Source and cost to convert dual-tires to singels on a MB lorry

thebigblue

Adventurer
Since the cost of a 4x4 Mercedes lorry (maybe a 1222, 1019, 917 or something similar) is more interesting than a Unimog price; I was wondering what the cost would be to convert the dual-tires in the back to single rims that will take a descent Michelin off-road tire, and the wheels in the front too? Sources to rims and tires will be nice to (EU area preferred).

Thx

Sitec

Adventurer
I've just bought a 1222A, and am pondering the same thing... I used to run a Land Rover 101 which had Michelin XZL'S. At $700 a tyre if you can find them over here, I have decided not to go down the same route with the truck. Mine has 10.00 R20's on split rims at the moment, but I'm probably going to go up to a 22.5" rim and either run some 300mm wide drive axle tyres all around at approx $250 a corner, or some Double Coin Drive tyres (sometimes known as a logging tyre). They're a similar pattern to an XZL but at a fraction of the cost. With a little suspension lift, and tubeless 22.5" tyres, the Merc MK's can look quite good. Just my thoughts though. Following with interest. image.jpg

UpperCrust

Building and Learning
I have no idea for someone in Europe. There are a few places in America. Im buying singles for my 917 from Stazworks. Im getting custom beadlock wheels for about $375 per. Not sure if it would be worth to ship them overseas.

Sitec

Adventurer
These are very similar to what Spudboy is running on his MAN CrewCab.. We chatted at the weekend about this when he came to look at my Merc. They are a fantastic looking decent sized tyre, but I nearly fell over at the cost, and they are not easily sourced out here when out bush.. Every country has 11R 22.5's on the shelf. Here's a pic of Spudboys tyres when they were newly fitted before his body went on. I had a reply form Arno (the truck link you looked at for tyres) yesterday. We were talking about Mercs. If you contact him on his web page he does reply! :)image.jpg

SpudBoy

Observer
I bought my MAN with dual rear tyres, and converted it to super singles. It came from the factory with 22.5 rims and 11 inch wide tyres (i.e 11R22.5).

I got custom rims made up at 12.75 inches wide and 22.5 inches diameter. This is the standard rim size for super singles (385/65R22.5) and for the tyres I bought (425/65R22.5). These tyres are a larger rolling diameter than the factory tyres (by about 7%) so now my speedo reads low all time, which is a bit of a nuisance. I've got a GPS speedo on the windscreen to give me the correct speed.

I got 5 rims made up and bought 6 tyres. That way I've got my own spare, and if I trash a tyre I just transfer the rim to the 6th spare.

The rims cost about $800 each to be fabricated (Australian Dollars, so that's about US$600).

HTH
David

See here for more details: http://daviddeere.net.au/dnnd2/en-us/Blog/Post/239/Super-Single-Rims

http://daviddeere.net.au/dnnd2/en-us/Blog/Post/240/Tyres

Last edited:

SpudBoy

Observer
Sounds the same as my setup. I've got Bridgestone M748 tyres, and when the rims were fabricated, they had to weld up all the holes on a 10 stud rim, and then re-drill them for the MAN 8 stud pattern. Out here (Australia) most trucks are Japanese,and they run 10 studs.

canals1164

Observer
Spud Boy
yes same here but we do have suppliers of 8 stud rims but with no offset. local company are brilliant at doing what you want for wheels, they have all the gear for building one off agricultural rims. Farmers Tyre near Leamington Spa they are a professional bunch but I cant find a web site! I would have thought they would ship into the EU.
Hope its of help to someone.

thebigblue

Adventurer
Right - I might be aiming for a doka ex firetruck then, I will need the seating for 9 persons and the storage capacity of a TLF 16/25 (pump 1,600 l/min and 2,5 cubic-meters of water in the on-board tank). This will not serve as a camper-truck, but more of a commercial people and gear transporter in North Africa.
So a 1019 AF or a 1222 AF is relevant options - I understand that the 1222 is a OM421 V6 11 liter engine (R6?) and the 1019 has a OM 401 and is a 10,5 l. V6. The OM421 V6 is turbocharged as far as my research revealed...? The production of the 1019 stopped in 1982, a MY 1981 would be cheaper due to it's 35 years of age.

Looks like spare-parts are more easily obtained for a OM421...

A small overview: http://agrodoctor.com.ua/en/article/engine/mercedes

Any insights?

Sitec

Adventurer
I believe you to be right with the numbers, but the OM421 in my 1222 is naturally aspirated. It is 220hp, and seems to chunter along quite well. Been hauling fire wood and rocks today and was making use of the usable torque on some hills! By buying the 1222 you are getting a later vehicle, with quite a different V6. The early ones always sounded like they were misfiring. This one sounds quite good.. The later truck you can buy the better IMO. I was looking at a 6x6 V8 from the mid 80's and then stumbled across the 1222 I now own. Its a 1995, has the later cab, and dash, and parts as you say are still readily available. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bad Taste