Son of Syncro...is there a modern equivalent?

Hondarider

Adventurer
With so many mini-vans on the market, why can't someone deliver a modern version of the Syncro...light...4wd...decent gas mileage...with a utilitarian/rugged look. Modern minivans offer so much in performance, convenience, and comfort, but they hardly seem suited for dirt roads...let alone back country excursions...and they look too futuristic for my tastes. The Sportsmobiles are fantastic, but they're just a bit bigger than my ideal long distance family adventure rig. The AWD Astros seem reasonably close, but I don't see any low mileage examples of those near me. Is there a model on the new car market that I'm missing out there somewhere? Am I the only one hoping for a compact version of the Sportsmobile? I keep reading and searching, but keep coming up empty.

haven

Expedition Leader
Dodge, Buick, Chevrolet, Saturn, Pontiac and Toyota made AWD versions of their minivans during the 1990s and 2000s. They don't have the rugged utilitarian look, but do a good job of traveling on slippery roads. If you want a vehicle with squared corners, consider the 70s and 80s Suburban.

Ursa Minor makes a popup roof for the Wrangler JK and the Honda Element. Both have some similarities to the old Syncro. http://www.ursaminorvehicles.com/

Hondarider

Adventurer
Certainly there have been products brought to market in the past 20 years, but I was wondering about current model offerings. It seems that you can't walk into a dealership and drive out with an off-road capable small van. I don't want something to tackle the Rubicon Trail, but something that will make it to the family cabin without ripping off expensive plastic valences and trim. In my neck of the woods, I see Syncros for $15K with a million miles, rust, and plenty of wear. I'd rather buy something new if it were available. I've certainly looked at full size vans and Suburbans and SUVs, but they're not quite what I'm looking for. I suppose that's where I'll end up eventually though.

pnwkayaker

Unfortunately, nothing in the market right now provides the same experience as a Syncro (4WD, low granny gear, rear/front lockers, 50/50 distribution, sleeping for 4 people, fridge, kitchen and sink, etc), all in a car with similar length to a Toyota Corolla.

I looked for 2 years for a suitable car/van/truck - Sportsmobile, Tundra with 4wheel camper (even bought a Tundra but sold it in 1 month since felt huge and parking was terrible), Eurovans, Astro, etc (even toyed with the idea of bringing a european van and convert it myself, glad I didn't do it).

At the end, I gave up, bought a used Syncro that needed some repairs but had no rust, and started to upgrade/convert the most critical stuff (I highly, highly reccomend a Subaru 2.5 conversion). After 4 years, i have a very reliable and modern Syncro (2008 engine, A/C, OBD-II, rebuilt transmission) that can carry me and my family anywhere. We just did 10 days roadtrip to Montana, last weekend i did with other Syncros a portion of the Washington Backcountry Discovery Road, NW MogFest is next in the horizon.

Two weeks ago I went to the WA Overland Rally (spent 3 days there) and saw many different types of trucks and off-road vehicles. Not one (not even the very nice Sportsmobile samples) made me consider switching from the Syncro. In fact, had several attendees come to our Syncros and ask if we were willing to do a trade somehow.

WBDR01.jpg

WBDR18.jpg

Last edited:

Hondarider

Adventurer
Oh no! I was afraid that might be the answer. Here in New England, those things are a rarity and rust is so common...I hate rust! I was hoping that someone might come up with an easier answer...a suitable replacement...a cooler option. I guess I'll keep watching craigslist and saving my pennies. My last VW van was one of the most fun vehicles I've ever owned, but it was soooooooo slow and no AC...makes the idea of a trip across the Great Plains sound like a nightmare. Thanks for the post! Love the pics.

pnwkayaker

If you want a Syncro without rust, New England is not the right place to look at. Arizona, Colorado and the West Coast have very nice specimens without rust. Check out the classifieds of TheSamba.com, lots of people post there instead of Craigslist

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
Toyota makes the Hi-Ace van which comes in a true 4x4.
Just buy it outside the USA and keep it registered outside the USA, they take it on a trip outside the USA once a year to re-import it :)

Or buy a used Syncro :)

coguzzi

Adventurer
i have had 5 syncros and there is nothing that compared to them--nothing. couple weird things that we either do not get in the US (toyota hi-ace or mitsub delica) or are just plain out there (pinzgauer). i recently moved to a ford E350 4x4 van with CCV pop top (think build your own sportsmobile) for the main reason of me and my wife both ride dirt bike and i hate trailering, with the ford they fit inside and we are self contained. I am appreciating the extra space at this stage of my life, but the ford is more cumbersome to get into tight places. i am getting better milage with the diesel ford (18-21) than my last syncro with the subaru SVX (14-16) so that is a plus.

but i must admit, i did all my own work on my syncros, including the last 3 subaru conversion, never once could i not fix it myself. longer you drive a VW syncro the more spare parts you carry. this damn ford has let me down way to many times, and generally its ECU in nature requiring a tech to help. and everything is so big and heavy its not even close to a joy to work on it. so when i am done pretending to be young and give up the motos--ill be building another syncro. next one will probably get the subaru 3.0 6 cyl, more efficient than the SVX.

maybe by then we will get a 4x4 sprinter--fingers crossed

haven

Expedition Leader
"...nothing in the market right now provides the same experience as a Syncro (4WD, low granny gear, rear/front lockers, 50/50 distribution, sleeping for 4 people, fridge, kitchen and sink, etc), all in a car with similar length to a Toyota Corolla."

The Jeep Wrangler JK with Adventure Trailers Habitat will come close, when AT finally offers them for sale http://www.adventuretrailers.com/jkhabitat.html

T.Low

Expedition Leader
I've got a weekend worth of mods into my van. I assume parts are cheap and available, but i haven't actually had to buy any in the 40,000 miles/4 years I've owned it.

16 inch wheels, with 31" tires, 200hp 4spd automatic, 4:10 gears, locked. 4 wheel disc brakes. Crawls up Fortune Creek trail in low range, or cruises the freeway comfortably at 90mph. FS roads are smooth as can be with the IFS.

It's not Son of Synchro, but certainly another option.

ihatemybike

Explorer
New vehicles, there is nothing out there. Full size vans would be too big, mini-vans too car like. While the Astro hasn't been made for 7 years, I feel fits the "just right" area. Its size feels at home on tight trails, its engine is plenty powerful, fairly easy to work on and known for longevity, lots of easy mods can be done cheaply, it isn't too hard to find good examples at reasonable prices and on road trips I regularly record mpgs in the low 20s.

Based on the wheeling I've done in Grumpy and the videos I've seen of Syncros, the Astro is the most capable of the two.

Hondarider

Adventurer
I had an Astro back in 90...put a ton of miles on it...the 4.3 was plenty powerful...the only problem is that they haven't made them in a bunch of years and a quick look at Craigslist shows only one AWD model available in my area and it has 125,000 miles...I sure would like something new with a warranty and minimal chance of mechanical headaches. I just want to gas and go.

ihatemybike

Explorer
New Chevrolet Express vans are available in the shorter 135" wheelbase with AWD. The Astro's wheelbase is 111".

I found 196 AWD Astros on Cars.com just now, some with warranties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior