Spare wheel with tire on James Baroud Explorer Evo

WestBoundDave

Observer
Hi,
I have bought 5 year old James Baroud Explorer Evo, hoping to have my spare wheel (265x70 R17 on alloy rim), however when I put it there, there seems to be quite a lot of flexing going on. I am bit worried that this might lead to vibrations on corrugations and then to potential fatigue cracking of the fibreglass shell. Has anybody actually carried a whole spare wheel on this tent for long periods of time without any adverse effects?
Cheers
David

WestBoundDave

Observer
I believe the total weight rating for that cargo area is either 50 or 60lbs. Your tire + wheel is almost certainly over that. I have the same tent and wouldn't put that much weight up there.

Lose the wheel, and the tire itself should be fine.

Ya, that is what I thought

rino

Supporting Sponsor - OK4WD
Correct the area was originally designed for just a spare tire without wheel for raids down in Africa where just a tire would do. Fast forward to the average overlander and the space makes more sense for some dry stroage bags less than 55lbs.

Unless you are a split rim having fellow :)

WestBoundDave

Observer
Correct the area was originally designed for just a spare tire without wheel for raids down in Africa where just a tire would do. Fast forward to the average overlander and the space makes more sense for some dry stroage bags less than 55lbs.

Unless you are a split rim having fellow :)

Might put just a spare tire up there, have not got the split rims, but got the tools to quickly change tires if need to be

J Smith

Might put just a spare tire up there, have not got the split rims, but got the tools to quickly change tires if need to be

Hey just come across this old post because I’m looking to do this exact thing. I have a spare Tire only 265/70R17 KM2 that I want to put on top of my James Baroud Explorer Evo in the luggage compartment. The tent it self seams to just open and close ok with tire on top. We are doing Cape York I’m worried how the tent shell will fair with corrugated roads ect. Total weight is probably 25-26kg with tire and tie downs.

How did you find it being a year out from the last post?

WestBoundDave

Observer
I took it across the Simpson desert, going off track directly off road via GPS for 200 km (geo center of the desert and geosurvay hill) and it did pretty good, No issues (I did loose front strut and rear shocker due to the difficulty of the terrain), with the setup, and it made closing the tent much easier. I did 6500 km in three weeks and a half, but not really bad corrugation, just rough roads. I will always use that set up for any longer trips

WestBoundDave

Observer
Hey just come across this old post because I’m looking to do this exact thing. I have a spare Tire only 265/70R17 KM2 that I want to put on top of my James Baroud Explorer Evo in the luggage compartment. The tent it self seams to just open and close ok with tire on top. We are doing Cape York I’m worried how the tent shell will fair with corrugated roads ect. Total weight is probably 25-26kg with tire and tie downs.

How did you find it being a year out from the last post?
I took it across the Simpson desert, going off track directly off road via GPS for 200 km (geo center of the desert and geosurvay hill) and it did pretty good, No issues (I did loose front strut and rear shocker due to the difficulty of the terrain), with the setup, and it made closing the tent much easier. I did 6500 km in three weeks and a half, but not really bad corrugation, just rough roads. I will always use that set up for any longer trips

Dozer Dan

Observer
Just out of interest, if you did have to change the tyre how would you fare? I did it once using tyre levers and it took me ages and all the strength I had. That was on my driveway, couldn't imagine it doing on the trail. Or have you got something, a tool or something to make an easy job out of it?

WestBoundDave

Observer
Just out of interest, if you did have to change the tyre how would you fare? I did it once using tyre levers and it took me ages and all the strength I had. That was on my driveway, couldn't imagine it doing on the trail. Or have you got something, a tool or something to make an easy job out of it?
Yes I was ready for it, and I did took the tire of the rim once, but not till Innamincka (after I got flat on Birdsville track). I have a very handy tool which makes it not easy, but much easier then using tire levers. Plus the tire stays out of the sand.2018-08-17_23-14-02.jpg
it is http://www2.tyrepliers.com.au/index.php?route=product/product&path=62&product_id=90, I have modified it fit onto bit of a square fence post that fits into my towbar receiver, as the bullbar attachment was too high for me and was always sleeping regardless of how tight I made the screws. And to break the beat I use high lift jack.
The device works fine, I have used it about 6 times now, to strip and put back tires.2018-08-17_23-05-39.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles