Stains on Ex-Officio

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
My wife just purchased some Ex-Officio blouses thinking that they are stain resistant. A little bit of salad dressing left a stain on 100% nylon. The style # is 2001-0797. The blouse has mesh inserts on the side. An attemt to spot wash the stain with cold water was done as soon as the stain occured. It did not go away after the regular washing. Any remedy ideas here? My wife is really bummed to have the bloise stained after only one use.

haven

Expedition Leader
Have you tried contacting Ex Officio? My shirt experience is
only with the Ex Officio Air Strip long sleeve model. It's a
nylon/polyester blend. Stains from food and sweat wash right
out. I sometimes use a prewash like Oxyclean on a tough stain
like engine grease.

Momrocks

Adventurer
No experience with oily stuff like salad dressing but I have an old green long sleeve ExOfficio shirt that is really (salt?) stained up in the pit area. It never washed out very well. The fabric dries really quickly but is embarrasingly unsightly. Kind of function over form I guess. I don't wear it when I think someone may see me. I picked up the shirt deeply discounted at Sierra Trading Post, I just figure ExO discontinued that style fabric because of similar problems with customer's nasty pits. Maybe it's a wider issue, I have no other experience with ExOfficio.

yubert

Explorer
Oil Eater works great!

I use Oil Eater to remove motor oil as well as vegetable oil from clothing. It just seems to dissolve the oil and it's biodegradable. I've used it on Ex Officio Air Strip shirts as well as Ex Officio nylon pants and the oil stain was removed 100%!

http://www.oileater.com/CleanerDegreaser.html

I don't know who sells Oil Eater locally but I got a bottle eons ago at Fedco but I think they folded 10 years ago.

jcbrandon

Explorer
...A little bit of salad dressing left a stain...Any remedy ideas here? ...

You see; that's what happens when you eat salad. I recommend staying higher up the food chain. As a good pal of mine says, "Salad? That's not food. That's what food eats."

Note: No animals nor salads were harmed in the creation of this post. This is an attempt at humor. It may have failed. Please return to the laundry discussion.

Connie

Day walker, Overland Certified OC0013
If the stain is from the oil in the salad dressing: Put a little WD-40 on the oil spot (I have one of the No Mess pens that I keep on hand just for laundry) let it sit for 10-15 minutes, sounds weird, but fresh oil will help remove set in oil, then use undiluted liquid dishwashing soap (not the dishwasher stuff, but the old fashioned hand washing stuff) and a scrub brush to work it into the fabric, then run it through the washing machine again. Check to make sure the stain is out before putting it in the dryer.

If the stain is not from the oil part of the salad dressing, what kind of dressing was it? Because that will make a difference on the treatment method.

tdesanto

Expedition Leader
If it's the oil that caused the stain, then a good emulsifier is what you need. So, Goop, liquid dish soap, Simple Green, Spray-N-Wash, etc. should all help.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
Thanks to all for the advice. We picked up a product called "Stain-be-gone" in the regular laundry detergent aisle at Walmart in Payson, AZ. It is a gel with a scrubbing tip that came in a 7 oz plastic bottle. Anne used it the stains. The directions said it could be left on the clothing for up to 5 days before washing. After 4 days, the blouse was washed and bingo, the stains were gone. :) The product information listed oil stains as one of its' specialties.

It is worth noting that a previous wash & dry cycle were performed and we thought that the stain may have become set. Not true.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior