So you want to install new wheels and tires on your Gen3 Montero?

ChrisCosta416

Before I begin please note: I am not sponsored by any company and all my write-ups are from personal experience and knowledge. If you notice anything in correct please chime in or let me know! Enjoy!

Wheels
Before we go over after-market wheel options, lets go over the OEM wheels and center-bore

The following wheels were equipped and sold on the Gen3 Monteros in the United States

Name: 6 Spoke Aluminum Alloy Wheel
Model Year: 2001-2006
Size: 16x7
Center Bore: 67.1
Bolt Pattern: 6x139.7 (6x5.5)
Offset: +46mm
OEM Part Number: MR369588
s-l400.jpg

Name: 5 Spoke Aluminum Alloy 20th Anniversary Wheel
Model Year: 2003-2004
OEM Part Number: MR347070
Note: 20th Anniversary Edition
5429537174.jpg

Name: 6 Spoke Aluminum Alloy Silver Wheel
Model Year: 2003-2006
OEM Part Number: MR992090 or MN103291
jante-alu-n2-occasion-mr992090-mitsubishi-pajero-32-td-16v-4x4-817205835.jpg

Name: 17x7.5 Aluminum Alloy Silver 6 spoke Wheel
Model Year: 2005-2006
Size: 17x7.5
OEM Part Number: MN125546
21409.jpg

Notice anything common? They all have the same center bore and bolt pattern. These 2 items are key in choosing after-market wheels.

Fitment
In order to install any after-market on your Gen3 you MUST ensure the new wheels have the following

• Bolt Pattern - Wheel MUST have a 6x139.7 (also known as 6x5.5) bolt pattern
  • Center bore size MUST be 67.1mm diameter or bigger
I would also note the following
  • I would verify the offset is not more than +46 (meaning wheels such as +47,+50 is a no go)
  • Any wheel smaller than a 16 might not work and will definitely not work with Total Chaos Upper Control Arms.

Offset
Offset plays a very important role when choose a wheel choice. Alpha Equipt did a great write-up and has a neat graph explaining off-set - https://alphaequipt.com/blogs/vehicle-gallery/alpha-ideology

Hub-Centric vs Lug-Centric
Once you start shopping for wheels you will notice that very few wheels have the exact center bore size of 67.1mm. In fact the most popular and common after-market wheels, Gen3 owners use on their trucks have a center bore size of either 106.1mm center bore (Toyota 4Runner/Tacoma Wheels) or 110MM.

You can read more about Hub-Centric and Lug-Centric here - https://www.americastire.com/learn/hub-centric-vs-lug-centric (I will be going over hub rings later)

Before I further go into hub vs lug-centric I have researched that the sheer clamping force of wheel to the hub do the majority of the work to support the weight of the vehicle. (Which means a properly torqued wheel with the proper lug-nuts will not have any issues)

Hub-Centric Wheels
- The majority of Mitsubishi Montero hub-centric wheels are OEM Gen3/4 Montero wheels and some L200 wheels. There is only one aftermarket hub-centric wheel I know of, which I will go over later.
- Hub-centric wheels mean that the diameter of the wheel center bore is manufactured to fit the center bore on the vehicle perfect. This means the wheel will center on the hub and there will be no gap between the bore of the wheel and vehicle.

Lug-Centric Wheels
- The majority of wheels (aftermarket and Toyota OEM) have a center bore size of (Toyota OEM) 106.1mm and (Aftermarket brands) 108-110mm.
- Lug-Centric wheels mean that the wheels will center on the mounting surface of the lug holes. Proper lug nuts and proper torquing will ensure the wheels are centered properly.
- Lug-Centric wheels DO NOT rest of the wheel studs and rely on proper lug nuts and install.
- Vibration can occur with lug-centric wheels and can be resolved with hub rings. (I will be going over this later)

Hub Rings
If you decided to go with lug-centric wheels I strongly recommend buying and installing aluminum hub rings. Myself and other members have used US Wheel adapters - https://www.uswheeladapters.com/shop/hub-centric-rings-aluminum/ - (Note: When ordering the "Inner Diameter" should be 67.1mm and the "Outer Diameter" should be the the size of the center bore of your new wheel. @SONICMASD has documented his experiences with plastic rings and I believe he has made the switch to aluminum rings.

Great! Now we got all the boring stuff out of the way! Lets talk wheel options!

First give this video a watch!

Toyota Wheels
From what I have seen the most popular and cheapest wheel options for Gen3 owners are Toyota Tacoma/4Runner/FJ cruiser wheels. All those wheels will have a 6x139.7 bolt pattern and a center bore of 106.1mm.

I found the best way to see all the Toyota OE wheel options was via hubcap haven - https://www.hubcaphaven.com/c/489/toyota_4runner_wheels_rims.html

Once you have decided on what Toyota wheel you want, head over to places like Craigslist, offerup, and even Facebook marketplace to find factory take-offs from many Toyota owners. When looking into TRD wheels be wary of knock-off wheels.

Aftermarket Wheels
I have compiled a list of reputable aftermarket wheels that will fit on the Gen3 Monteros. All these brands have wheels offered in 6x139.7 and have a Center Bore bigger than 67.1mm.

Great now you have chosen wheels, what about tires?
What is the best tire? This is very subjective so I will leave you all with this great video that I feel explains tires very well.

Thank you all for reading and if you have any questions feel free to reach out to me!

Leeson

I ordered two sets of hub rings, both in 67.1/ 106.2. One set is aluminum from motorsport-tech and they area hair too big to go in the wheel (I even tried putting the rings in the freezer and the wheels in the sun and then pounding them in but to no avail). I told the guy on the phone when I ordered it that they should be made a tad bit smaller on the OD since 106.2 is the size of the wheel bore and he said he knows what he's doing and guarantees they'll fit. Well, they don't and they won't return my messages.
The other set is the same nominal size made of ABS plastic but the OD is a bit too small, there is a little play. Like .1 or .2 mm. I carefully wrapped one layer of tape around the outside diameter making sure there was no overlap and they squeezed in nicely and I thought that would work perfect but as soon as I hit 50 mph I started getting bad vibrations.

I've got a road trip coming up in a few days so have to figure this out in a hurry.

I'm thinking of just trying again with the plastic hub rings, being extra careful that everything is seated properly and being very careful about putting the lug nuts on perfectly. I really don't know why they didn't work, everything seemed really snug.
My other idea is to try further with the aluminum rings. They absolutely won't fit as is but I'm waiting to hear back from a local machine shop about knocking them down .1 mm. My last resort option is to place the hub rings on a hub with no wheel, put the truck in drive to spin the ring and press some sandpaper against the outside diameter to wear it down a bit.

The Mitsubishi lug nuts seem to be exactly the same as the lug nuts intended for my new TRD wheels so I don't think that's the issue.

Summoning @ChrisCosta416 and @SONICMASD

ChrisCosta416

The rings should be 106.1 to match the hub more of the wheel not 106.2. Sounds like Motorsport-tech messed up.

"The other set is the same nominal size made of ABS plastic but the OD is a bit too small, there is a little play. Like .1 or .2 mm. I carefully wrapped one layer of tape around the outside diameter making sure there was no overlap and they squeezed in nicely and I thought that would work perfect but as soon as I hit 50 mph I started getting bad vibrations." I could be wrong but tape will not fix the issue as its pretty malleable and will heat up and deform.

Rings are there to help center the wheel in addition to reduce vibration. My suggestion would be making sure wheels/tires are balanced and getting 106.1 aluminum rings. Also share photos of the lugs.

Leeson

Here is a picture of my lug nuts. As far as I can tell they are identical to the Toyota ones.

What I did today was reinstalled the front wheels with the plastic hub rings and layer of tape but I put the wheel on with tapered lug nuts from another car to help center the wheel, then took those tapered nuts off one at a time and replaced them with the proper flat seat lug nut. Vibrations were much reduced, can at least do 70 now. Yesterday 50-55 was all I could do.
Also got a machine shop to turn my aluminum rings for me today as well but haven't tried them on the road yet. They fit perfectly into the wheel now, they kind of snap in. They said the rings were 106.27 mm in diameter when I dropped them off. Not sure what they are now, he didn't say.

So one way or the other I should be road trip ready with my new wheels now!

Attachments

• 20201104_115610.jpg
    20201104_115610.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94