Spare Tire Bike Rack for Trooper

Pritch

Does anyone have a bike rack that fits over a non-stock spare tire? I've read lots of reviews for different brands, and they're saying some don't fit with a non-stock spare tire, while others say that they don't carry two bikes like advertised. Surely someone has one out there that works.

Van_Homan

Adventurer
I use a Thule trunk mount rack on my spare (32x11.5). As long as you have a 31 or larger tire it should work fine. I ride a 29er and it carries it and a standard 26" just fine. It's designed to carry three bikes but I've never tried.

It's not as clean looking as the one that's designed for the spare, but you don't have to cut off the rubber bumper that holds the spare either.

MaryBars005.jpg

Bikerack007.jpg

Rack15017.jpg

Gpzguy

Genius!

brilliant.jpg

I would have never thought of using a trunk mount bike rack on the spare tire. I used to have a spare tire mount bike rack on my Amigo and Rodeo. That trunk mount rack looks like it would have worked much better. In fact, that's probably the only way I'd recommend to use a trunk mount rack. On regular cars, I've only seen them dent and mar the paint.

Pritch

Thanks Van. Do you happen to know which model you have? The Thule website has 3 different kinds.

Van_Homan

Adventurer
I didn't see a model number on my rack. The closest thing I found online was Thule 962XT

Good luck

Last edited:

Pritch

From your picture, it looks like it's mounted off-center on your spare tire. Is that mounting plate the only thing holding it on there?

I'm just not sure that plate will bolt up with my spare, because I have the wheel resting on that rubber knob, with no center cap.

nemoaz

Observer
I think the reason that so many rack companies don't show tire racks for certain cars is that it may be illegal to have the bike or other cargo extending to one side or the other like they will with a bike rack mounted on a spare tire that isn't in the center of the vehicle.

Van_Homan

Adventurer
From your picture, it looks like it's mounted off-center on your spare tire. Is that mounting plate the only thing holding it on there?

I'm just not sure that plate will bolt up with my spare, because I have the wheel resting on that rubber knob, with no center cap.

You would have to cut the rubber knob off to use the Thule spare me rack.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior