Solution for glare from roof lights?

meental

Observer
just to add my .02, the glare is not so much produced by the reflector but is the raw output of the LED, while a flood or combo pattern will have more glare, a spot will still have glare because the LED still has output that is not being focused by the reflector, thus you will still have alot of glare on the windshield if not blocked with a glare shield or the roof by mounting the bar further back on the windshield. i had one of the newer "4D" light bars with the fish eye projector lens in a 8* spot and glare was much less because all of the light emitted from the LED was being focused because the focusing lens is in front of the LED, not just mounted around it.

300w_led_light_bar_New_Osram_4D.jpg
VS
led-off-road-light-bar-cutaway.jpg

justoffroad

Finally got around to producing the glare shields in all of the roof mount sizes, check out justoffroad.org if you need one.

a17mg1.jpg

vy5tsw.jpg

justoffroad

on my truck, it reduced the noise by maybe 20%... there are better ways to get rid of that whistle though like some edge trim on the fins, or some 3M foam

42 inch curved shield installed on another tacoma

a3b3163e70fe1341947343411d0f4b96

6a17b670182be293dd6dd1f68bb499bc

Last edited:

Dragos28

Adventurer
I hate to say it, but it does look pretty silly... i think i'd rather deal with the hood glare...

either way, its a well built product and i'm sure it serves its purpose...

Streaky

Observer
Old thread I know but thought I'd throw these up in case it helps anyone overcome the problem with round HID lights above the windscreen. I knocked these up from Aluminium sheet and screwed them on using existing holes in the cases.
It looks a bit daft but the best thing is that they work.

Attachments

• Light deflectors 001.jpg
    Light deflectors 001.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 223
  • Light deflectors 003.jpg
    Light deflectors 003.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 224
  • Light deflectors 005.jpg
    Light deflectors 005.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 224

calstar

Observer
Old thread I know but thought I'd throw these up in case it helps anyone overcome the problem with round HID lights above the windscreen. I knocked these up from Aluminium sheet and screwed them on using existing holes in the cases.
It looks a bit daft but the best thing is that they work.

Clever and simple solution, I like it! Brian

WagoneerSX4

Adventurer
Finally got around to producing the glare shields in all of the roof mount sizes, check out justoffroad.org if you need one.
Figure I'd ask on here instead of emailing just in case others have the same question.

When is shipping calculated? I thought it would be calculated pre-paypal but it doesn't seem so. Do you send a paypal request after payment is sent? This is regarding my 42" curved light bar to Ontario.

iowalr4

Adventurer
My solution to this issue was to get a 37" single row ~1" high light bar and fit it under my rack between the fairing and the roof. Fit is perfect and the roof blocks the light on the hood except for a tiny bit from the side flood parts.

It is only about 100 watts, but its plenty bright for my uses.

IMG_20151226_180415_zpsz49kqkks.jpg

IMG_20151226_180837_zpstn2kggud.jpg

IMG_20151226_193229_zpsnzorbbw2.jpg

IMG_20151226_180736_zps6y3lh2at.jpg

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
My solution? Run Silverstars in the headlights/stock fogs, run dim red LEDs in the dash to allow my eyes to better focus and avoid spending money on aftermarket light bars that create more issues than they solve.

Last edited:

iowalr4

Adventurer
Why do you bother posting here if you are just going to be grumpy and passive aggressive? Upgrading headlights is just fine and I am sure people are interested in that option also, but light bars provide a different purpose than just upgraded headlights. That should be obvious. This forum doesn't encourage people the share as much when you get attitude on even simple topics such as lighting. Encourage people to share what they are doing and shut the hell up if you prefer something else, or state it in a nice way.

My rover has really nice projector headlights from the factory. (HSE Lux trim). And.. with this setup I don't have any issues that I know of... I even posted a picture showing how little light glare I have to make the point that it can be done without issues as several others have stated early in this thread. Move it back, make a shield... it all works nicely.

iowalr4

Adventurer
This is what I am referring to... I just use some big washers and wing nuts on some plastic mounts. The mounts move forward/back and the wing nuts let the light be adjusted left/right.

IMG_20151227_132657_zpss4k9jkjz.jpg

IMG_20151227_151153_zpsvvcwpmjc.jpg

IMG_20151227_132602_zpsy0vewb0h.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles