Stockton Beach, NSW Trip Report

zeroland

Adventurer
Here's a quick trip report from the weekend:

I was testing out my recently purchased Land Rover Discovery 300tdi (automatic) and had invited two additional families to join our short camping trip. The other vehicles were a Mitsubishi Pajero V6 and a Toyota Prado V6.

Stockton Beach is a comfortable 3hours North of Sydney and is one of the largest rolling sand dunes in the Southern Hemisphere.

Our tire pressure was initially 25psi but this proved way to high for the hot dry sandy conditions.
IMG_4668.JPG

The Discovery 300tdi has a Davis Landys Turbo upgrade, BFG AT, Snorkel, rear drawer system and 2" lift. It has the ZF Automatic transmission.
IMG_4747.JPG

The soft dry sand made a few of the dunes very challenging. The Discovery lacked the speed needed to crest a few of them (short run up) compared to the two V6 vehicles. The Prado had the 4L V6 engine which enabled it to gobble up any dune it encountered. The Pajero had road tyres which meant traction was often a problem.
IMG_4768.JPG

One of the steepest dunes had a relatively easy ridge line to the crest:
IMG_4920.JPG

IMG_4905.JPG

IMG_4906.JPG

And a wicked downhill...

IMG_4939.JPG

Overall, I was very impressed with my new purchase. The Discovery feels rather aged compared to the newer Pajero and Prado, however, it's a pure pleasure to drive!

IMG_4773.JPG

A few more pictures are available on the blog: Stockton Beach, NSW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz