Steering problem after front end work

NickSchmaus

Observer
On my 96 ls. I put everything back together but of course I forgot to mark the steering wheel shaft connection to the steering gear box.

Of course it won't turn left...I disconnected it again and checked the steering wheel itself...it just spins forever seemingly. This doesn't make sense to me because I never took the arm off of the steering gear box.

How do I reset the steering ? I looked over the fsm and chiltons, nothing. Thanks.
2d2f70fd8715f9654f609b29606553b0.jpg

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Looks like your UCA is missing a nut...
Don't free spin your steering wheel you very well can break the turn signal cam or clockspring or whatever inside.

Anyway, aim your wheels forward and check for what is binding when you turn left. With the wheels straight you can remove the steering shaft and recenter your steering wheel. Maybe you have your steering assembly on backwards and the castle nuts or TRE is contacting the draglink (I've seen this done once). If you never removed the pitman arm the problen is below that, maybe some pictures are in order.

NickSchmaus

Observer
Looks like your UCA is missing a nut...
Don't free spin your steering wheel you very well can break the turn signal cam or clockspring or whatever inside.

Anyway, aim your wheels forward and check for what is binding when you turn left. With the wheels straight you can remove the steering shaft and recenter your steering wheel. Maybe you have your steering assembly on backwards and the castle nuts or TRE is contacting the draglink (I've seen this done once). If you never removed the pitman arm the problen is below that, maybe some pictures are in order.
That's the before photo. That uca has new bushings and nuts now. I probably broke something inside the steering wheel mechanism. I never felt anything give but I spun it a bit.

Yeah maybe it's just hitting something. Something is a bit strange.

Now that I think about it. I think your right about the steering assembly being on backwards. I thought it could only back on one way. I'll post a pic in a sec.

NickSchmaus

Observer
e92ad886c142a2330895958843413ac4.jpg

Yes I'm retarded. Lesson is: I knew I wasn't 100% sure but went ahead anyways. Don't do that. Double check first.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Don't feel bad, problem solved!

For those who don't see. It should look like this20180525_124257.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles