Sold a mog!

Robthebrit

Explorer
I sold my yellow double cab unimog today, its going to a new life in upstate New York. I still have the little mog and the mog camper and I'll be able to put more effort into them.

Rob

adventureduo

Dave Druck [KI6LBB]
Not that your double cab wasn't sweet.... but you scared me.. i thought you sold your camper mog.... i want that thing if you ever decide to sell it! Congrats on the NY thing.. hope all goes well for you Rob.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
I was thinking the same thing, congrats on the sale Rob.

P.S. the stroller is getting a ton of use!

You rock!

Robthebrit

Explorer
Not that your double cab wasn't sweet.... but you scared me.. i thought you sold your camper mog.... i want that thing if you ever decide to sell it! Congrats on the NY thing.. hope all goes well for you Rob.

cheers!

I am going to take the cash from the doka and put a new turbo engine in the camper. Its burning a lot of oil and is not enjoying the altitude, I can fix the oil and I could add a turbo to the current engine but I am not going to get any extra power because the engine is about at the max ouput due to how the oil system is designed. A new 352A can be tuned to about 180-200hp, that should allow me to pull hills at 50mph and cruise easily at 60.

Rob

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Howdy Rob,
Are you going to make your own turbo position and mount or will Von be assisting? If it makes you feel any better I can't pull 50 mph pulling my trailer even with 170hp. I now smell the roses.....slowly. How's Colorado?
Chas

Robthebrit

Explorer
My engine does have the piston squirters so will take a turbo but is starting to burn lots of oil so a rebuild or new engine is on the cards anyway. Von can do a turbo, he buts the turbo further back so you don't have to mess with the cab in order to get it to clear. However, the camper cab is already lifted about 3 inches due its suspension mount so a standard turbo motor will fit. That is the current plan and I hope to get at least 170hp, maybe more but the deciding factor will be keeping it cool.

If this plan doesn't work then plan B is to take the turbo engine, put the old manifolds on it and move the turbo back. This will seriously increase boost lag but its a mog and when you need the boost you need it for a long time so the lag shouldn't be an issue. Von is a big fan of the remote turbo on the older trucks because the run back to the intake acts like a small inter-cooler and there certainly is no room in the engine bay for a real inter-cooler.

Chas, how heavy is your 1250 with a trailer? you must be as heavy as my camper, I typically run between 11,000 and 14500 depending on how loaded I am and how much fuel/water I have. If I am doing a long run or a run in the mountains I tend to keep it on the lighter side it at all possible. 50 maybe wishful thinking simply due to the horrible gearing on a 416 - 8th is almost half the gear of 7th!! I would have to be in 8th gear to do 50 which is not going to happen. If I can red line 7th in the mountains then I would be happy, that would be about 43mph.

Finally Mark Mitchell has rebuilt om366la, 240+ hp. I don't think that can be shoehorned into a 416 - thats probably a good thing.

Thats the current plan, I hope to get it done before summer.

Rob

gjackson

FRGS
:) The title of this thread struck me as funny. Sold A Mog. Not THE mog. :)

Rob, don't forget we're very close to Boulder. I think I owe you at least a few beers for the hospitality in LA.

cheers

Chas Stricker

Adventurer
Howdy Rob,
My trailer is light at about 5,000lbs loaded. The truck loaded is just under 14,000. It is no speed demon with a combined 19,000ish pounds but it does get there. I've only done one pass of 9,000ft and it was steep. I saw 5th-6th gear alot. It does give more "quality" family time though. There in Colorado you have "real" passes.
Chas

Scott Brady

Founder
Cool, glad it wasn't the camper. That is an amazing truck!

I met that couple in the local outdoor store about a year ago. Small world.

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
Someone should do a write up of the camper mog... that things is very impressive and has been on some cool expeditions.

IMG_0937.jpg

viatierra

Explorer
Just the other day Christine was doing some Photoshop collages of past trips. The Camper Mog left an impression on her too! I loved watching it bounce over the boulders.

She's a keeper...

3401576583_79eae0df2e_b.jpg

FourByLand

Expedition Leader
What a great collage, Greg!

Glad we got that opportunity to meet!

I feel that we will be getting another chance very soon!

:costumed-smiley-007

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94