Steering Wheel Wobble a Gen 3 Curse?

Thanks. Toasty. I actually showed the dude at the tire shop your post this morning to let him know that a more manual approach might be required.

If there's still a vibration after today I'll consider throwing money at CV axles (which I suspect are warped from previous heavy tires and strut spacers) and maybe a new control arm bushing. Will also look into motor mounts and driveshaft Ujoints. Hoping none of that is required. Thanks again for all input.

Ocdfisher

I had the same issue with the montero I got a few months ago. Drove it from Norfolk to Florida with the steering wheel really shaking back and forth. I took it and had the tires force balanced for $100. Problem solved 95%. Btw, the bf Goodrich at ko3 only had 700 miles on them after initial balance and install by previous owner.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
Some tire shops do a really bad job at balancing and on top of that almost all tire shops impact wheels on. Even if they torque wrench them after slamming them down with a gun is a good way to have your wheels mounted off center or mistorqued.

Anyone in here ever have issues with weights falling off of wheels after a fresh balance job?I’ve now taken it to a local shop twice for a road force balance — last time was this past Tuesday. Both times I have found new weights lying under the truck. ? They are now asking me to bring it back for a third time. What advice can I give these yahoos to make sure the weights stick and the balance job I’ve paid for lasts longer than a day?!

Attachments

• 937F6347-5B2A-48BD-A37F-7CB13349451B.jpeg
    937F6347-5B2A-48BD-A37F-7CB13349451B.jpeg
    796.7 KB · Views: 7
  • 77A2DE2E-2201-4460-BBA4-23CD14C8CFF8.jpeg
    77A2DE2E-2201-4460-BBA4-23CD14C8CFF8.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

ajm291

just say NO to stick-on weights

Ditto. I should have mentioned that when I took mine to the dealership for a proper balance, they removed all of the stick on weights and used the weights that clip on the lip of the wheel. These clip on weights are on the inside lip of the wheel to keep them hidden from view if you’re worried about looks.

Tliska10

Ok I just put on my am wheels hub for is 106, I didn't use hubcentric rings and wow, it wobbling crazy, I just ordered some hubcentric rings. For $38 bucks....

Salonika

Monterror Pilot
I vote for control arm bushings.....I can’t see how a CV axle could cause the problem you describe without them being severely out of round.....and bearings seem unlikely as well. Checking the lower control arms wont cost you anything but time. I checked mine with a huge long prybar once everything was disconnected. I don’t have a gen-3 but even at 200k they were tight as new so I didn’t touch the lowers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles