Steering gear computer module fried

I personally didn't know this when I bought the truck and of course my dad loves ford and kicked me down $10,000 towards it. I wanted a Tacoma but I am 6'9" tall.

FordGuy1

Adventurer
Um dumb question but why would you want to use a truck that has computer steering as a adventure rig. I know my Super Duty if I lose the pcm I'm done for but that's one computer and I have a spare.

You are going to see this in almost all vehicles and trucks.......We are running out of time!

98dango

Expedition Leader
Sad day I know. I have over 40 hours in to removing the gem module in my Super Duty. It's a complete over engineered pos.

SUPER SPECIAL THANKS TO FORDGUY1 !!!
So because I have a decently high LTV score of 75 with ford and because I made a call to the main office and started a case with them I was able to save half of the larger bill. It was reduced from $1,500 to $750. So that's awesome! It is a crappy design and you need to remember that when installing after market accessories, one must first remove the battery terminals prior to adding or installing any battery connected devices. Otherwise you can fry your Steering Gear control module. The part was $1,100 and labor $400. If you are near the end of your 36,000 mile warranty, you might want to add an additional warranty above and beyond. Mine was just an oil change past warranty and I still had to pay a big chunk of my expedition money. Better here than on the road.

surlydiesel

Adventurer
I'm a laid back guy when it comes to mistakes and such but I think the shop owes you the rest of the repair money. Anyone working on a vehicle in a shop in regards to wiring up new components, should always disconnect the battery first. If they did not disconnect your battery while doing the repair/install, I feel they did not do due diligence on their part and caused your current repair bill. They should be able to submit it as an insurance claim or just eat it as a mistake they will never make again. Just saying. Glad you're road ready again.

-jorge

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles