South Africa Here I (we) Come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

flywgn

Explorer
gjackson said:
.. .In Africa having the "correct" paperwork is a HUGE deal. If you can throw enough official looking paperwork at people, they often relent rather than demand a bribe.

Ahhhhhh, just like Baja. We'll feel right at home.

gjackson said:
...On a slightly related note, if you rent a car that you plan to take out of SA (as in a Britz TLC), Britz will give you a letter stating that you are alowed to drive the car and listing which countries you are allowed to go into. Don't loose that letter! And if you go into Botswana, do not let them charge you the commercial vehicle road tax. You are not a commercial vehicle eventhough Britz owns the car. Some customs officials at Botswana border posts will try that one. cheers

Britz mentioned a letter to me in an e-mail. Looks like carrying a couple of copies of that 'permit' is advisable. They also mentioned something about my carrying a 'personal use' paper. Now it makes sense when you mention the commercial road tax.

This is all good info.

Gee, Wil, I hope you don't mind my hitch-hiking on your thread. :confused:

Aubrey

Observer
I suggets a international drivers license would be very handy. Recall the semi tame chimp for traffic stops ....that idiots will make your life hell and he may have no idea if your paperwork is in order or not ..... but he can and will try to use this as an excuse to try and gte a bribe.

Botswana ...very little corruption. Commercial vs private vehcile depends on weight. If you intent to cross borders, make sure the renatl company gives you a letter confirming it is OK but .......insist on a certified copy of the regsitration papers to be included. Some dinky border post official may just be up to some fun and games :rolleyes: Get insuraneca nd make sure it includes an emergency number.

DO NOT DRIVE AT NIGHT ...... very important. There are no fences in Africa and stray animals are everywhere. Hitting a cow or donkey at night will really mess up your travel plans.

In Botswana ....slow down to 50km/h in all towns/villages. They will give you a spot fine and yes, they do exsist in Botswana.

If for any reason, you do run over a dog, chicken, goat or such ....... you will have to stop. Within seconds there will be 10 "owners" claiming compensation. The only way apart from paying ...... when you stop, very loudly enquire who's dog/goat/chicken this is .... insist the person step forward and pay for your damaged vehicle. That has worked 100% for me so far.

Aubrey

Observer
More dope ...... GPS works just fine in Africa. Disable WAAS or your error will be much bigger. (We don't have WAAS but EGNOS is being tested ..... still not OK'ed)

On map capable units (Garmin only), visit www.tracks4africa.com Real GPS tracks from around 400 contributors (so no map derived errors), including some info on camp sites (requires Mapsource to read and upload to Garmin) Pro version broken into blocks and very detailed ... buy the ones you need (I am not in any way associated with T4A but I have bought their product and I have submitted data before)

Before you drag a Sat phone (good idea if going solo), make sure of coverage. Iridium spotty, Thuraya not over southern part of Africa. Mini-M seems best option for that. Let me know as I can put you in touch with local rental company.

There is a HF courtesy monitoring facility but unlikely you will be able to rent a rig with a HF radio installed. Monitored daily by at least 4 seasoned overland members in SA every day at a set time. (Let me knopw to set up times and freq's) Help will be dispatched depending on needs as a courtesy extended to all travelling in Africa. No charges for time or usage of equipment but expected to pay for supplied spares and fuel/delivery charges to get it to you.

Animals in Africa is food (50%) and other 50% view you as food. Most snakes you encounter are poisonous. Black Mamba is extremely aggresive and is known for unprovoked attacks and will continue so running shoes not a bad idea :bowdown:

Walkin in bush ..... make sure you have boots that cover your ankle. Puffadder is a lazy snake that loves lying just under sand on footpaths. It will not move away but if stepped on, will strike and normally on ankle or below. 6 inch high boots a good idea. Don't waste time on these snake bite kits ...you need medical treatment and fast. Invest in a good medical insurance, that will take you back to SA if needed by plane/chopper. If the illness does not kill you, African hospitals will.

