Soundproofing sunroof

BurbanAZ

Explorer
My 4Runner came with a sunroof, but now that I have the roof rack it's useless and just creates a ton of wind noise when we're on the freeway. I've seen some racks that kind of maintain visibility through the sunroof but the ARB that I have has a big plate of steel directly above the sunroof.

I was thinking of maybe just getting some of the sound proofing usually used under carpet that has adhesive on one side and sticking it to the glass and maybe cutting a strip to run around the edge and calling it good, cause obviously once the interior cover thing is closed it will look normal. Anyone tried or heard of anyone trying to sound proof a sun roof?

marshal

Burrito Enthusiast
IMO i would get a piece of 3/4 or 1" foam (i can't remember how much space there is between the glass and the sliding section. cut it to shape, wrap it in solar reflector and stick it in there. even though there isn't much light that gets to the glass now with your roof rack, the reflective surface still reflects heat (like a emergency blanket)

Watt maker

There's about 2" of room between the glass and the shade. Depending on what foam you use, you may be able to squeeze a 3" piece of foam in there. I'm looking for a thick piece of foam to use on my 4th gen as well. Not because the sunroof is blocked though. My sunroof started rattling like crazy a while back and I never use it anyway. I have some oil absorbing pillows stuffed in there now but it still needs something a little thicker and firmer.

That is one option I wish both my 4runners never came with.

BurbanAZ

Explorer
Yea I agree, I wish mine never came with the sunroof. I never really used it before I got the roof rack now it's useless and just loud. After I put some foam in there though that should help, and I may mount some switches or something in that interior door because it's easy to get to the back of, then at least I'm kind of using it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior