Sprinter 4WD Conversion Idea, GMT-800 IFS.

shade

In its original application, what would be attached to the weakest part from a donor vehicle?

Mwilliamshs

Explorer
I think the whole idea is to use to the 2500 Suburban stuff because it's slightly overkill, right? It uses a Dana 153147X u-joint at both ends of the front drive shaft. It has 1.125" bearing caps. A 1330 has smaller caps, 1.062".

If you different joints at each end of the shaft, consider where you want the weak link. I would want it at the case end. Lot less damage done by a single spinning yoke or CV up at the case than by an entire spinning shaft down by the transmission and engine oil pan.

If you can/do upgrade the case end, I would not go any stronger than the axle end.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Mostly the 2500 gear was for weight carrying and brakes. But your right, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense to save 75$ on a driveshaft.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
My Google-**** is weak today, I couldn't find a flange yoke. So I reached out to Rob at VanCompass. He pointed me to a company that makes a 1350 conversion yoke for the sprinter. Only 45$!

1563993723381.png

shade

I don't quite get the question. What part of the donor drivetrain is weakest?
I meant that the 2500 parts are probably stronger than some of the others, so you probably won't go wrong with similar strength parts, as opposed to some of the Jeep components.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
True, its a bit of a balancing act. Obviously the sprinters rear axle is no Dana 60, and I am not going to abuse my van like some folks do their trucks either.

b dkw1

Observer
I would run 1350's front and rear if at all possible. They will see the same loads at times. Need to back out of a ditch? That 1310 is going to hate life.

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Pulled a Tcase mounting stud. They are a bit unusual. The Tcase size is about 5/8-3/4" long b y 3/8-16 thread. The trans side is 1" long 3/8x24 thread. Total length is 1.95". A 3" stud is needed. These investment cast aluminum cases are fairly low density, so the lower pitch helps prevent thread failure.

1564339404958.png

Looks like Dorman 675-080 or 675-099 will work fine.

1564339429255.png

1564339433133.png

I measured the stock U joints on my van. They are 1.06" diameter caps, and about 3" across the outside. Pretty lightweight by american truck standards, but the factory driveshafts do usually go about 200k+ between replacements.

I think the best option is to go with 1350s all-around if I can find all the necessary yokes. Thats a common size for trucks in the 8-10klb range, and will reduce my spares count.

We just got back from a last-chance trip in the van (before it becomes a driveway fixture). So I may have time to drop the trans next weekend. Though who knows...

luthj

Engineer In Residence
Did a longer drive with the FWB connected. Some issues came up.

At random intervals, I would get 544F, which is speed sensor or wiring faulty. Sometimes it took 5 minutes, sometimes 20. it didn't seem to matter what speed I was going. Clearing the code resumed normal operation. Of course that requires the van to be going less than 30mph. When the dash lights illuminated, there was no other odd behavior, just sudden lights and no cruise.

One time I also got a 548F code. This is a generic error for "Unshielded electromagnetic equipment may cause interference." Which is not terribly helpful.

Other than the codes, everything operated completely normally until they appeared. It looks like I need to get my Oscope connected, and start driving with it on my dash.

I see three possible causes.

1 The FWB is doing something crazy, and outputting ridiculous noise.

2 The output signal is in some way not compatible with the ESP modules check routines

3 The ESP module runs some kind of check (12v pulse or something) at a random internal, or at some condition I don't yet know.

I will get the scope on it, and If I can't spot the cause (it may happen to quickly for me to notice). I will try lowering the output voltage to less than 3V. The last time I was getting these codes, I had the voltage too high. I will also review the code, to see what happens in a fault condition.

Last edited:

Anton2k3

Adventurer
Probably one of the most interesting threads on the portal at the moment. Are you an electrical engineer by trade? If not your knowlegde in this field is very impressive!

luthj

Engineer In Residence
I am an engineer, though not electrical. Engineering is a vast and deep field of expertise. I don't have much knowledge of RF design, or grid transmission, but I have learned a bit about automotive and embedded design. To be fair, there are quite a few EEs who couldn't crimp a wire if their life depended on it, and just as many MEs who couldn't find the power switch on a lathe or welder.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94