Stepvan Build Thread

tgreening

Expedition Leader
I friggin LOVE this thing, I almost wanted to abandon ship on the lunchbox and start building a step van after seeing this picture

If I recall it had originally been set up as some sort of train track maintenance vehicle. It had the mechanism that allowed it to run on the rails, which had been removed. It had some big honkin diesel in it and it sold for some stupid cheap sub $5k price. I came REAL close to pulling the trigger on this thing but thank my various gods good sense prevailed. Like I need another project.

Lunchbox2

Explorer
If I recall it had originally been set up as some sort of train track maintenance vehicle. It had the mechanism that allowed it to run on the rails, which had been removed. It had some big honkin diesel in it and it sold for some stupid cheap sub $5k price. I came REAL close to pulling the trigger on this thing but thank my various gods good sense prevailed. Like I need another project.

I think you're right about the train track deal. The price was around $4k I thought, it was something STOOPID cheap. Somebody got one helluva rig for the money!

peabody31

Haha Thanks for all the feed back guys! Some great pictures of inspiration you are sharing! A few good tips in there as well! I will do my best to stay up to date and not let down this swam of vultures I now have circling over head.

peabody31

we had a step van for years a 1972 4spd manual,292" inline six,never let us down
miles and mile in baja,we still miss it biggest mistake in selling a vehicle i ever made.
found a old picture might give you inspiration !

Les lqhikers

How did you insulate your floor. I will be in cold winter conditions in this and want to stay warm, obviously. Did you just sandwich rigid insulation between the floor and ply wood or but small joist in there?

lqhikers

Adventurer
insulation

wood steps between ribs,1/2"foam, 1/2" plywood,vinyl to finish.
ceiling was framed in wth wood strips then insulated followed with 1/8" plywood with indoor outdoor carpet.
walls were framed,.insulated,then covered with finished 1/4" panels.
i thank i used typical r-15 insulation.

i never worried about being overloaded.the 1st picture i posted shows us on our way back from 2 months in baja.
2 bikes, in front a dual sport motorcycle on a rack on rear,2 kayaks on top,,plus a zodiac inflatable boat with 20 horsepower
motor on rear roof rack,all the gear, plus i had 2 custom 50 gal gas tanks installed.

also since it was the 70's we had a wood burning stove,(sure do miss our "hippy" days!).

hope this answers some of your questions.

Les lqhikers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94