Wear long pants as bush is full of ticks and Tick bite fever is not fun and fatal if not treated. Northern part of Botswana , Zimbabwe, Mozambque ..... all malaria areas. For SA, have a look here at is is distributed .... http://www.malaria.co.za/

First aid kit .... good idea as mentioned. AIDS now between 50-70% in reality so don't accept blood transfussion outside SA ...even better if not in SA as well. Take you own syringes and intravenous needles if you can ...... Africans are known to recycle. Bring a broad spectrum of antibiotic with. Consider a tube of anti-histamine for those mozzi bites. Good anti-sepctic ointment (I like Bactroban) and dysinfecting wash. I use Dettol or Savlon here. Immodium is a very valuable item. Rets is just std. First Aid kit items needed.

Consider local advise based on where you got it. Following the advice on what is safe to eat/drink could make you very sick. Make sure bottled water is sealed (remember the recycle bit :eek: ) and don't add ice to the water (where do you think they get the water for the ice from?) Coke available everywhere and safe to drink. Beer safe everywhere :beer: ....... rules I follow on food ...... if you cannot peel it, don't eat it ...... including salad as they washed it with tap water. If not peeled, must be boiled or baked. :chowtime:

Make certified copies of all cc and passports. Hide the originals on the vehicle and use certified copies (if they won't hand them back ...old African trick, no loss so multiple copies are even better) You will need originals to cross borders.

Forex ...in Africa forget about cc's (OK for hotels, lodges and main areas only) and travellers checks. US$ bills no larger than 20's accepted everywhere. ATM's (if around) will allow VISA/MC cash withdrawals but don't count on it. Be carefull of black market forex agents ....99% are thieves and will steal your money and it is illegal.

Jewelery ..... less is better. No fancy diamonds, chains or watches. (Not just Mr T that liked gold :ar15: ) Camera and video ...take good care of them as they are prime targets.

AC ...... as mentioned before, we use 240V 50Hz so you will need a voltage transformer to 110V or some units work 110-250V. However, we have numerous small variations in power plugs. I find the cheapest option is to buy one of those small 150W 12V DC-AC inverters. You only need to charge laptop, video and Ni-Cd batteries and if you are mobile often, all easy and simple. Buy in USA as the ones you buy here are all 240V again with wrong plug.

Always carry at least 10l of drinking water in the car at all times.

Drugs ..... bring only your own perscription drugs for own use in original container. Make sure you have your docters tel # handy in case you need more meds and the local doc needs a heads up. Hard drugs are found everywhere but if caught, long jail term. Cannabis ..... frequently encountered and will lead to long jail term. Don't touch, buy or use.

One thing not mentioned ....scuba diving. I have dived from Med, Hawaii, Mauritius, Seychelles, Algavre ......best diving is Sodwana Bay (SA) or Ponta do Ouro (Southern Mozambique). Must be at least Padi Open Water with 15 dives (Advanced Open Water recoomended) Bring only PADI or NAAUI card ....rest can be rented. Snorkelling on both are very good. For Sodwana ...book here for accom ..... http://www.kznwildlife.com/

Contact me for more info on where to arrange dives but typical costs for staying in a lodge (South Moz), 5 dives of a boat, all fill and meals .... work on around US$ 300 pp. Add US$ 50 for kit rental. Price is 60% for non-divers. Still need to get there and back but lovely drive .... 6-8 hours.

Big game fishing at Sodwana is worlds class. Can always find a local skipper to take you out. Barracuda, Sail fish and Marlin. Cost for a 21ft with skipper and all tackle (6 people) will be around US$ 500 for the day and you keep your catch. Big game such as Marlin will be double that. Be warned, we do surf launches so we race right into breaking waves and come out at high speed and run up on the beach. The craft is designed for this. One of my US friends freaked out when we did it before (Yip, I also am Deep Sea Skipper ... crap one I guess based on his comments afterwards) We do the same with scuba trips so be warned.

All info given based on personal experience. Your experience may or may not be similar. I am not a tour guide or operator but love Africa with a passion.

Last edited:

flywgn

Explorer
Wow Aubrey! What a grand list of do's and don'ts! Thanks.

As for snakes, we're used to being careful as poisonous vipers are replete in the remote U.S. As far as being in the 'food chain' I've never given it too much thought unless we see fresh grizzly tracks or are in the waters of the Sea of Cortez. We'll be careful.

Sat phone. I have a Magellan World Phone, but it's bulky and I had not planned to take it along. I think somewhere in our material Britz mentions the possibility of renting one. I'll check about the Mini-M coverage.

Sounds like your food/water advice is the same that we follow when heading south of the border, so won't be unusual for us.

First-aid. Britz supplies one, but I'll bet it's minimal. We'll probably add to it. I also have to see just what they include in their "recovery gear". I think sand ladders or something similar might be useful, and a high-lift type of jack (with sand pad) will be necessary also.

We're up-to-date on our shots and start the malaria pills before going, although it doesn't look like we'll get as far north as the malaria-alerts are.

Thanks again for taking the time to add this "dope".

Allen

Aubrey

Observer
OK, recovery gear ......

Get a second spare wheel. We have thorns that zip right through a BF Goodrich side wall.

Std stuff such as engine oil, brake fluid, diff oil, g/box oil, zip ties, duct tape, assorted hoses for radiator, coolant, electric wire and fuses, spare water (again), assorted hand tools, jack for vehicle, wheel spanner, jumper cables, oil, air and fuel filters. Manual or electric pump for wheels. Check if vehicle is fitted with locking wheels nuts for security and make sure you have the key. Spare globes for lights.

Sand tracks ....used to drag them along but never used. Loose sand ...drop to 1 bar (14.7 psi) and you are fine. I would add a decent tow rope (30ft), at least 2 bow shackles. If you have a winch fitted ...tree strop, shackles, snatch block, check you have winch remote (check winch is working) and winch gloves. If hi-lift jack fitted ....find out where jacking points are and make sure an adaptor is supplied if needed.

Unless you are really going solo way off beaten track, would not consider a sat phone. Lots of traffic and 90% will stop to assist.

flywgn

Explorer
Aubrey, thanks once more. Your list looks like our check list for trips here in N.A. We're used to airing down in sand and our personal vehicles are equipped with on-board compressors. It'll be interesting to see what Britz includes with this truck and what I deem to be necessary.

FlyingWil, are you packed yet? :jumping:

gjackson

FRGS
All the Britz trucks I have used had compressors on-board. Not particularly fast, but they could do the job. Don't remember the brand. They had a pretty poor selection of tools, but all came with a hi-lift. No spares to speak of, but you can ask them for some.

I have rented the 110 (Nomad), the TLC (the one you are getting?) and the hilux (Adventurer). All were well equipped, but due to the long range tanks and the accuracy of the fuel guages they come empty when you rent and your first stop has to be a garage to fuel up! And as Aubrey said, fuel stations don't take credit cards (though many have ATMs).

The 110s all came with 2 spare wheels. The Hilux didn't. Don't think the TLC did either.

This was all from the Britz office in Jo'burg, so Cape Town may be different.

cheers

Aubrey

Observer
To the entrepid African travellers...... I am flying to the UK on 10 Jan and return early morning 18 Jan. You can still reach me on my cel (+27826545858) as it will be roaming but for e-mail, suggest you also copy me on aubrey.moore@bt.com if needed.

Safe journey.

Aubrey

flywgn

Explorer
Okay, tomorrow night we're on our way. I'll try to post from a couple of places during our trip.

FlyingWil, I hope we can meet up somewhere, but it looks like we're going to spend most of our time in Namibia and the SW corner of Botswana. Hope you have a great trip.

Ciao everyone,
Allen R.

datrupr

Expedition Leader
Have a great trip Allen, and you and Diana come home safely. I look forward to hearing about your trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior