Spending Your First $2000 on Your Tacoma

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
Here’s an idea for discussion of veteran Tacoma owners and consideration by new or aspiring Tacoma owners, presented with the priorities of functionality and getting home, inspired by a similar thread on FJCs. There are many ways to skin the proverbial cat, or in this case, outfit a Tacoma for overlanding. I am sure that many will have different opinions and perspectives (a lift should be first, a bumper and winch should be first, what about your refrigerator?, etc.). After five years of Tacoma ownership, I have the following reflections. This is my two cents based on personal trial and error, friends’ experiences, and research. This list is how I would proceed if I were to start with a new truck tomorrow. These numbers come in just short of $2000, but I am sure tax and shipping will eat up that margin. If not, then you’ve got more funds for fuel.

Sliders – $410
The Tacoma is relatively long (by that, I mean it is longer than a JKU or 4Runner), so get sliders. And buy sliders first. Sliders have been the single best investment, besides gas for trips, in my truck and have saved my bacon several times. These range in price, configuration, and attachment set up (bolt on vs. weld). I prefer bolt on because I don’t like the idea of permanently attaching what is essentially disposal armor to my truck. Like skid plates, sliders are meant to be abused and should be easily removed for replacement or repair. Despite what some will say, bolt on and weld on are both strong enough. You wouldn’t weld on your skid plates or bumper, would you? There are many styles out there, as well. I really like Demello’s standard sliders. $410.

Skids – $725
As noted above, the truck is relatively long. It does, however, have decent ground clearance. But, even with a lift, you run a risk of damaging something when in rough terrain. Skids are very good insurance for getting home safely. Again, several brands. I am leaning towards the Bud Built skids and, if I can afford it, will go with aluminum to save weight. The steel set is $725. I should also note that I really like All Pro Offroad’s offerings and will likely add a few pieces of their armor, like the e-Locker skid, at some point.

Rear suspension – $600
I still do not understand why a company that does such a good job designing and manufacturing such stout vehicles cannot make leaf springs that are worth a damn. I have only ever owned vehicles with leaf sprung rear suspensions and I have never seen rear springs wear out so quickly. And for the record, I heavily use my vehicles. That’s why I buy trucks. The stock three leaf spring pack on my 2010 were abysmal and could not even handle a load of hay bales. The TSB spring pack helped, but are already wearing out (read, reforming into Ws) after less than 70,000 miles. Plan on replacing these springs. While you’re at it, you could consider upgrading the suspension all the way around. However, I never found the front lacking and wouldn’t say it is a critical early need. If you want something with a little better articulation, ride, and lift, (but not increase weight carrying capacity) you could upgrade with something like Icon’s add-a-leaf for $225. If you want more lift and more carrying capacity, consider All Pro’s ExPo leaf springs for $400. I will likely replace my leaf springs with the heavy duty Old Man Emu Dakar springs for moderate lift (2+”) and additional load carrying capacity at a cost of $350 - $400. Assuming you’ll go with additional lift, consider replacing your rear shocks, as well, for another $150 - $200.

Recovery Gear – $240
At some point, everyone will get stuck. Be like a Boy Scout and plan for it. While a winch is nice, I would not consider a winch critical. There are other options that cost less money, but require much, much more muscle. At the very least, purchase (and learn to use) a Hi-Lift jack. Also purchase a recovery kit with a tree strap, some shackles, and a recovery strap. Make sure to include the appropriate gear to transform your Hi-Lift into a come-along. Then throw in a hitch mounted shackle, a shovel, and a fire extinguisher and you’ll be somewhere near $240.

$500 - Winch and misc straps and D-Rings
Sorry it's not a Warn, but a cheapy rebadged 9000lb T-Max winch has done fine for me the past 5+ years. I think for a newbie this is essential, along with proper operation of a winch. I'm by no means an expert, but if you're going it alone or have others with you. It makes life a lot easier.

$100 - Material for making a winch bumper
I do alot of my own fabrication, good or bad, it helps to know how to make things. For the newbie, have a friend help, a simple plate and some gusseting goes a long way on the road to recovery.

$500 - 3" Lift
Used is fine for me, but 3" leaf springs in the rear (NO BLOCKS! or ADD-A-Leafs) and some used coil springs up front)

$400 - 32" Mud terrains Used works fine, the gearing can suck, but you get used to it! ha ha! Anything is better than stock, besides bald tires!

$500 - LSD or other traction device for the rear differential.
I would do the work myself, having rebuild diffs before. A resourceful newbie might be able to get someone to install it for fairly cheap, $150, is what a reputable friend of mine charges)

No sliders (initially), I have ran PNW tight and twisty tree trails and have had more dents put in areas above the slider area than ON the slider area. I need roof sliders!

BTW, these numbers are realistic from my personal experience. I could probably squeeze a few more items in but keeping this list simple for those that are entering into the world of offroad/expo. You can be really resourceful with the right tools and knowledge. Again, for a newbie, research research and research, when you're done, second guess yourself and look some more. TAKE YOUR TIME! I cant think of all the wasted parts and money I threw at stuff in a hurried flurry, just to change it a year later because I wasn't satisfied.

chequamegon

Observer
With the help of this forum, I received good advice, and felt my Tacoma build-out has started relatively well.

$400 - rock sliders
$800 - tires (my truck started as a TRD Sport)
$200 - used Firestone air spring kit
remainder + more - Flippac.

So, while I spent more than $2k right away, those are the items that were recommended to me by members, that I did, and in the order I felt they were important to the truck.

With the fully open diffs of a TRD Sport - and the weight of a Flippac - I feel that besides body protection (rock sliders), the more critical upgrade is tires. Good tires go a long way for traction and durability, and good AT tires with open diffs will probably still get you further than lockers and highway treads.

Jeffrey Patrick

^^X2!! Did the Demello sliders, then ARB front bumper and Warn M8000 winch all held up by an OME lift. Went over the 2K with the Front Range Off-road rear bumper, bigger tires and snorkel. Still need to get the Budbuilt skid plate and my bed Line X'ed. Always a work in progress, but at 103,000mi, she is just getting broke in!

the kid

Juke Box Hero
why are you guys spending $400+ on sliders, when trail gear makes sliders in the $200 range, that are more than adequate for the job, i have trail gear sliders on my runner and i have beat on that thing and those sliders and they have served me well and continue to do so. other than that id say armor the truck first, full belly skids, and diff skid as well as a fuel tank skid. im gonna go out on a limb here and take for granted that you are starting out with a TRD tacoma, so there is already a locker. this is how i went with my 4runner, i armored it before i lifted it. i figured if i knew i had a lift id be tempted to try more harder trails or be over ambitious and try and tackle tougher obstiacls and even with a 3" lift i could still damage exposed vitals... so i chose to protect those first and foremost. it worked great, if i need to get over something that i couldnt clear i just slid over it or got dragged over. once i did that i build my lift around that, this i came to see later was actually a benefit as i didnt waste any money really in my lift by having to do and redo to account for added weight, the weigh was already there(i did have to replace my front coils as they were not up to the challenge once the bumper and winch came, but that was only a $160 change). so for me and my runner(yes i know tacos and runners are different, but most of them are the same under all the skin minus the rear end) i was in it like $1000 for all my skids and sliders, so that would leave me $1000, next i would turn my attention to self recovery, again taking for granted that you have a locker(and even if you dont), a winch is your next item on the list. -dispite common beliefs and myths you dont need a bumper for your winch to work, there are many who have fab'd up winch mounts that sit in behind factory bumpers or even done the mobile mount systems(how i did it without a winch bumper). i would not skimp on the winch, imo you get what you pay for, if your budget is making you want to stay under $500 then look for a good used warn m8000 -they can be had for $2-300 if you are willing to wait and have cash in hand and can jump when you see a "red W", other wise $3-500 is a more common everyday price i see Warn winches at(both the m8000 and the xd9000(i, or no i -this is what i run currently). if you can spend more than $500 then you can buy a brand new m8000 or look at other nicer used warns like the 9.5xp or the 9.5ti -this is the one i started out with, got a deal on a used one, one pull, came mounted on a mobile mount and winch acc. bag, but no leads past the quick connect. the reason i like the mobile mount best is the winch can go in the front(requires a 2" receiver mounted to the front of the rig(small amount of fab work required but well worth it) and it can go to the back(requires either you run power leads out to the back of the truck or get a long set of jumper cables with the quick connect on one end(again this is how i went, case it allowed me to move that winch to any vehicle with a 2" receiver). now i know some of you might be saying yeah well "dude theres no way im gonna find a 9.5ti with mobile mount for $700, you just got lucky..." eh not true, i have seen a couple more good deals like this, infact there was warn 9.5ti on craigslist where i live for $500 last night, worked the guy just didnt have power leads. and before i got my deal a good friend of mine bought a 9.5ti with mobile mount, extended power leads, neoprene winch cover and snatch block for $500(he had to drive an hour and a half to get it but he got it). and imo a winch is one of the best things you will ever invest in in off-reading -way over lockers. a winch will get you out of what lockers got you into.
so lets recap here, we got $1000 into protective armor of vitals, and $700 on a good winch(new or used), so we have $300 left over, i say thats for other gear like recovery ie snatch straps, tow straps, tree savers and some shackles and a snatch block or two... thats how id set up my rig. -forget the fridge, what did guys do back before mobile fridges? they used coolers, thats right, my grandfather did, it worked well for him, and it works well for me. sleeping, well what did you do in the boy scouts or when you were car camping before you got into overlanding? thats right you use a regular tent and sleeping pad and bag, again worked well didnt it. as you save up you can get the firdge and RTT. get a lift, and some nice big MT or AT tires and a locker for the front(id go rear first if you dont already have one -a rear locker will get you probably 90% of the places you want to go, and the winch will get you the last 10). then slowly add in the little things like solar power. but yeah armor and winch are imo the two must haves!

Vantage

Adventurer
My first $2000.

- OME Lift
- 32" AT's
- Sliders

I still think that any person that wants to spend money on a vehicle should first put it to use. Lots of people can get around in a stock Tacoma just fine, especially if it has an e-locker. Wheel the truck, find out what it needs and move on from there.

Same thing goes for street cars depending if you want more speed (engine work), lower ride height, better suspension, stickier tires, stereo ect ect.

Once you put the truck through its paces you will immediately know what it needs.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Unless you're planning on going on really gnarly 4wd trails, (basically, rock-crawler trails) you don't need any of that stuff.

In my '04 Tacoma, (non-TRD, 3.4, 5 speed extended cab) I ran the following trails:

Medano Pass, Sangre de Cristos, CO
Unnamed trails near Creede, CO
Chihuahua Gulch (part way), Montezuma CO
Saints John/North Fork Swan/Georgia Pass
Unnamed trails near Rangely, CO
Unknown mountain near Craig, CO
Maze District, Canyonlands NP, UT
Shrine Pass/Ptarmigan Pass/Weston Pass, CO
Red Cone/Deer Creek/Middle Fork Swan
Long Canyon, UT
Gemini Bridges, UT
Canyon Rim Overlooks, UT
Unnamed roads, Central NV
Unknown pass near Black Rock Desert, NV
High Rock Canyon, NV
Domingo Pass, OR

In my '99 4Runner (3.4 Auto, rear locker) I ran the following trails:

Kingston Peak, CO
Red Cone/Webster Pass, CO
Chihuahua Gulch, CO
Saints John/Middle Fork Swan

Cottonwood Canyon, DVNP, CA
Trail Canyon, DVNP, CA
Warm Springs Canyon/Mengel Pass/Goler Wash, DVNP, CA”
Mosquito Pass, CO
Schofield Pass, CO

White Rim Trail, UT
Long Canyon, UT
Abajo Mtns, UT
Comb Wash, UT
River House (San Juan Hill), UT
Butler Wash, UT

Most of these trails rate at least a 3 on the 1-10 scale used by http://www.traildamage.com and some of them (notably Red Cone and Mengel Pass) have sections with big rock ledges and/or drops (I think Red Cone and Schofield might be a 4 or 5.)

These are some of the most scenic and spectacular trails in the West. And I ran them all on:

Stock suspension
Slightly larger than stock size tires (235/85/16 on the Taco and 265/75/16 on the 4runner)
Factory skidplates
No sliders
No armored bumper
No winch

The '99 4runner did have a rear diff lock but other than that no traction aids.

My point is that if you want to throw $2000 into armor, go for it but don't think that you need it, because you absolutely don't. A Tacoma or 4runner is already a pretty darn capable off-road vehicle. Decent tires, a way to sleep (camper shell/RTT/ground tent/Flip Pac, etc) a way to keep food cool (fridge or cooler) and a way to navigate (paper map, atlas or GPS) are about all you need. For the 3rd gen 4runner and 1st gen Taco, I'd probably add a way to carry at least 5 gallons of additional fuel since the gas tanks on those trucks are pretty small.

Honestly, my "first $2k" list wouldn't include any armor. Nor would it include a winch. If I were to have a Tacoma, my list would probably include new tires (if needed - that's $800+ right there), a topper or shell ($300 on Craigslist), a fridge ($300 - $500) and enough lumber to build a sleeping platform.

Last edited:

Clutch

<---Pass
Unless you're planning on going on really gnarly 4wd trails, (basically, rock-crawler trails) you don't need any of that stuff.

Yep agree with Martin.

Stock suspension works great until it is clapped out...replaced mine with Camburg coil overs and OME at 70K miles. Think I am
into my suspension for $1700 +/-.

My Tacoma came with a Topper...that was sold for $200, which I bought a Wildernest for $400, that was sold for $250,
then snatched a SnugTop off of CL for $200.

Did buy an ARB used off a Expo member for $400...did I need it? not really...use it more as a coffee table than anything. I wafer on selling it,
because I can't stand how it looks. Girlfriend says keep it, because we had a couple close calls with animal strikes.

I have no sleeping platform or fridge...no real need IMO. Practice the KISS method. Carry a shovel and that is about it for recovery gear. As long as you don't do anything real
silly, you won't need recovery gear.

We were making a route sheet last weekend...and I wanted to see how far we could go without putting it in 4WD, only had to put
it in 4WD once on a very small washed out rutted section...my buddy who is a Jeep guy, just couldn't get over how well the Tacoma wheels. Actually wouldn't
stop talking about it on the way home. I said: "I have been telling ya...these are great little trucks"

;)

2547_10151948656364630_1273847492_n.jpg 8618_10151656168869630_429232903_n.jpg

kinda into the hammock thing now, pick this up for $25 at ACE.

10549_10151656240184630_1409050246_n.jpg

Richietherocket

Adventurer
Martin, from way down town...BANG!
I was the one that brought over the first 2k from the Blue Room to add to another post about a week ago

I have run the majority of the passes that Martin talks about in a stock FJC without even sliders. I had running boards for the first 6 months. Hell, I did Mosquito Pass 10 hours after buying my FJC and not even knowing how to drive offroad. Years of mountain bike racing helps to see lines up and down through.

Now 18 months into ownership, I have sliders ($100 off of CL), recovery gear: shackles, straps, gloves, shovel, portable air compressor, high lift ($250 or so), new stock size tires from Discount ($700.00), no lift, some used Ricochet armor ($180).

I should have another $800 to go but the wife doesn't see it that way. We invested in great camping gear this year, awnings for the FJ, LED work lights and a CB. Now it's about going out and using all these new toys and enjoying what we have. Best thing about overlanding and building our toys..they are our's to do with but function over fashion will always win.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I'd say if you've got a Tacoma and $2k burning a hole in your pocket, use that money to buy gas and just go on a trip somewhere!

the kid

Juke Box Hero
oh no i agree that you do not need to spend any money on a rig other than gas to go places... i (and i think others as well) was taking the question more from the stand point of, there is $2000 in a jar, for this purpose... how would you or how would you recomend spending it. no one stated that this stuff is needed, and i dont think any of it is needed. i too have wheeled and explored with all of my trucks stock at first and then started adding mods as needed, budget allows(needs came first, then came budget allowances).

i only say armor and protection first as a way of preventing any serious damage to vitals and causing unduly or unnecessary and costly repairs from being a factor that prevents you from continuing -either the adventure at hand or future mods.

i have run the rubicon from loon lake to tahoe in a bone stock(still had the auto locking hubs) 85 extra cab pick up with just 31" tires on it, sure i had to take some bypasses, but not all of them, careful sober driving can do wonders(as well as a good spotter, i had only two dents from that trip, and they both were small). i then drove the truck 5 hrs home the next day, and continued to drive it as a daily driver for the next 7 years.

so yeah dont thing that you NEED to buy any of this stuff, or are OBLIGATED to buy it if you dont want to or dont know how to use it, other wise its just gonna be a waste of money. i dont invest money in investments that i dont understand, same should go with gear for your rig. dont buy stuff you dont know how to use or implement, it will just be a waste of your money.

-i have seen people take cars places a lot of 4x4s wont go.

Clutch

<---Pass
i too have wheeled and explored with all of my trucks stock at first and then started adding mods as needed, budget allows(needs came first, then came budget allowances).

My general rule of thumb is, to upgrade after you broke something...and sometimes what was stock was best to begin with...it is a Toyota after-all, they don't need much.

Stock suspension is crap though, even that TRD stuff. ;)

Some guys like to be a little more comfortable or have a little more convenience, spending money on that is ok too. We all come in different flavors. Ha!

Plannerman

Wandering Explorer
oh no i agree that you do not need to spend any money on a rig other than gas to go places... i (and i think others as well) was taking the question more from the stand point of, there is $2000 in a jar, for this purpose... how would you or how would you recomend spending it. no one stated that this stuff is needed, and i dont think any of it is needed. i too have wheeled and explored with all of my trucks stock at first and then started adding mods as needed, budget allows(needs came first, then came budget allowances).

i only say armor and protection first as a way of preventing any serious damage to vitals and causing unduly or unnecessary and costly repairs from being a factor that prevents you from continuing -either the adventure at hand or future mods.

i have run the rubicon from loon lake to tahoe in a bone stock(still had the auto locking hubs) 85 extra cab pick up with just 31" tires on it, sure i had to take some bypasses, but not all of them, careful sober driving can do wonders(as well as a good spotter, i had only two dents from that trip, and they both were small). i then drove the truck 5 hrs home the next day, and continued to drive it as a daily driver for the next 7 years.

so yeah dont thing that you NEED to buy any of this stuff, or are OBLIGATED to buy it if you dont want to or dont know how to use it, other wise its just gonna be a waste of money. i dont invest money in investments that i dont understand, same should go with gear for your rig. dont buy stuff you dont know how to use or implement, it will just be a waste of your money.

-i have seen people take cars places a lot of 4x4s wont go.

This is exactly what I had in mind. Really, it has only been relatively recent that I've had the funds to modify. Much can be done with the Tacoma right off the lot. That being said, I think it is interesting how we each prioritize different upgrades. For example, I find it intersting that several posts say tires are necessary. However, I drove the hell out of the stock rugged trails with nary an issue.

To each his own

Sent via fat thumb

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne