Steelhead on the fly

constructeur

Adventurer
New to the forum, and there's nothing I love more to do when outside than stand in the water and wave a stick around in hopes of a tug :costumed-smiley-007

This is a late winter fish on a local river, I'm sure the fish of a lifetime for me on that particular system. I caught him on the swing, and as I stated at the end of the season; my mates and I feel that earlier in the year he was over 20 lbs...Here I'm guessing 18lbs or so.
29867_1373160441952_1020004930_30850044_6519003_n.jpg

This is of a summer fish on the dry side. The water was freezing @ 6:30am! If you look closely you'll see he's in full spawn colors with a stunning band of red on his cheek and down his side. Unfortunately the pic just doesn't do this fish justice.
40480_112279492160208_100001344730910_79373_4350003_n.jpg

and just for good measure here's me hooked up to a nice Cutthroat trout in the saltwater a week back. It was a nice fall morning on the water, lots of birds, a few seals, and my mate and I. Bummer the run of silvers this year is so dismal.
62689_1560374899616_1542601742_1422143_2355760_n.jpg

If any of you guys are ever in the Seattle area and want to wet a line, lmk.

-Terry

Wander

Expedition Leader
The only trout you see that side over here in NC is in an aquarium!

Nice fish. I've read about the steelhead runs in northern Michigan and the fish being huge and primordial, I'll have to try it sometime.

constructeur

Adventurer
Vander- Ha, I meant it!...plus it would mean I'd get to check out your traveling rig!

I saw you post elsewhere about spending some time in Baja, there should be plenty of great fishing there for you.

7wt

Expedition Leader
Very nice. I went steelheading in WI but never caught anything. I guess I wasn't anywhere near the 1000 cast required.

flywgn

Explorer
Lovely fish, Terry. You don't mention the "local river". Are we to guess?? :ylsmoke:

And a note to "Wander"...just 741.2 miles north of you there's Cattaraugus Creek, near Springville, NY. That's not far for a die-hard steelheader.

Allen R

Attachments

• Copy of fisherfly.gif
    Copy of fisherfly.gif
    18.6 KB · Views: 8

constructeur

Adventurer
Sorry lads, I don't fish and tell. Not to sound like an ***, but thats how rivers get 'blown up,' and these special fish really need to be earned.

I can tell you that it's a fairly close 'S' river, meaning it could be any river that starts with an 'S' in the general Seattle area....I can also say that if you fish the local rivers enough you'll know that spot by the details of the pics...

Hmmm..Thursday afternoon here, only one more day till I get to go fishing! :ylsmoke:

flywgn

Explorer
I appreciate your reticence to disclose your "local" river, Terry.

"Lads"!!!! My, I haven't been called a "lad" since a ghillie shook his head thirty-five years ago and said, "Laddie, I think with more practice, you might master it." The "it" was the Spey rod I was wielding with ineptness and damn little success.

Allen R.

Willman

Sorry lads, I don't fish and tell. Not to sound like an ***, but thats how rivers get 'blown up,' and these special fish really need to be earned.

I can tell you that it's a fairly close 'S' river, meaning it could be any river that starts with an 'S' in the general Seattle area....I can also say that if you fish the local rivers enough you'll know that spot by the details of the pics...

Hmmm..Thursday afternoon here, only one more day till I get to go fishing! :ylsmoke:

Right on! Lots of water up ;)

I appreciate your reticence to disclose your "local" river, Terry.

"Lads"!!!! My, I haven't been called a "lad" since a ghillie shook his head thirty-five years ago and said, "Laddie, I think with more practice, you might master it." The "it" was the Spey rod I was wielding with ineptness and damn little success.

Allen R.

Allen...Your the man!

constructeur

Adventurer
Allen- Would I know you from speypages? Hmm..to fish in Scotland! Post some pics if you have any!

I haven't commited to buying a spey set up yet but cast others rods often...just used a nice Buelah 12'7" 7/8 w/ guideline power taper this morning infact.

Most of my fishing has been done w/ a 10' Echo classic and a Rio multitip line. Aaron Reimer from River Run Anglers showed me some basic single spey and adaptable scandi casts and I've never looked back.

flywgn

Explorer
Allen- Would I know you from speypages? Hmm..to fish in Scotland! Post some pics if you have any!...

I'm not familiar with "speypages", so probably not there. As for pictures, I assume you're talking about photos of me with a Spey rod and fish on. I do have a print or two tucked away in an album. I might even be adept enough with this printer/scanner I have to scan one onto my computer. If I can't, perhaps my 8-yr-old neighbor can show me how.

The incident about "laddie" I was referring to was the only time I ever fished with a Spey rod (1985), on the River Spey as a guest of a distillery that owns a beat on the river. I wasn't distinguishing myself very well and wished for my 8wt standing in a rack at home, but the ghillie was patient.

With his expert guidance I managed to land a nice fish which the hotel near Grantown-on-Spey prepared for us that evening. The fish was large enough that we (I, my wife, and our friend who had arranged for the beat) were able to offer fresh salmon to other guests and the head waiter made a big deal of each serving to those folks. That day, without a doubt, is one of the more memorable in my fly-fishing journals.

I don't consider myself to be an expert fly-fisher, but I have managed to have had some incredible experiences on some incredible waters.

Allen R

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94