Starter stays engaged or no start???

Funrover

Expedition Leader
93 Range Rover LWB 126,000 miles

Some back story. Not long ago I put in a new blower motor/heater core. Before putting the dash back in I tested the new items. After hooking up the battery to start it the starter stayed engaged. Took the key out, just kept going. Undid battery. Looked around didn't see any wires crossed etc. Hooked back up and did fine.

Now forward about a month. Wife was going to visit family. Stops to get gas and the truck will not turn over. Nothing. She has power but nothing is happening. Her Uncle drives down to help and found a broken fuse-able link. No biggie, quick fix and it all works.

Yesterday the starter once again did not disengage, but when the key was removed it stopped. Today it would not turn over for a couple tries. Then all the sudden fine...

Please help me, where do I start on this?

My thoughts are ign. switch, but I have read some about solenoid wire causing issues.

proper4wd

Expedition Leader
I'd start at the starter itself, you need to do some more simple diagnosis during the no crank condition. Check for the signal going to the starter solenoid trigger with a test light.

My shotgun diagnosis is that the starter solenoid is done. Replace the starter motor assy.

Funrover

Expedition Leader
I'd start at the starter itself, you need to do some more simple diagnosis during the no crank condition. Check for the signal going to the starter solenoid trigger with a test light.

My shotgun diagnosis is that the starter solenoid is done. Replace the starter motor assy.

What are some ways to test? It's so intermittent that I am having issues with any test.

slomatt

Adventurer
On Toyotas it is common for the starter contacts to get a grove worn into them to the point where they seize on the plunger, this can cause the starter to get stuck in the engaged position. I had this happen on my 4Runner and replacing the contacts fixed the issue.

Not sure if the same problem happens with Land Rovers or not.

- Matt

Funrover

Expedition Leader
On Toyotas it is common for the starter contacts to get a grove worn into them to the point where they seize on the plunger, this can cause the starter to get stuck in the engaged position. I had this happen on my 4Runner and replacing the contacts fixed the issue.

Not sure if the same problem happens with Land Rovers or not.

- Matt

Thank you for the insight. I will give that a look!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles