So I’m a Masochist

silverscout

Adventurer
Two weeks ago my wife and I decided to buy a "new" truck. Something that would take on the duties of light trail duty and weekend worriering but be driven daily to meet our commuting needs. Six months ago we sold our 97 LX 450 as it was taking on a life of its own. We were never really happy with its performance, unless you’re talking off road. Hands down it wins.

After serious deliberation (I’m talking Xterra, Jeep, G 500, ect...) we came to a 2003 Land Rover Discovery. I always told myself I would never buy a Land Rover. So yes, my name is Sean and I'm a masochist.

My goal for this vehicle is to not touch it. Yes, I plan to take a stock Discovery and turn it into nothing! I might by some new shoes but really, if this Disco can't do it, I shouldn’t be there.

We did take our Rover to Yosemite this weekend and although we never hit the dirt with it, we found it to be a much better road trip truck than the LX. It had gobs of power in the mountains, plenty of room for the all our stuff and a even a power port for the Engel fridge. So far, we love it.

So from you guys, is there anything I should watch out for on this particular model? I did try out the traction control a few weeks ago and it sucks, well compared to a diff locked Rover.

Also, any one have any experience with what wheel/tire combo works best on these? I'm thinking slightly larger than stock on the smallest diameter wheel I can fit.

Well here it is:

Last edited:

mountainpete

Spamicus Eliminatus
Like mentioned in another thread, Rovers are like Bond girls. They are sultry and beautiful, but there's a good chance they're trying to kill you.

Congratulations on a beautiful truck :sunflower

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
Check out www.lrrforums.com. There are a lot of us 'masochists' out there.:REExeSquatsHL1: The only thing that sucks about your particular year is that the transfer case has no CDL (center differential lock). You can swap one in if you find one for a good price. Other than that, consider running 245/75-16's. That is a great size for a DII with no lift. It should meet your needs just fine.:victory:

Blair G

Adventurer
silverscout said:
My goal for this vehicle is to not touch it. Yes, I plan to take a stock Discovery and turn it into nothing! :
Yeah sure! You are among friends here. In order to be honest with others you have to be honest with yourself. Here is a link to test yourself http://www.safarigard.com/

Good luck to you,
Blair

Andrew Walcker

Mod Emeritus
silverscout said:
So yes, my name is Sean and I'm a masochist.:

I'm laughing because that is exactly what I said to myself two years ago as I got rid of my FJ40 and got the D-90!

silverscout said:
My goal for this vehicle is to not touch it. Yes, I plan to take a stock Discovery and turn it into nothing!:

And that is what I told my wife at the same time:D, and this is what she is still doing to me!:littlefriend:

Last edited:

silverscout

Adventurer
I'm getting the feeling you guys believe I'm going to modify this truck. Theres been a direct prohibition on any aftermarket movment. Thats coming straight from the top!

I did take it to Hollister for a short trip two weeks ago. I was out there tooling around for a few hours and found this truck to do exactly what I thought it would do. I'm not taking it to the Rubicon any time soon but it has a semi functional traction control system. I think more agresive tires would bring some grip to its tractionaly challenged ways.

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
silverscout said:
I'm getting the feeling you guys believe I'm going to modify this truck. Theres been a direct prohibition on any aftermarket movment. Thats coming straight from the top!

I did take it to Hollister for a short trip two weeks ago. I was out there tooling around for a few hours and found this truck to do exactly what I thought it would do. I'm not taking it to the Rubicon any time soon but it has a semi functional traction control system. I think more agresive tires would bring some grip to its tractionaly challenged ways.
Hollister? Dude you really have to check us out on lrrforums and the newly formed www.nclrclub.org. I am about 2 hours from Hollister myself. The NCLR does at least one run a month and we do a lot of runs that are just fine for stock vehicle.

silverscout

Adventurer
Sweet. I'm in San Francisco and go to Hollister all the time. I've checked out the NCLRC web site, looks like good times. Whens the next meeting?

stevenmd

Expedition Leader
silverscout said:
Sweet. I'm in San Francisco and go to Hollister all the time. I've checked out the NCLRC web site, looks like good times. Whens the next meeting?
Meeting? We don't have meetings... we have trail runs!:wings: There is a recce of Shaver Lake area in June; I am leading a week long Oregon trip the last week of June; there is a family camping trip in July; Blue Lakes sometime in July; lots of other trips too. We are going to have our first annual gathering at Hollister most likely sometime in July.

There was a run this past weekend too. Keep checking at lrrforums too. Pop on there and say 'hi' under new members. Tell 'em I sent ya!:friday:

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I bought a 2002 Disco this past summer. I am a complete auto-novice. I'm all about human powered stuff. I thought, "man...I bet this baby will go anywhere...."

WRONG. Like anything, it takes some tweaking. Just when you think it's doing well, some dready girl in a 20 year old Subaru will honk at you to get outta the way. It's going to take some tweaking.

bootzilla

Adventurer
mountainpete said:
Like mentioned in another thread, Rovers are like Bond girls. They are sultry and beautiful, but there's a good chance they're trying to kill you.

Congratulations on a beautiful truck :sunflower

Hahaha - how true!

Great looking truck - love the Bonatti Grey - probably my fav LR color.

Sure...you'll keep it stock....for now. Then you'll see all the cool stuff you can get for it, and it will suck you in, slowly but surely! check out www.dap-inc.com for good stuff, too. If you see anything you want there - ask for Steve, he's a good guy. :safari-rig:

Dmarchand

Adventurer
Nice, I share your afliction. I own a bone stock bonatti 2004 DII. It has remained largely stock and will continue to do so. The d-90 gets all of my love.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz