Spare Tire Carrier Ideas

BIGdaddy

Expedition Leader
Dont mean to hijack and if I need to repost I will.

I love that carrier on the Xterra, was thinking about a similar plan for my Tacoma, do you think there would be a safe way to keep the gates locked open while you drive, Im thinking this because I often leave my tailgate open when i haul my dirtbikes and such. I would love to relocate my spare and have some cans but it seems like it eliminates the ability to drive with the tailgate down.

nope.

cantilevered loads + ruts/rocks/moose droppings =

cracked rear crossmember, busted hardware or worn out pivot bushings in a few thousand miles.

I'd say that's a no-go, sir.

:)

jnelson4x4taco

Adventurer
nope.

cantilevered loads + ruts/rocks/moose droppings =

cracked rear crossmember, busted hardware or worn out pivot bushings in a few thousand miles.

I'd say that's a no-go, sir.

:)

Thats what I was afraid of, I may have to look into an angled tiregate or something. Back on track, my apologies to the OP.

AlexJet

Explorer
Give Steve or Brant a call at CBI. They have many options with the bumper as well as stand alone carriers. If they don't have it, they can make it. Steve is a one fo a kind fabricator.

Casper

Adventurer
Thanks for the input guys. Seems like a lot of you are doing the double gate type tire carrier. Now that I think about that, might be easier to access the rear instead of one long gate to open. I also love the idea of the 2nd gen Toyota license plate holder. Thanks for that idea 97 Kurt!! Also, maybe the tire in the center with a gas can on either side lehgthwise so they don't stick out too far.

Thanks for all the compliments guys.
Cambo, I messed around with putting the tire in the middle and a can on each side. With a dual swing it is really hard to support the tire when it is that far out/over the end of the arm. Not that it can't be done, but you will want to make sure it is well supported. Pending on the size tire you run, the cans may not stick out past the tire. Plus, if you put the gas can swing out on the same side as you vehicles gas tank, and make sure the bottom of the cans is higher then the gas filler door you will not have to take the cans out of the holder to fill your tank. Just open the swing, get out your Supper Siphon (sp?) and away you go. No more heavy lifting. Just a though.

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

Cambo

Adventurer
Plus, if you put the gas can swing out on the same side as you vehicles gas tank, and make sure the bottom of the cans is higher then the gas filler door you will not have to take the cans out of the holder to fill your tank. Just open the swing, get out your Supper Siphon (sp?) and away you go. No more heavy lifting. Just a though.
QUOTE]

That is some good thinking right there!!

mantree91

Yeaaa, somewhere else to post photos of my rear bumper.
Feel free to ask any questions, this is what I did.

IMG_2109.jpg

IMG_2108.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2107.jpg

Cheers,
Josh
&
Porthos
:smiley_drive:

I like that alot. I am in the mile of buying a xterra and think I want to build one like that but add in some anchor points for tie downs for the kayaks on the roof.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior