Strength of a truck bed, 2.5 Gen Tundra to be specific.

Dsprite

Hello everyone,

I'm quite new to the overland/vehicle exploration scene. While I certainly do not consider myself to be one, I have some long multi week camping/fishing trips planned that would require me to drive over lots of washboard roads and logging roads (mainly in Western Canada and US). The vehicle I will be using is a 2021 Toyota Tundra DC TRD Off-Road. The only modification I've done is throw on 275/70/18 KO2s as I wanted more rugged and capable tires rather than the stock michelins, not that there's anything wrong with the LTXs.

My question to you is, I'm still trying to get my sleeping setup dialled in. Like many truck owners, I've boiled it down to a RTT+bed rack or a truck canopy with a sleeping platform in the back. I have used ground tents all my life but am looking for more of a comfier and most importantly more "Safe" alternative. The lady and I have had some scary ground tent experiences (wolves) in the backcountry, and yes we always follow proper food storage and camping protocol to keep wildlife away.

What concerns me the most is, with either setup, will it have a negative effect on the truck bed's structural integrity such as morphing, cracking of the bed etc? I can't imagine having a constant weight of 300-500lbs on all the time (I do not have a storage space readily available to put the RTT away if I get one). This truck is also my daily driver so I certainly do not want any serious damage to the bed. I've read someone's post in TacomaWorld stating that having a bed rack acts like a bed stiffener as it keeps the bed frame "together"... is there any proof to this? I will be considering getting a bed stiffener with either route I go but I wanted to ask you all for some real word experience.

Thank you in advance everyone.

aknightinak

At what's roughly a third or less of the payload, I expect you'll be fine. Bed stiffeners I've seen are essentially oversized L-brackets, so I can see the similarity of benefit to adding a shell or rack with multiple attachment points opposite one another.

For comparison, my winter payload is a 35x12.5 spare on a steel wheel and a half dozen 70 lb sand bags, every day, all day for at least 6 months at a time. I have airbags, but they live at a minimum inflation so aren't really contributing anything to my daily driving. Rough roads are the standard around here, and I haven't had a problem of any kind doing this with my '07 single cab.

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
Get a GFC! 200 LBS and elevated sleeping. Safe, comfy and sturdy.

As far as weight, There are tons of Tacomas everywhere that have a rack and RTT and all the cool guy overland stuff mounted permanently and there is no issue. Unless your truck is a rust bucket you'll likely be fine.

Regarding the TacomaWorld question, not exactly. The large majority of the bed racks are mounted to the bed rail and the RTT support bars are angled upwards and inwards causing the weight of the RTT to push the bedsides out. In theory anyway, I'm no engineer. But like I said, there's plenty of RTT permanently mounted with no issue.

Dsprite

Afternoon everyone,

Thank you so much for the feedbacks. I've decided that the bed stiffeners will most definitely be installed regardless of which route I take (RTT or Shell). I've got my eyes on the Total Chaos bed stiffeners.

After, reading your comments + doing additional research, I feel more at ease about putting the additional weight on the truck bed railing. However, I'm still undecided on if I want to go the RTT route or grab a shell/canopy. Where I live, both options are going to cost me between $2k-$5k. I will need to figure out which option will be more beneficial to my needs and have the least amount of strain on the truck as it is my daily driver.

If anyone would like to add their experiences, please do as I'm curious. Thank you again everyone for your inputs.

Hummelator

Adventurer
I used to run my 07 for work with an aluminum contractor canopy full of parts. I was always well above the weight you intend to carry and never had an issue with the bed. I wouldn’t think twice about a rack with a RTT.
Oddly enough, since then I’ve run a few 1 ton Chevys where the box is actually splitting at the top corner near the cab because of the weight.
E220A75A-347E-4209-9ACF-257E32F543A7.jpeg

Dsprite

I used to run my 07 for work with an aluminum contractor canopy full of parts. I was always well above the weight you intend to carry and never had an issue with the bed. I wouldn’t think twice about a rack with a RTT.
Oddly enough, since then I’ve run a few 1 ton Chevys where the box is actually splitting at the top corner near the cab because of the weight.
View attachment 744180
Good evening,

Thank you for the insight. I'm currently trying to decide which setup would be most efficient for sleep wise. I do feel like sleeping in a canopy would ultimately be the safest and feel the most secure, not from just the elements but other people, wildlife etc. Not to mention, there would be no "setup time" as I'd just hop in the back and sleep. When you had the canopy, did you notice a significant drop in mpg? A concern I've come across from doing some research is that some people stated they've ran into paint damage from the canopies rubbing against the truck. I'm curious if this is a common issue to worry about and what I can do to completely prevent this if I go to canopy/shell route. Doing a linex coating along rail on the top of the truck bed comes to mind.

Thank you again.

Hummelator

Adventurer
Good evening,

Thank you for the insight. I'm currently trying to decide which setup would be most efficient for sleep wise. I do feel like sleeping in a canopy would ultimately be the safest and feel the most secure, not from just the elements but other people, wildlife etc. Not to mention, there would be no "setup time" as I'd just hop in the back and sleep. When you had the canopy, did you notice a significant drop in mpg? A concern I've come across from doing some research is that some people stated they've ran into paint damage from the canopies rubbing against the truck. I'm curious if this is a common issue to worry about and what I can do to completely prevent this if I go to canopy/shell route. Doing a linex coating along rail on the top of the truck bed comes to mind.

Thank you again.
I don’t recall noticing a drop in MPG with the canopy.
As for the paint damage,I did have some but it was on the cab right above the bed rail line. I found my canopy would shift over the bumpy roads and then when the truck would articulate the canopy would scrape the paint. That’s my guess at least as I was never able to see it from the drivers seat.
Though, fibreglass canopies seem to be a bit more form fitting so that may change how the canopy interacts with the cab

RedSun

You shouldn't have a problem. But I would definitely advise bed stiffeners. Long term there is the possibility of the bed side warping/slightly bending outward from the fact that the weight of a rack with a tent on it is being almost solely distributed to the bedsides. If that happens your tailgate might not fit/close properly. This is just what i've read. I've never seen it on a Tundra personally.

I have been running my RTT setup without them but just recently got some. I run a rack, tent, awning, fuel can, traction board, and tools all without a problem. Enjoy the truck and your upcoming trips. Getting a rooftop tent was one of the best choices I've made for the truck, countless memories made with my family in it.

1664522422789.png

icediver

Observer
No comment on the strength of the bed, but I don't think you'll find there's "no set up time" by sleeping under a canopy. I've never had a canopy that was dust proof. So even when camping in it I'd pack up all my sleep stuff when moving locations so it wouldn't fill with dust. Also, when you're camping you bring stuff. And that stuff ends up in the back so you're going to have to move it around and find a place to put it before you get to lay down and sleep.

I've switched to a roof top tent and found, in my hard top style at least, that set up is actually fast. Sleeping bags stay in it when closed. Its up high out of the dust clouds in general, and more dust proof anyways. Set up really is just minutes.

I've never seen any of the wedge style campers (GFC, etc) but I'd give those a good look. Maybe the benefits of both a RTT and a topper shell?

good luck!

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I've never seen any of the wedge style campers (GFC, etc) but I'd give those a good look. Maybe the benefits of both a RTT and a topper shell?
good luck!

One of my camping buddies has one on his Taco and it is so awesome. It's literally the best of both worlds and opens up in under 30 seconds. It will 100% be my next big truck purchase.

OP- Coming from someone who has had 2 fiberglass shells - if you're going to spend money on a shell, spend a bit more for a GFC. You wont be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier