SSF556 Build Up - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Just ordered one of these...now I need to figure how to mount it...

b46550ee4ac048754f901fff7553423e.jpg

Also picked up a handheld CB...I know range is limited but to at least keep in touch on a trail ride...plus I do not have a lot of space for a bigger CB unit.

af5f2d376ec456518e3160f8a523f7a8.jpg

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Really digging this build! :beer:

My buddy has the same CB. He matched it to a magnetic mount antenna, and keeps the whole thing bundled with the cigarette lighter plug. He can toss it in any vehicle.
We talked to each other from about 6 miles apart in a very electrically noisy, and CB crowded environment.

Looking forward to checking out your awning install.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Ok got the awning installed and just in time for the American Adventurists weekend at Uwharrie...it was a total soaker and the awning worked out great...once I got everything together it was a quick install....used some L brackets from Home Depot and some bolts and locking nuts. You will need some Thule cross bars to get a good strong platform. The side rails WILL NOT support the awning...the are junk.

i-dPxCwQ6-L.jpg

i-VpJ9bfs-L.jpg

i-LDDKg5F-L.jpg

Awning installed and in use....very little if any wind noise on the highway.

i-NQVLJNF-L.jpg

i-n56XKnb-L.jpg

This issue I have had is trying to get a non damaged awning from the Amazon affiliated company...both awnings I have ordered have been damaged. I have gotten a refund and have ordered from another company...fingers crossed the 3rd awning shows up undamaged. On both of the awnings I have ordered the rear aluminum tracks have been dented and you are unable to slide the head of the bolt down the track....

Anyway I am confident I will get an undamaged awning eventually and it will be all good.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
One of the final things I wanted to get done was a rear locker....baby steps.

Air compressor is ready to be installed....need to do some welding on the bracket but it will eventually sit behind the coolant tank on the passenger side.

i-T8tmp3G-L.jpg

i-qRJrwqZ-L.jpg

New switch panel from Steel Armadillo

i-vkzTbLW-L.jpg

Will get the wiring run next week and then take to a local 4x4 shop for the rear locker install....:elkgrin:

Once the rear locker is installed, there is really not much else I want to get done at this time...

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Also got my CB antenna installed using a Steel Armadillo mount...easy enough to run the cable to the front. Also got Hilldweller to tune my Firestik for proper reception...:elkgrin:

i-ZFRNnFg-L.jpg

Last edited:

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Very clean mods! Glad to see more and more folks making stuff for the WJ and WK. They are very competent vehicles, with awesome tow ratings. :beer:

Lecoq

Explorer
Such a nice build. If I was going to build another Jeep it would be a wk like yours. Hope to get some feedback from your experience with the locker once you get to play with it.

Kosmo

Adventurer
Matrix Bumper? Value added?

I noticed your black bumper guard just appears with no explanation or writeup. Is it a matrix? How do you like it? Any value? Any plans for a winch?

Thanks

K

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
I noticed your black bumper guard just appears with no explanation or writeup. Is it a matrix? How do you like it? Any value? Any plans for a winch?

Thanks

K

It is the 4xGuard Matrix system...in regards to a winch...I am not sure I need one and to be honest not sure I want the added weight up front. Also I have some doubts about the monocoque and mounting a winch. Not sure we can get a proper winch mount on the WK...some have mounted a winch, but again I am skeptical on how secure it may be...I personally would not pull my WK out without 2 points attached plus a bridle or equalizer strap.....

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
took the CRD to a local offroad guy to get the ARB compressor and locker installed....hopefully it will be complete this time next week. They are building me a bracket in the engine bay behind the surge tank for the air compressor to sit on and installing the locker....plus received my ruffstuff diff cover....I like the no logo look of their cover...I installed the ARB wiring loom and switches last weekend...

e799a33039b56330a0c1a41ad13d2094.jpg
dcbf8257f9b1d474c7056855709c8da0.jpg

9d30defb368515b42e8f6c9e8ba9403e.jpg

e95e9e3b6ff2aa64681668b140a9dacd.jpg

Last edited:

VanIsle_Greg

I think I need a bigger truck!
Nice!

I really like the Ruff Stuff covers. I have 2 on my XJ and they are stellar. Strong as hell and simple. Stoked on the ARB, that will be a nice addition.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
ARB Compressor installed....
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446137710.469342.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446137726.177198.jpg

Ruff Stuff diff cover installed and will be spray painting it tonight...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1446137734.886575.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior