Still a demand for Baja style campers?

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Woah those diamond strength campers look crazy! The pic on the website without the skin when its just bare bones and wood.... the amount of support and triangles looks a little much doesnt it?

TCS

Timbo
Just saw this thread - I spent a year (2014-2015) trying to find the illusive Callen shell for my Tacoma in San Diego and this is what I found - You can order Callen style aluminum campers through two different manufactures in California. You just have to do a custom order and pay $$$. Access manufacturing tradesman truck tops can be configured to be cabover campers - I got a price quote north of 8k for one for my Tacoma... The other company (whom I ordered a bare bones 1x1 aluminum shell from and then outfitted myself) is lifetime workmate camper shells - the custom build out for those is not as pricey as the Access shells, but still not cheap... If someone bulk ordered a ton you could probably bring the cost down quite a bit. If you guys are serious about building some of these to sell, I have done a ton of research into improvements that could be done that could make these rad camper shell even better. I'm a PhD student right now so I don't have the funds to go out and build a bunch, otherwise I would because honestly all the current options leave room for some serious competition.

I'm currently selling my setup on expo to get a bigger truck/van for the family. exterior_allClosed.jpg

trijv

Commercial Truck Body?

One thing I was looking at was using a commercial truck body inside a pickup.

Here is one type of manufacturer:
http://www.commercialtruckbodies.com/Durashell.html
(Note the 335 and 385 bodies in the right side)

One thing I found out is that they are expensive.

Still, if you want a transferable camper body that you can customized the interior (and if you got the funds and skills), this could be a way to go for a this style of a camper.

CSG

Explorer
I'm too old for what I used to run back in the early 80's but for younger, more agile guys, the shells like Bel Air camper makes in SoCal along with a carpet kit (see the same site) was a great way to explore the west. I had a 1979 Plymouth Arrow (same as the Dodge D-50) with that style shell and a carpet kit and it was great! Could go anywhere and stealthy as could be. I don't know why they fell out of favor.

http://www.belairshells.com/carpet_1

Last edited:

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
Gosh,I paid $1800 for my Callen half cabover on my 1998.5 Ram 2500. Brand new with rack and vent.
Sold it and got the popup in my signature which I've used for 15 yrs now and two trucks.

blupaddler

Conspirator
Being San Diego local as well, I have a big soft-spot for Callens.

I'd be great to see a local name revived...

Regcabguy

Oil eater.
I actually had three of them. First one was a flush one with radius sides that I scored from Valley Camper Sales in Escondido. 2nd one was used non-cabover. 3rd was a half/cabover model. Too bad the son killed the company.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
new durable camper for the offroad - 750 lbs, <$10k - Cave Campers

I've been enjoying this thread and wonder how you folks think the Cave Camper would fit this sort of need. It truly is light enough for a 1/2 ton truck, is tough as hell thanks to composite panel construction, there's nothing to break, and you can spray the entire thing clean. We're a new entrant in the market and would love to get your feedback.

Cave Collage.jpg

billy610

Dylan,

The Cave Camper looks very nice and well built, but for me personally I don't see a lot of reason to go with the Cave Camper @ $10K over just a standard truck cap. It appears all you're getting with the Cave Camper over a truck cap is the ability to stand and better insulation. If the heating and cooling was added along with a 2 burner cook top and a small refer for not a whole more $$ I would give it a hard look.

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Dylan,

The Cave Camper looks very nice and well built, but for me personally I don't see a lot of reason to go with the Cave Camper @ $10K over just a standard truck cap. It appears all you're getting with the Cave Camper over a truck cap is the ability to stand and better insulation. If the heating and cooling was added along with a 2 burner cook top and a small refer for not a whole more $$ I would give it a hard look.

Great feedback billy610! Thank you. That's just the sort of thing I'm looking for in these forums.

I like to think of the Cave camper you see now as a blank slate. It wouldn't be too hard to add a stove and refrigerator (or electric cooler) as mounted options. We're working on some of those ideas now actually. If we don't have to change the shell dimensions there is lot we can do. These campers are made to order; we don't carry inventory.

I can see how you might compare it to a truck topper. I can tell you that it's a big difference once you use a Cave camper both for spending time in and moving and storing gear. However, it's kind of a seeing is believing thing so I won't try to convince you here. :)

Cave_Campers

Supporting Sponsor
Oh, I should also mention that these pictures you see here are of our first prototype. After a summer of driving around and gathering feedback we've made some adjustments to the production version which will start shipping in December.

Key Changes in production model:

1. We drop the over cab storage down so there's not a big, silly gap catching all that air.
2. We made the hole for the cab storage larger so it's more ergonomic to store and retrieve large items.
3. We add a removable table to the interior (room for 4 to play cards or eat).
4. We add the ability to arrange cushions into a queen bed or two separate beds.
5. We doubled the interior lighting.
6. The front counter is removed making it easier to get to the storage. Two counters in the corner are added to the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles