So much for legendary reliability

Applejack

Explorer
This post is where I grumble on a bit about a problem that I had roughly a year and a half ago that recently popped back up and is now set to cost a lot to fix.
Backstory: A year and a half ago-ish, I had my '99 4runners transmission flushed at the dealer (154k miles). a couple of weeks later I backed out of my driveway and tried to go forward and it felt like I was pulling a house. It was moving but barely. I called my mechanic and he asked me to see if I could drive it around the block to see if maybe it was starting out in the wrong gear, possibly indicating a bad solenoid. So I jumped back in, backed out, and then it drove off perfectly, no problem. He suggested that the flush may have loosened something that was now clogging a valve and to bring it in and he would back flush it. I did, and until last saturday I have not had that problem return. However, in the last 6 months I had noticed when going up hills it was a little reluctant to downshift, I chocked it up to being laden with camping gear. Around town it seemed fine, it's usual slow self.
Saturday the original issue popped back up, my usual mechanic is on vacation so I take it to a local transmission shop that seemed to have very high reviews online. He has it for two days before he says he can get it to do it's "thing", and stated that they had to get it pretty hot to do it. Which is funny because that's the exact opposite of when I experienced the problem, it always had to have sat for at least 2 hours, it never did it when it was up to temp. He also said the fluid was black, which also is strange because I checked it saturday and it looked fine, which I told him. He said that it was possible that I now have a new/different problem like the torque coverer coming apart, worn clutches etc. and quoted me $4800-$5200 to repair/replace the transmission.
So either this highly rated shop is not what it seems or my super reliable 4runner is not so super reliable. It only has just under 171k on it, and while it does get "used" it also is well maintained.

rickashay

Explorer
You running the original radiator/trans cooler?

Also you can buy a low mileage used 3.4 V6 with T-Case and trans for significantly less than the quote to fix. I picked up a running entire wrecked vehicle (still drove) with e-lockers for $900. Hit up Craigslist and grab a trans, a few buddies over a weekend and swap a "new" one in. My $0.02

tyv12

Adventurer
154k miles original tranny I'd call that impressive, I drive f-150s for work we usually kill a tranny within 60k every time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 9101

Yeah, unless they are building you a tranny that can handle 500Hp and 44" tires, that price is insane.

As for reliability, it's a 16 year old vehicle... things wear out and things break... you have to cut it some slack.

Have you checked the fluid since the mechanic said it was black?

Clutch

<---Pass
Why I like manuals over autos...I am still on the original clutch at 290K.

171K miles is pretty good for an auto trans, especially if it sees a lot of off-pavement use.

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
The A340F is a decent transmission but do search IH8MUD, Yotatech, Pirate and other places to figure out the gotchas with them. The solenoids are known to give erratic problems when they get old, for example. In any case, I've always understood the best way to deal with the A340 is to drain and top off rather than do a flush. The pan has a drain plug, so you drain out the few quarts that come out (there's something like 16 quarts in them but most of it stays in the torque converter) and add fluid 3 or 4 times over a few months to service them. By doing it slowly you avoid stirring up debris that will plug up the tranny.

Applejack

Explorer
I told the shop to put it back together and then I will figure out what I'm going to do. My dad has the same transmission and it has been worked harder and longer and with far less maintenance than mine and he now has 333k on his Tacoma. Usually these transmissions easily go well past 200k with no issues many with the Sam radiator/cooler. I replaced my radiator 12k ago.

Applejack

Explorer
There are differences in the transmissions throughout the years I guess. 96-98, 99-00, 01-02'. The later models being drive by wire, each segment had different valve bodies. On the brighter note. I called my local dealer and I can get a factory reman for $1990 with a 3 year 36k warranty. I think this is the route I will go. And then throw a party for helping hands. Maybe I will neglect this transmission like my dad has with his and it will last longer.

Mrknowitall

Adventurer
154k miles original tranny I'd call that impressive, I drive f-150s for work we usually kill a tranny within 60k every time

Not sure if thats sad or hillarious. The A340 in my Tundra shifted like new at 155k.

406expo

Adventurer

That sir is criminal. I have a 97 bmw with 220k and original tranny, a 02 f250 super duty with original tranny at around 210k and last a 84 cucv with the th400 tranny with a dog tag bolted onto the tranny from the military from the 80's so I'm guessing it's the original tranny and she's got at least 160k on that I can confirm maybe more. If I had a tranny go out at 60k I'd loose my mind!

That's wild stuff lol.

D

Deleted member 9101

There are differences in the transmissions throughout the years I guess. 96-98, 99-00, 01-02'. The later models being drive by wire, each segment had different valve bodies. On the brighter note. I called my local dealer and I can get a factory reman for $1990 with a 3 year 36k warranty. I think this is the route I will go. And then throw a party for helping hands.

1990.00 with a warranty is a pretty good deal.

Maybe I will neglect this transmission like my dad has with his and it will last longer.

It's hit or miss man, some times they last 10K some times they go 100k, and sometimes they go 300k. It's pretty much luck of the draw. All you can really do is keep it cool and adhere to the maintenance intervals and see what happens.

east_tn_81

Adventurer

The same could be said about any work truck. They are like a rental car used and abused and put away wet.

Wit that said OP sorry about that, it really sucks. What is the plan from here.

jeffjeeptj

Adventurer
Glad you got away from the private shop. Verify what you must do to keep that warranty.

I did not read the fine print once, and did not keep records of some specified parts/work (like a trans cooler flush) and warranty became void.

Mertens

Sooo I'm not standing up for anyone or putting the blame on anyone here but i have a small shop and we preach this:

Do NOT do a tranny flush. You drain the fluid and put more in, you do not need to stir up sediment to get 75% of it out and leave the last 25% to clog up valve bodies.

There are several places around here that do tranny flushes, we see almost every person who has a flush done within a year after the flush with severe tranny issues.

The black oil could be from your guy telling you to drive it around the block while slipping or your no downshift problem creating extra clutch wear and heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior