So who has converted an old teardrop into a off-road capable trailer?

Has anyone turned an older aluminum tear drop into an off-road capable trailer? I found a old Scud-A-Bout for cheap I am looking at. I'm just not sure how it will hold up off-road. I know I will need to beef up the frame, but the body panels kind of worry me. It's a 60's model, so I'm not sure how build quality is back then. I'd like to mount some roof cross bars to the op, but not sure if that is even possible on these older models. I've really only looked at newer square drop trailers. This is a picture of a like model.

s-l300.jpg

jmnielsen

Tinkerer
I doubt it would take much to make it offroad worthy. In all reality, if it wasn't up to the task and you got it for cheap you tear it town, beef up the frame, and rebuild it reusing some original parts.

Kent Wold

Lift it up off the axle or flip the axle for ground clearance..some sort of belly protection and reinforce the upper so it doesn't twist apart and your ready to go..ok.. maybe it takes a bit more but that's the basics right?

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

old_CWO

Teardrops are pretty basic really and therefore a good candidate to ruggedize in my opinion. I think the trouble areas would be galley cabinets coming loose and possibly the hatch or doors not sealing up due to chassis twist. Both of those should be easy to prevent/resolve with some simple bracing and gusseting.

As far as construction of the box, most trailers I have seen from that era are "stick and tin," meaning 1x1 and 1x2 framing with paneling inside and aluminum skin outside. Insulation if you're lucky. If you carefully remove the interior paneling you can see the framing and beef up as necessary for the roof rack and other add-ons. Titebond waterproof glue, poplar 1x2s and wood screws made short work of strengthening the cabinets in my old pop up camper without adding much weight. I imagine it would be the same case with a teardrop.

Take a critical look at the suspension/axle set up it comes with, some of the old stuff can be oddball or fairly well clapped out. There are lots of upgrade options but I believe long flexy automotive type leaf springs with shock absorbers is the most cost effective solution for the majority of off road towing situations. I favor Jeep CJ or YJ suspension junk because it's readily available and all the associated hangers and parts are cheap and easy, but pretty much any small truck springs could work.

Some eye candy for inspiration:

1565217425157.png

I think that's the sexiest off road teardrop ever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94