SSF556 Build Up - 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee CRD

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Rear locker eventually...the QT2 system is very capable for everything but extreme. And there are youtube videos of QT2 guys doing some extreme stuff without lockers. I just wanted a couple more inches of ground clearance and a more aggressive looking Jeep. This setup I believe allows me to DD and just improve off road.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Got some more stuff done this week...will be headed to Uwharrie next week for the open....

Got my 4xGuard rear guard installed....

Also finally got my Cibie lights from Daniel Stern....took forever but they are here...

i-dB3gDSR-L.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Finally got to spend sometime off road at Uwharrie.....the word of the day kids...mud.

Mud is fun and dangerous....

Jeep did great, tires did the best they could...OME suspension is the right height for me...cleared about everything. Drove up there in a major downpour, Duratracs did great in the rain. With 3 1/2 hours of trail time and 6 hours of highway time I got 19mpgs with the diesel. :wings:. There is a tune out there that should put back into the low 20s for fuel economy.

No one in our group got stuck. No major trail damage...so all in all a great day.

This is a brand new Duratrac....every tire was gooped up...AT and MT. I aired down to 20psi...maybe a tad lower would have been better.

DSC09035.jpg

i-8xFmQgR-L.jpg

Last edited:

Nikson

Explorer
Just surprised that your MPGs are somewhat low, unless all the other CRD owners are somewhat of a lairs... LOL

I heard that those could be tuned to do 30MPG (highway) with nothing but electronic tunes to the computer with a programmer.

I've been considering to do the diesel swap (3.0 Merc crd) into my LJ Wrangler.

You've got a great looking truck thou... thats for sure...

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
They are lying.....In stock form I have never gotten over 23mpgs in my Jeep CRD....it generally stayed in the low 20s for hwy only. Now there are some tunes out there they can give you 1-2 mpgs...no one is getting 30mpg in a CRD WK...even 2WD CRDs with tunes are getting only 26mpg..and that is with a rear gear swap.

Aero, full time 4wd, and the transmisson (5speed) are all limiting factors.

Just as a comparison so you do not think I am making this up....I also have a 2010 Mercedes ML350 CRD as well same engine as the Jeep CRD...it has much better aero, better transmission (7speed) and a different all wheel drive system....I have 55,000 miles on the ML350 and I get 26-28 on a regular basis with a mix of highway and city.

So 19mpgs with Duratracs, 2.5 inch lift, winter fuel, driving 75mph....I am cool with 19mpgs. That gives me close to 400 miles....I will be adding a GDE tune soon to bump me back over 20mpg.....

Where the diesel really shines is using the 400lb ft of torque in low gear to crawl over anything on the trail.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Finally went with the GDE ECO tune.....the big thing is it eliminates the potential swirl motor failure by locking open the flaps. Plus puts me back into the 20s on fuel economy, 241hp and 440torque:sombrero:....also immediately noticed a difference in exhaust temps at highway speed....lowered cat temps by 150+ degrees.

Waiting on a wiring harness for my Cibie H1 lights from Ray at Rallylights.com.

Nightkrawler

Observer
:coffeedrink:
for the DD weekend wheeler the CRD is now on my top pick for a new jeep. With the OME street manners are still accetable? Streeting a XJ with 33 on 800+ mile trips is getting a bit ruff and it seems to be overbuilt for most of the longer trips I like to take. How are the seats after a a few hundred miles? Thanks HIJACK over.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
:coffeedrink:
for the DD weekend wheeler the CRD is now on my top pick for a new jeep. With the OME street manners are still accetable? Streeting a XJ with 33 on 800+ mile trips is getting a bit ruff and it seems to be overbuilt for most of the longer trips I like to take. How are the seats after a a few hundred miles? Thanks HIJACK over.

The OME is a great update for the WK. In my opinion it provides enough lift (10 inches at the rear diff with 265/70 tires) and still maintains a firm yet acceptable ride. Minimal nose dive and it is well planted around corners.......it will do 75mph all day long. With Duratracs I can still listen to the radio at the 10 level. The seats fit me fine, but that may vary.

There are swirl motor and DPF deletes now available via tunes.

Try to find either QD2 or QT2.....QD2 = fr/rr elec diffs and 4lo
QT2 = brake assist and 4lo. Can add an ARB, which I will be doing next.

Jason911

Adventurer
'08 CRD WK

Jusg wanted to say thanks to Scooter for posting this thread on the WK. I've been following his build here and on Jeepforums. A lot of what has been offered up helped me make my decision. Tomorrow I pick-up a lightly used '08 WK CRD with just 33k on the odometer, QT II and all stock. One owner from the U.P. I hope Scooter doesn't mind, but I'm going to mirror his build somewhat with mine, more or less. I like the look and drive of the WK, and I miss owning a diesel. It will be a DD, with weekend trail use as secondary. 2" lift and 265 BFG ATs are first, followed by the GDE tune. Should be a great build/drive and I'm looking forward to it.

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Thanks for the props...not enough love for the WK around here, working on that though. But for North/South America this is a great expedition vehicle. If I was going to be crossing the Sahara or the Outback I may think about another rig.

Let me know if you need any help.....get the air intake seal checked...and I would do an oil change with the correct 229.51 oil for peace of mind. The ECO tune will eliminate the potential swirl motor issue.

Good luck....:sombrero:

Last edited:

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Finally got my Cibie H1 high beams installed.....got a plug and play harness from rallyelights.com....it is a little pricey but it is done right. The harness allows me to include the cibies when I hit my high beams....lots of candle power now......
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1338421034.969276.jpg

SSF556

SE Expedition Society
Been working on upgrading my lighting......Just installed a set of Phillips HIR Low Beam and High Beam bulbs...these are direct replacements after you file or dremel down the top tab. Took me about 5 minutes for all the bulbs to get them to fit. I used a dremel cutting tool and file. These bulbs are probably the best direct OEM replacement bulb on the market...I got them from rallylights.com

I also bought a set of Bosch 100 compact fog lights....

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339027244.001146.jpg

the 100s fit nicely into the OEM plastic housing. I drilled a hole in the top of the plastic housing and attached the fog light to that using the supplied bolt and locking nut.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339027306.318566.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339027316.775797.jpg

I have ordered some connectors to make it look OEM.....

6cce34de-f132-c5e2.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339027356.623948.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1339027356.623948.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz