Spray on bed liner

zerodrift

Adventurer
That's a tough look Zerodrift.
I have a question regarding this bed liner stuff: I've converted a box truck for expedition, and I'm planning to roller on some Raptor for a durable finish to the box and smarten it up. The box has a thin fibreglass roof that has gone slightly porous letting in water, and originally I was going to Gelcoat it to seal it. But it has just occurred to me that I could just buy a few more litres of Raptor and do the roof in bed liner to seal it instead. Is this a sound plan?

I've no experience rolling this material on, but would imagine that this could work if you've perhaps added a few coats. Spraying two medium/light coats over a porous surface could be a hit or miss result due to the random application of texture. If it were me, I'd try coating from below with a gel coat to help seal the holes, then apply a thick coating of Raptor Liner on the top.

Factoid

Three criminal heroes
That's a tough look Zerodrift.
I have a question regarding this bed liner stuff: I've converted a box truck for expedition, and I'm planning to roller on some Raptor for a durable finish to the box and smarten it up. The box has a thin fibreglass roof that has gone slightly porous letting in water, and originally I was going to Gelcoat it to seal it. But it has just occurred to me that I could just buy a few more litres of Raptor and do the roof in bed liner to seal it instead. Is this a sound plan?

You can roll Raptor on, but two words of caution:

1. Buy extra rollers and inspect them often while using. The combination of the material and the rolling friction cause the roller to breakdown and bits of roller will eventually break off and imbed themselves in your finish.

2. It is hard to get a consistently even finish when rolling and brushing in corners and other tight spots. This is not a really big deal when coating the bed of your truck, but will become a much bigger deal on the roof or hood (you don’t realize how often you look at the hood until there is an imperfection and then it bugs you constantly).

For your porous roof, I would prepare the surface as required and then spray three light coats. It will seal the roof nicely and while it has texture, it has consistent texture as you see in zerodrift’s truck. It also is significantly more durable than gelcoat. Like a billion times!

zerodrift

Adventurer
Good info there Factoid!

Few more pictures of the material while it's curing. It was out of the garage for a few hours before winter weather arrived. Instructions mentioned that the coating should stay dry for 72 hours to allow for a full curing cycle. I've been setting a few tools on the hood and the material holds up really well, and I'm really enjoying the utilitarian feel to it.
4677a1c9ddcfe87e6efd1fe22a26a943.jpg
a880d1b472c93915841b01b7d922c4c4.jpg

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

shifty98

Observer
@zerodrift and others who have painted their vehicles:
How much experience does it take to make it look nice? I have painted a few trailers and utilitarian stuff in the past and have been pleased with my work but it scares me to think about repainting my DD 04 Suburban even though the paint is pretty bad on it. I just do not have enough confidence to start do it right now. After seeing your's though I am really digging the look especially over my current look with some scratches and all the stuff that comes with nearly 300k miles of adventure. Basically, how much experience did you have with vehicle paint jobs before you undertook this project?

zerodrift

Adventurer
@zerodrift and others who have painted their vehicles:
How much experience does it take to make it look nice? I have painted a few trailers and utilitarian stuff in the past and have been pleased with my work but it scares me to think about repainting my DD 04 Suburban even though the paint is pretty bad on it. I just do not have enough confidence to start do it right now. After seeing your's though I am really digging the look especially over my current look with some scratches and all the stuff that comes with nearly 300k miles of adventure. Basically, how much experience did you have with vehicle paint jobs before you undertook this project?
I personally have had no prior experience with any automotive paint. This was my most ambitious surface finish project to date. The texture really hides blemishes and makes it an easier process as it's forgiving. I've a few spots that are noticeably different as I moved the sprayer too close, or over tinted the mix which resulted in a few spots that were ever so slightly brighter.

That being said, if you take your time and can afford to spend 6-10 hours in prep (sanding, cleaning and masking) followed by 2-3 hours of actual spraying, you should be in the clear.

I'll take a few more pictures of the Montero out in the elements one I get the seats back in the vehicle. It has a rather interesting look as the texture plays tricks on your eyes when the vehicle is at a distance.
27b5c2a21b6035da724755445af2897a.jpg
b9dc4bf57e6b7423631ff78ccb5f0092.jpg

shifty98

Observer
I personally have had no prior experience with any automotive paint. This was my most ambitious surface finish project to date. The texture really hides blemishes and makes it an easier process as it's forgiving. I've a few spots that are noticeably different as I moved the sprayer too close, or over tinted the mix which resulted in a few spots that were ever so slightly brighter.

That being said, if you take your time and can afford to spend 6-10 hours in prep (sanding, cleaning and masking) followed by 2-3 hours of actual spraying, you should be in the clear.

I'll take a few more pictures of the Montero out in the elements one I get the seats back in the vehicle. It has a rather interesting look as the texture plays tricks on your eyes when the vehicle is at a distance.

Ok, looks real nice. That definitely inspires me to give it a go this summer. I may do a test run on my M1101 first though. It looks really nice!

zerodrift

Adventurer

Ok, looks real nice. That definitely inspires me to give it a go this summer. I may do a test run on my M1101 first though. It looks really nice!
Good call to practice on the trailer first. I also recommend watching watching a few videos online to get comfortable with the process. Here is one of several I got some value from:

Ambulando

You can roll Raptor on, but two words of caution:

1. Buy extra rollers and inspect them often while using. The combination of the material and the rolling friction cause the roller to breakdown and bits of roller will eventually break off and imbed themselves in your finish.

2. It is hard to get a consistently even finish when rolling and brushing in corners and other tight spots. This is not a really big deal when coating the bed of your truck, but will become a much bigger deal on the roof or hood (you don’t realize how often you look at the hood until there is an imperfection and then it bugs you constantly).

For your porous roof, I would prepare the surface as required and then spray three light coats. It will seal the roof nicely and while it has texture, it has consistent texture as you see in zerodrift’s truck. It also is significantly more durable than gelcoat. Like a billion times!

Thank you for the comprehensive reply, just what I needed to know and wanted to hear. I'll probably go with spraying it on I think in light of this advice, will maybe post my results in this thread or another.

zerodrift

Adventurer
Here are a few additional close up pictures showing the texture and a light dusting of some snow.
5310cc8c2b1fcec601dd81dcd07da99d.jpg
9bf3440f8281e3b4c0dd644d1b06da92.jpg
f3b87b4d35fec96e8d0a10f0861eff49.jpg
a7580b2db777e499141ef3b5439503a8.jpg

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
That Mitsu looks great Zerodrift! I wonder how much your mileage will suffer with all that surface profile <kidding>!

I have used Monstaliner, and it is a stellar product. I cannot say enough how nicely it applies and how tough it is. I did the front and bed of my trailer with it a few years ago and it worked out great. I did 2 heavy coats on the stone-chipped front of the trailer and it looked fantastic, nice thick profile and a nice even look. In the bed I did 2 thinner smoother coats with equal success.

I used a roller when I did mine and it worked out great. I used the textured roller that they shipped with the kit and found spares at a local paint shop. For the fenders I user 4" smooth foam rollers and back rolled it to a smooth fine texture, it looked great.

Bed - 2 med coats

20120715_110225 by Gregory Bird, on Flickr

Front - 2 heavier coats

20120715_110209 by Gregory Bird, on Flickr

Fender and under - 2 light coats

20120731_172022 by Gregory Bird, on Flickr

I picked up an EZliner kit at a local shop for the bed of my Ram. I have used it from the spray cans to touch up rub marks on my trailer tub (from the lid constantly rubbing) and it looked great, good match. Then I used it on my roof rack, it stood up to years in the sun and abrasions and hooks, lumber etc...so I am giving it a try now. Fingers crossed I have the same level of success as the Monstaliner.

old .45

Observer
Do any of the spray in bed liners off gas? I sleep in my truck bed with a topper... would not like that. I put a bed rug down and can remove it easily if I need to haul dirty stuff and it cleans up very well any way and covers up any scratches which I do not worry about too much anyway..... after all it is a truck to be used (not abused}. mjmcdowell

VanIsle_Greg

Do any of the spray in bed liners off gas? I sleep in my truck bed with a topper... would not like that. I put a bed rug down and can remove it easily if I need to haul dirty stuff and it cleans up very well any way and covers up any scratches which I do not worry about too much anyway..... after all it is a truck to be used (not abused}. mjmcdowell

Short answer is yes. But, because they are activated (catalyzed or 2 component) they only off gas for a very short amount of time. They dry / cure quickly and should not off gas for very long, depends on how much activator is used. As I recall, the tub of my trailer did not have much in the way of an odour after a couple of days? I closed it up after about a week and it never had any odor I noticed?

Results may vary, but that is my experience. Most applied products that cure the old school way (by oxidation) can take weeks to properly cure and can indeed have a lingering smell (off gas). Catalyzed or accelerated cure coatings generally kic off in a matter of hours to days and are full cure in a short amount of time. I believe most of these coatings are 48-72 hours for a full cure. Most regular coatings are 30 - 90 days.

This stuff is pretty inert once cured from my experience.

zerodrift

Adventurer
My experience was the coating smelled for a 3-5 days after coating it. But my garage was fairly cold and that prolongs the curing process. If you can wait a few days and are able to keep it dry, it could well be worth the effort.

VanIsle_Greg

My experience was the coating smelled for a 3-5 days after coating it. But my garage was fairly cold and that prolongs the curing process. If you can wait a few days and are able to keep it dry, it could well be worth the effort.

Mine was done in a warm to slightly hot shed in the early summer. Humidity can have a dramatic effect on the speed with which the coatings dry. In some cases (Monstaliner) they have resomendations as to the maximum humidity levels so that you don't get it flashing off in the can before you have finished. Best bet, follow the instructions for temp and humidity and only catalyze (activate) the amount you need. EZliner has instructions on how much activator to use based on working time and so on. It also affects the cure time.

This stuff is pretty inert once cured. Shouldn't be a problem in your pickup bedroom!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior