flat head screwdriver that has a rounded edge. Much easier but another thing to add to my list of items to take when camping.

However, getting the 2nd set of IGT connectors was moot when I discovered that the IGT frames have much more ‘wobble’ using these connectors. I reverted back to the old setup using the side connectors in combination with the hooks. Much better and will stick with this method.

One more related item to note, when using the bolts with just one side having a connector, the bolt leaves some play on the connector and that causes a little bit of wobble. I bought some nylon washers to eliminate this. The included shelves don’t have this issue.

Finally, I cut out a tiny notch on the corners of the Cat & Kai windscreens to allow the IGT frame to slide back just enough to line up the holes and bolt in the IGT connectors. However, I had to use nylon washers to tighten the bolts as well.

Is it absolutely necessary for the additional hardware? In short, no. I plan to leave some of the connectors permanently attached to the IGT frame and kitchen stand so having a tight connection is important to me while they are stored in my Thule trailer. I prefer to have things bolted down and/or tight for those long trips on the road.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

jtosbo00

Observer
After my 1st two cookouts, I needed a trash can or, I convinced myself I really needed one. More specifically, SP’s new trash bin. Yep. I need it. Ok, I wanted it, sue me! Pictures!!

467f50b6e59da222cc9f4f00ca6d848e.jpg
90c58bb0b779fbb8435ca940f863a7ca.jpg
b62005a8548729d96fd56e0e18d84e19.jpg
902c3b24cfa3d91b705106f5af71fd44.jpg
d50cd5e6380baa79445d7283555424e9.jpg

Note: you can use 3 standard size grocery bags or one 45l trash bag.

Last edited:

Lennart

Adventurer
Beef Short Ribs and King Oyster Mushrooms over Charcoal via SP IGT

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Oh yeah, that's what I call cooking. Love it !
Care to share the recipe for the Beef Short Ribs ? Braised and grilled or only braised?
Baby paksoi as a side dish?
Eryngii are some of the tastiest mushrooms around.
All in all a Five Star Meal :D

WestWorld

The mesh rack and trash can look about the same or at least the same frame?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I haven't seen the two items in person but yes, it looks like the frame is the same for both. I have the older SP trash bin. It's simpler in design and holds two bags compared to three bags in the newer model.

motoz

Adventurer
Oh yeah, that's what I call cooking. Love it !
Care to share the recipe for the Beef Short Ribs ? Braised and grilled or only braised?
Baby paksoi as a side dish?
Eryngii are some of the tastiest mushrooms around.
All in all a Five Star Meal :D

Very astute Chef...

Yes the Short Ribs were sugar / salt cured for 3hrs then poached in ‘master stock’.
I use this mostly for a lot of Duck, Chicken & Pork dishes but also works with Beef.

b3433acdf9f58dbdd5550c2d669fc61a.jpg

Basically a stock base with Star Anise, Fennel, Cinnamon, Clove, Szechwan Pepper & Coriander seed. Fresh Ginger, Garlic, Scallions with Soy Sauce and palm sugar.

As I was cooking Beef I added carrot, celery and Onion to the stock and 1 chilli for a bit of bite.

I poached the ribs for about 1hr then cooled before finishing them on the charcoal.

The greens were Bok Choy with XO Sauce (home made)

And the Oyster Mushrooms were just grilled then lightly baked in the micro oval. Garnished with Katsu Bonito.

It wasn’t really a planned dish, the wife told me around lunchtime that a friend were coming for dinner @ 6pm.

I couldn’t be bothered going to the shops so I just used what we had in the fridge

eb04f5d909f2894b9cd2f999a488f07f.jpg

jtosbo00

Observer
UniFlame

Someone or a few mentioned UniFlame in this thread before and recommended the brand. I purchased a few UniFlame products lately.

After getting the hanging rack from Cat & Kai, I wasn’t too crazy using the included hooks to hang the utensils. That’s when I saw how UniFlame’s tools were designed. Wish I had these sooner! If you have a similar setup, I would recommend these!

c810a600ae648b7b3b23d18e888f4817.jpg

motoz

Adventurer
Not entirely SP though I did a little lunch cook the other day with our IKEA ‘Hobo Stove’

Steak, Ginger Tea and Marshmallows for dessert

8a78ba99a7d562e84864d7f9c57bda97.jpg

f273d09e00ce2cfd955a80f5af071bda.jpg
41ecfe7403386771c0d65c0ba4eaea5f.jpg
7f310a3b4a0253916d11f35e208a5ce8.jpg

The stove is a modified IKEA cutlery bucket. Stainless Steel and makes a great little biomass cooking option. Easily heats a cast pan and boils 1lt of water in around 6 min.
Cheap and very effective.

74b6e7c444ed6f57d451cbf6121fa6eb.jpg

8a3cb118dde76a92ab251c211186e72d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles