Socks

Seems like there isn't much in here on this piece of equipment...Yes, that's right EQUIPMENT. Amazing footwear is key, but so is that first layer, maybe even more so than the boot itself. That being said I was hoping to spark up some convo regarding socks...

• What is everyone currently wearing?
• What do you love about said current socks?
• What do you hate or wish was different?
• How long do they usually last?
• How do they perform overall?

Also with that being said, I will give my personal opinion...and yes I am EXTREMELY biased on this topic. I have spent the last 7+ years of my career working on and building the best socks..period. What started as just a means of self-expression has developed into technical performance pieces of my everyday wear.

My socks of choice are from the Adventure line from Stance.

• Stance Adventure
• Merino wool, great looking, feet seem comfortable overall, feet not wet or sweaty
• Have ran into some issues where the leg potion seems short. Revising so all our consistent height would be a great fix going forward.
• Have yet to blow out a pair
• Overall performance is great. For me when I DON'T notice them throughout the day, then they are doing their job. No stink, great looking, durable, comfy.

Last shameless plug...if anyone here wants to five a pair a shot please message me and I would love to hook you up with a little discount.

So lets hear it!

Darn Tough Socks, merlino wool , guaranteed for life. Bought them at REI and almost every person behind the counter commented on how great they were. Have only had them for a few months, but really happy with them (at least as excited as you can get about socks)

Darn Tough Socks, merlino wool , guaranteed for life. Bought them at REI and almost every person behind the counter commented on how great they were. Have only had them for a few months, but really happy with them (at least as excited as you can get about socks)

It's kinda one of those if they aren't an issue then they are doing the job kinda things. Spent a lot of time looking at/ripping apart/and wearing those as well.

Appreciate your input!

jgaz

Adventurer
I have a narrow foot so I usually try to fine tune my boot fit with the thickness of my socks.

I have a pair of Vasque Breeze boots that were fitted wearing the rei house brand wool socks. I bought 3 more pair a couple years ago when they changed vendors or at least changed the packaging. Those socks have held up well.

When I wear my heavier La Sportiva boots I’m wearing Smart Wool brand socks. Again, shop that fitted me for those boots had these to use when I tried on the boots. This brand has also held up very well, exceptional comfort at least for me.

Every day wear in my work boots I used Fox River Performance Wear hiking socks with cool max. Bought the same brand socks for 15 years. The wore exceptionally well, machine washed and dried, watched for sales and found them very affordable.

I have a narrow foot so I usually try to fine tune my boot fit with the thickness of my socks.

I have a pair of Vasque Breeze boots that were fitted wearing the rei house brand wool socks. I bought 3 more pair a couple years ago when they changed vendors or at least changed the packaging. Those socks have held up well.

When I wear my heavier La Sportiva boots I'm wearing Smart Wool brand socks. Again, shop that fitted me for those boots had these to use when I tried on the boots. This brand has also held up very well, exceptional comfort at least for me.

Every day wear in my work boots I used Fox River Performance Wear hiking socks with cool max. Bought the same brand socks for 15 years. The wore exceptionally well, machine washed and dried, watched for sales and found them very affordable.

We are certainly creatures of habbit thats for sure. Appreciate the insight!

pluton

Adventurer
I have been using these as my everyday sock for sneakers to hiking boots for about 20 years:
https://www.foxsox.com/products/wick-dry-explorer?variant=21284152385
I settled into using a thick sock for everyday use because extra thickness can ameliorate the irregularities in shoe/boot fit. The only time I put on thinner socks is when it gets warm/hot AND humid(dewpoint approx 65ºF).Using a pool of 14-18 pairs, they last about 6 to 8 years. Just bought another 14 pairs.
Those Stance socks look cool. Wool is a good material, but only if it is fully machine washable.

FJOE

Regular Dude

+1. I was burning through SmartWool socks like crazy. Darn Tough socks are my new go to.

Hilldweller

SE Expedition Society

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles