Sportsmobile Build Up - A new project

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Hi!

So I got myself in trouble again...

:wings:

I bought a Sportsmobile on Ebay that I intend to convert into my expedition camper for a trip to Costa Rica in a few months. I have started a blog on it:

http://1996sportsmobilebuildup.blogspot.com/

I have never really used a blog before, so hopefully it will get better as we go. But it should allow me capture the progress on this van.

comments are welcome...

Christian
http://1996sportsmobilebuildup.blogspot.com/

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
slooowr6 said:
Congrats!!! You'll love that van.:luxhello: BTW, I'm local in San Jose area.

cool, perhaps we can meet eventually.

on May 5th there's a Syncro gathering in Hollister. I don't have a Syncro here, but I still have a bunch of friends that are going with theirs...so I may drive down over there with the Sportsmobile for the afternoon.

Christian

jgolden

Adventurer
I hoping to race the 24 hour at Laguna Seca on 9-1-2007. I have a schedule conflict with the one in June.

Plans are not yet solid, still working on a team....probably 3-5 guys.

James

ps. Nice Sportsmobile!!!!!

jeff@work

Adventurer
Congrats on the new purchase! I saw that one on ebay...looks like a very clean van!
The trip you're planning sounds like fun, i'm planning to do the same thing one of these days.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
jgolden said:
any updates?

how's the progress going?

sorry I was away for the last 2 weeks, so almost no progress beside that the van passed smogged with flying colors.

But I will work on it this week.

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
follow up on this tread...

I finally completed the "makeover" of my Sportsmobile. It looks and feel much better than when I got it!

However, i have decided to sell it back. For a lot of reasons, but mostly because I got an agreement with my partners to sell my shop in dodgy Richmond so I have no place to do the 4x4 conversion I intended to do on this van.

I will update my blog when i have a minute.

It's on Ebay now:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ford...008QQitemZ180134948675QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

will go to the highest bidder!

:)

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
That's no excuse!! That's an awesome van, there are plenty of shops in the bay area to complete the conversion.... I checked out the ebay, are you sure it's a 5.4 and not a 5.8L?

Christian P.

Expedition Leader
Staff member
Chris,

I just checked and you are right, it's a 5.8L. I'll update the listing.

As for the van, beside not having the place anymore, I really haven't been using as much as I expected. I will be gone most of the summer, so I rather sell it and get something else more useful for me. There's a lot of stuff I could do right now with $6K that would be more fun for me...like getting a DRZ400 Supermotard...

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
cool-- having fun is what's it's all about anyway. I'm sure the van will find a good home & will be used well. ----------Chris

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier