Spill Kits

What Do you have for a Spill Kit?

• BlueDevil Products 'TRAIL PAIL' SPILL KITS

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Susquehanna MotorSports PRORally Spill Kit

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Made my own.... Please explain in a post!

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Never really thought about it....

Votes: 8 57.1%

• Total voters

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
I know we do not want to think about this, but we all should be prepaired!
Searching I can only find 2 different spill kits available.
  1. Susquehanna MotorSports Rally Spill Kit.
  2. Blue Devil Products Trail Pail.
What do you have for a spill kit?

BogusBlake

2006 Expedition Trophy Champion
I have a bag of Peat-sorb, a bunch of plastic trash bags, and a plastic dog bowl sized catch pan that lives in my spares kit. It goes on every trail with me.

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
I have used Peat-sorb. Need to pick up somemore.
As far as a catch. I have a couple different amo cans. I dump the gear and use the can if the need arises.

crawler#976

Expedition Leader
Wil, I carry one of the Susquehanna kits under the passenger seat of the BPOS. It's come in handy - but then again, that rig sees only hard core trail use. I've rolled the truck with no spillage, but I've extended all the vents and made traps to help prevent fluid loss. The one time I did use it was when a buddy rolled a rock up into the oil pan - we captured the majority of the oil in garbage bags, and shoveled the comtaminated sand/soil int the same bag for disposal later.

Note: Proper disposal raises a whole other issue - it's almost impossible to find a site without paying a hefty fee. Technically it can't be placed in regular garbage or taken to the land fill. I was lucky - our shop was moving at the time and had to pay for a cleanup at the old building location, so I added my junk to the pile for incineration.

I don't think is neccessary for the average wheeler to carry a spill kit. If you (or anyone else) feels you're wheeling hard enough to be concerned about rolling, by all means get one...

The primary problem a "normal" wheeler would see is if they peel a rear diff cover or lose a drain plug - and unfortunately those usually result in a long string if oil being spilled - tough to deal with...but both are preventable.

The typical stamped steel removable diff cover like a D44 uses can be strengthened with a "rock ring" to avoid being peeled open. Hex type drain plugs like those found on Toyota's should be changed to a round low profile style that uses an Allen head socket to avoid having them knocked loose.

Carry a few extra garbage bags - they make a good catch basin or clean work area if you need to deal with oils/greasy items.

Mark

Last edited:

Grim Reaper

Expedition Leader
crawler#976 said:
Note: Proper disposal raises a whole other issue - it's almost impossible to find a site without paying a hefty fee. Technically it can't be placed in regular garbage or taken to the land fill. I was lucky - our shop was moving at the time and had to pay for a cleanup at the old building location, so I added my junk to the pile for incineration.

I don't think is neccessary for the average wheeler to carry a spill kit. If you (or anyone else) feels you're wheeling hard enough to be concerned about rolling, by all means get one...

Mark

http://www.peatsorb.com/

Peat Sorb helps you to create a cleaner environment. Peat Sorb with absorbed oil passed the T.C.L.P. (Toxic Characteristic Leachate Procedure) which permits it to be legally disposed of as ordinary garbage rather than as a hazardous substance. Peat Sorb has an affinity for hydrocarbons of all types, including light and heavy oils, gasoline, diesel fuels, and even refined hydrocarbons like polyester resins and paint. Peat Sorb also suppresses 90 percent of gasoline vapors which eliminates the danger of explosion.

Why I use this product.

calamaridog

Expedition Leader
My current spill kit is a shovel, a roll of paper towels, and a very heavy duty plastic bag.

Scoop up dirt, insert into bag. Very crude I know.

I also have some large absorbant mats you can open up and they will collect leaks and spills, such as if you do an emergency oil change or have a leak somewhere.

I want to try this peatsorb stuff out...

flyingwil

Supporting Sponsor - Sierra Expeditions
crawler#976 said:

I am starting to think the opposite. I was think that a punctured raditor, or similar, might require a spill kit. Although helpfull in the event of a rollover or falling into a (ahhmm..) Giant hole. I personally would like to be prepaired to cause as little impact on the environment, and started researching spill kits. In my opinion all with a tubular bumper should have a spill kit (for the radiator example), and it is a probably good idea just to have like the first aid kit.

Mark, nothing against you amigo. But I do not think that just wheeling hard enough to roll warrants one. I think we all should have one as a "just in case." Oh yeah, thanks for the offer on the welding help too!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz