SP controller w/o battery

Vizoo

Adventurer
Hello,

I was wiring my Renocy Adventurer Li- 30A PWM Controller and noticed that the manual states to wire first the battery then the panel, this is OK but it also states to NEVER wire the panel without the battery.
If there is no battery then the circuit will be open so why I cannot wire the panel without the battery? I can't see what would be wrong (except if you short the cables)
Also, if the controller cannot have the solar panel connected to it without a battery, do I have to disconnect the solar panel wiring every time I need to take the battery out or even use a kill switch?

Thanks

DaveInDenver

Middle Income Semi-Redneck
As a general rule, yes it's best if you disconnect the solar panel before disconnecting the battery and going the other way connect the battery before the panel. Controllers can be damaged asking them to regulate a panel with no load (battery). It's not necessarily something that will fail immediately though so don't worry if it happens occasionally as long as you don't make a habit of it.

ExpoMike

General rule (unless explicitly said otherwise) with controllers is, battery is first to connect and last to disconnect. With solar connected and inputting power into the controller without a battery hooked up, it will have no place to go and will eventually overheat/burn out the controller. If you do a LOT of reading over on the https://diysolarforum.com/ forum, especially the Vehicle Mounted Systems area, you will find most folks recommend some type of disconnect/switch to turn off the solar input, either to stop charging for long term storage or service of the controller/battery systems.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles