Sounds like FORD’s going to offer another engine choice for the Tremor

Todd n Natalie

OverCamper
Yeah I don't hear tons about turbo failures on the EB engines.
It's cam phasers and timing chains on the 3.5, and way back on the first gen the issues with sucking in water from the intercooler prior to the weep hole. That's majority of what I've absorbed over the years while online, and my friends second gen going in multiple times.
Ford had to do something for 5.0 fuel economy, with all the cars gone, they have to get the average fuel economy numbers up. Hence cylinder deactivation.

And even V-twin motorcycles have cylinder deactivation now, but I don't think it's for fuel economy. Indian Chief line up offers it anyway.
I believe there were cam phaser issues on the 5.0 as well. Not sure if cam phaser issues affect either the 3.5 or 5.0 now.
Either way, with any truck regardless of make or model, you toss in your money and you take a gamble. I'm sure you could google issues for any truck and find a bunch of stuff.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
I believe there were cam phaser issues on the 5.0 as well. Not sure if cam phaser issues affect either the 3.5 or 5.0 now.
Either way, with any truck regardless of make or model, you toss in your money and you take a gamble. I'm sure you could google issues for any truck and find a bunch of stuff.
It's hard to know for sure, because obviously, I only see vehicles with issues, but we see very few 5.0l issues, phaser replacement is rare for us, but again, look how many pepole just in this thread talk about never having turbo issues and we do them on a regular basis, non stop on diesels. The one thing I know for sure, is if you don't maintain a EB, its junk before 100k. The factory and their stupid maint reminder has screwed anyone who uses it....total shame.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Well this is a fun conversation.

As a former 2.7 owner and now a 5.0 owner, I'd take the 5.0. The EB are fun to drive and torque galore as mentioned many a times in this thread but there's something about the 5.0 I love. I don't care all that much about MPG when it comes to trucks either.

Even tho my truck is pretty close to a Tremor (Minus a few things), when/if prices come down, I could see myself in the market for a 5.0 Tremor.

Grassland

On my 3.7 cyclone, I have had an oil pan gasket leak, and a radiator fitting leak.
I have otherwise followed maintenance closer to the severe service schedule thanks to -35°C winters and 35°C summers, and usually towing and always hauling.
It's a 2014. To be fair it only has 117k on it so it's got lots of life.
My 18 Transit 250 3.7 has 60k or something I'd have to look and no issues engine wise at all.

To gain more power and maybe risk major break downs is something that worries me. But I'm a sample size of two out of millions.

Last edited:

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Are you talking about the oil life monitor? That things got me changing oil every 10k or so on my baby ecoboost.

I am. By the time it comes on, the oil is so past due, its not even funny. I have customers coming in with the light on, and they are 2-3 qts low. We see very few issues with eco-boosts that have the oil changed every 5k. We also see customers having a lot less issues with Phasers, chains etc. Manufactures sell two things, Cars and Parts. Other than that, your car making it to 200k is not there plan. All manufactures have got caught up in advertising the lowest cost of ownership, it has screwed the consumer. I think Subaru is the only one who cares, and has a real maintenance schedule.

PirateMcGee

Expedition Leader
I shopped the Tremor when looking a year or so ago. The 3.5 eco seemed like it could have some issues in water crossings but they've been reliable in my work rigs. Ford was also not negotiating on prices and I just couldn't bring myself to pay 15-20k more vs the Titan which already had a NA V8 with 400hp/413ftlbs of tq and a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty and a banging stereo. No ideas what I will replace it with down the road though. I could still see a Ford although I wish they would offer an extended cab and not just crew with the Tremor.

Last edited:

Explorerinil

Observer
The turbos on these modern 3.5's are so reliable. The new 5.0L's have a bunch of crap added to them, they aren't the same anymore.
Your right, the 5.0 is a complex dual overhead cam engine. My vehicle at work has a 5.0 in it, cam fasers at 20k, new engine at 33, now Check engine like and engine is rattling again at 36k… I hate the 5.0.

buffy

We've run 5.0s in our work 1/2 tons. They all failed poorly. I have a '16 Expedition with +200K miles. No problems with the motor. Ford grossly lies about maintenance intervals. If you change oil frequently and plugs at 50K intervals, these Ecoboost motors are rock solid.

Jupiter58

I had to make an emergency trip to key west last week. Filled up in homestead and cruised for 2 hours at 45-60 with very few stops. Drove around key west for a few days and took this after getting on the turnpike to Miami airport.
268 miles, 722 remaining on the tank (990) range, 28.9 mpg by the meter. 34k on my 3.5eb. I was at 34mpg at one point on the way down. Of course, all that changed after I left the airport an cruised up to Jupiter at 80-85.
The overseas highway is good for gas mileage.
80fd2a681a68efd0537f3505947a285e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior