Spare Tire Carrier Ideas

Cambo

Adventurer
Looks like I will be getting a spare tire carrier made within the next month here. I have a tube rear bumper, looks like a trail gear bumper, and I plan on adding to it. I am hoping to get ideas and pics of what you have done. I of course want the spare tire on there, and I was thinking of a couple of gas cans and maybe a hi lift. My question is, will it be cheaper to buy the gas can holders and weld/bolt them on or just weld up some angle iron? Should I incorporate a Hi-lift bracket or do you think it will further impair my rear vision? Other things to consider?? I know license plate bracket and maybe some rear light brackets. Show me what you guys got! Heres what the bumper looks like.

Attachments

• 120109-1-k-installed2.jpg
    120109-1-k-installed2.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 116

RU55ELL

Explorer
I had looked into doing the same thing when I had my first gen. Pretty much the only thing you can do to integrate a swingout onto it is replace one of the up-rights on either side of the tailgate with a spindle. Any other way would either block the taillight or the gate. Other than that, look at the hundreds of swingouts that are on here, TTORA, Pirate, or YotaTech.

Cambo

Adventurer
Yeah,
getting it to work won't be a problem, I just wanted to know what more of the Expo guys have done. You guys seem to have a little more insight to ingenius storage ideas and what not. So, basically, I am looking more for ideas for storage, nothing related to the structure of the tire carrier, or the tire placement, etc. Thanks

Casper

Adventurer
Yeaaa, somewhere else to post photos of my rear bumper.
Feel free to ask any questions, this is what I did.

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

97kurt

Adventurer
Here is the one I made a few years ago. It works but I have grown to hate it. The tire is mounted to high and the cans stick out to much. I am gonna make a new one that is really similar but holds only one can and is a dual swing out.

6sjM3l.jpg

mPjHQl.jpg

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
Dont mean to hijack and if I need to repost I will.

I love that carrier on the Xterra, was thinking about a similar plan for my Tacoma, do you think there would be a safe way to keep the gates locked open while you drive, Im thinking this because I often leave my tailgate open when i haul my dirtbikes and such. I would love to relocate my spare and have some cans but it seems like it eliminates the ability to drive with the tailgate down.

Cambo

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys. Seems like a lot of you are doing the double gate type tire carrier. Now that I think about that, might be easier to access the rear instead of one long gate to open. I also love the idea of the 2nd gen Toyota license plate holder. Thanks for that idea 97 Kurt!! Also, maybe the tire in the center with a gas can on either side lehgthwise so they don't stick out too far.

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
They could just be simply pinned in the open position, but ideally they would have a positive stop and would have some sort of tension latch holding them against the stop.

Even with that, what ever is on the swing-outs will have a lot of leverage on the pivot points. When closed most of that leverage is gone because the end opposite of the hings is supported. When open this isn't the case. The weight suspended there isn't the problem, it's the dynamic effects from hitting potholes etc. that are the problem.

If it were short distances and infrequent then I'd say go for it. If this is a regular thing and/or over long distances then I'd say look for a different solution or make them easily removable.

Cambo

Adventurer
They could just be simply pinned in the open position, but ideally they would have a positive stop and would have some sort of tension latch holding them against the stop.

Even with that, what ever is on the swing-outs will have a lot of leverage on the pivot points. When closed most of that leverage is gone because the end opposite of the hings is supported. When open this isn't the case. The weight suspended there isn't the problem, it's the dynamic effects from hitting potholes etc. that are the problem.

If it were short distances and infrequent then I'd say go for it. If this is a regular thing and/or over long distances then I'd say look for a different solution or make them easily removable.

I think you could probably rig a bar to go across the tailgate and have the two ends latch to it and the bar latch to the tailgate. That way it is supported and opened. May be too much work though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior