Solar Controller Placement

Guitarsail1

Adventurer
I have a '15 4Runner and a VRV flyer trailer. Each have their own battery, trailer trickle charges through the 7pin connection on the truck. I have a Ctek 250s and a standard MPPT Solar controller. One is for the truck the other is for the trailer. I'm not sure which would be better suited in which vehicle. The MPPT will just take solar and send Voltage to a battery, the Ctek obviously does similar. Am I better off with the Ctek in the Trailer taking the 7pin power input and solar and sending the second battery to the trailer or vice versa.

DorB

Adventurer
SC on the back of the solar panel, with a connector for a wire.
I have Anderson connectors behind the bumper for each battery, and a 10f wire(truck in the shade and panel in the sun).
this way I can shift the wire to the different batteries, and also to other trucks if needed.

rayra

Expedition Leader
I'm deconstructing a folding panel kit and re-wiring things with Anderson couplers so I can relocate the charge controller into my vehicle's rear power setup. I'm making some mounting brackets so the folding panel will be secured flat on the roof deck of my suburban and be connected into my rear power setup and keep my Aux / House battery topped off. The heat I get on the roof of my vehicle is ridiculous so I don't want the charge controller to be up there.
If I ever have to use the panel kit on the ground separate from the vehicle all I have to do is remove a couple screws and plug the controller back in on the back of the panel kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles