Sub-Compact Overlander

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
1165332023_3ccaa003c6.jpg

Find one of these with a VW TDi. THAT would be awesome. The aftermarket is brimming with Samurai parts and options. VW TDi, Toyota trans, spring over and some decent tires, thatd be pretty cool. A little too small for my 6'4" but cool nonetheless.

Ummm, that's mine and it does have a VW 1.9 Turbo Diesel. :sombrero:

I'm 6'1 and it has plenty of room for me.

63521010_ukfYz-M.jpg

73038971_qwiWk-M.jpg

70119908_yQk58-M.jpg

78841027_JdHCZ-M.jpg

SRN

Adventurer
Yeah, they pop up from time to time. I really do like them. Im just not sure if they are "compact" enough for what they are going to do. The aftermarket is no where near as strong as for the Samurai but the usable space is much better. Cant beat the box on wheels.

As much as I love my Disco, part of me wants to build a first gen Trooper. JDM 4JG2T diesel/ trans assemblies are readily available, solid axle swap kits are readily available and there is more than enough room to run something like 33's. Now THAT would be a killer expedition rig.

I looked for one for a bit before I decided to go ahead an rebuild my Samurai. The after market is quite weak, but the people who run them are fanatical, so there is a lot of information out there. One of the big downsides, just like a Samurai, is that they are cancer magnets. I don't think I have ever seen one without copious amounts of rust.

For a nice, decent sized overlander a diesel with just a small lift would serve most people really well. I always liked the early ones with the round headlights too.

Riptide

Explorer
Ummm, that's mine and it does have a VW 1.9 Turbo Diesel. :sombrero:

THAT, dear friends, is the the ULTIMATE Suzuki Samurai.

Jeez, Jeff, if you ever sell that baby, I hope you post it here first. Or better yet, just send me a PM! :drool:

I'm looking forward to dropping my 1.6TD into my 95 someday, but right now, that lil' 1.3 just runs too good to pull out...

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
Thanks guys! Here are a couple more views.

Bringing her home...

26454149-M.jpg

63521030-M.jpg

63521035-M.jpg

67532840_nBGWJ-M.jpg

And here is the family rig, better for the long distance trips...

254180297_VAyRS-L.jpg

254180410_RKsgy-L.jpg

And my current project. I bought this last year with 34k origional miles. It's getting a new crate 2.5L Mitsubishi Turbo Diesel, 1.5" lift and 30x9.50 MTR's.

562161899_Zp8o7-M.jpg

560453016_Fkjmm-M.jpg

Made a custom bumper...

636604892_aQA6u-L.jpg

And installed a set of OEM fender flares...

909829498_yuoT2-M.jpg

kozaz

I have a 93 GEO tracker 2 door, 5sp 4x4, 30s. It gets 26-30mpg. The gears are swapped from an auto for the 30s. Its 1.6 FI.

Great for moving around town, and really surprised how well it does on trails. BUT, I live in Phoenix AZ, and if I want to travel to Payson or Flagstaff, forget it. The hills make the drive undesirable (at least for me). If you do not mind less than 45mph then you would be OK. You would need to stick with near stock size tires and/or swap gears for larger tires.

I would think any sub compact with larger tires that has around 110hp and 80 hp torque will suffer in this area.

I'd highly recommend anybody looking into this find the same vehicle you are looking for with the same mods and take it for a drive. If possible, look for gradual climbing hills and see how it does. You may be surprise.

If I were to turn my Tracker into a mini expedition rig, I would install a Tacoma 2.7 motor (double Hp and Tq). If your looking at a subcompact with and larger tires in mind and for see your excursions in hilly area, you may want to research for possible engine swaps (MPG in mind).

Not trying to bash subcompacts, I keep watching for a 2.7 in CL, so one day I may have one myself. (I like less with more, and the turning radius great!)

Ryan

Last edited:
Been following this thread for a while and have been considering a new DD, possibly sub-compact expedition rig and have always had a thing for the small and quirky. The LWB Zuk is a thing of dreams, very beautiful!

What I have always wanted to do was take a VW rabbit pickup, drop in a 1.9 TDI, sammy t-case and axles (possibly d30/35 from a jeep for availabity purposes), 30-31" a/ts and a shell. It should be a pretty capable little vehicle, good on gas, good amount of room and wierd looking. A diesel luv done up the same way would be pretty cool too.

Jeff@QuadShop

Explorer
The VW truck would be killer but it would take major work. The Isuzu Pup/Luv diesels are pretty easy to find and would be much easier and cheaper to get expo ready IMHO.

This Luv is sitting in my buddies yard, it's been sitting there for 10 years. We pulled it out last week, put a battery in it and it started right up...

1070078294_XjzAg-M.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8HrU9EFXM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xb8HrU9EFXM[/ame]

SRN

Adventurer
Been following this thread for a while and have been considering a new DD, possibly sub-compact expedition rig and have always had a thing for the small and quirky. The LWB Zuk is a thing of dreams, very beautiful!

What I have always wanted to do was take a VW rabbit pickup, drop in a 1.9 TDI, sammy t-case and axles (possibly d30/35 from a jeep for availabity purposes), 30-31" a/ts and a shell. It should be a pretty capable little vehicle, good on gas, good amount of room and wierd looking. A diesel luv done up the same way would be pretty cool too.

Just buy a Lada Niva. Already looks like a Rabbit and Samurai's bastard child that they shipped of to Russia in disgust. Some even came with a 1.9L diesel.

Alek_Ser_04LadaNiva_2RR.jpg

Michur_Pol_92LadaNiva_RR.jpg

great, now off to look chase some other wild automotive unicorn. And to think I thought finding a halfway decent rabbit truck around here was difficult.

Very cool little car.

SRN

Adventurer
I've always thought that the Niva was sweet. A fair number of them made it into Canada from the mid '80's to about '98. Some of them should be hitting the 25 year mark so you can start importing them without problems.

Lajning

Observer
Ah, finely a nice looking Niva.

But i think that you guys are still thinking too big.

Most of you must have seen Jrally's celica by now. I'd consider doing something similar, but with an audi quattro platform.

The c3 and c4 models of the audi 80/100 came with locking center and rear diffs. In stock form they are limited to 30 km/h but that is easily overrun with a simple electric mod. These drive-lines are incredibly solid. Most audi-racers run 500-800 bhp around here doing 10 second runs on the 1/4 mile strip.

The only downside is the lack of low-range gears.
Oh, and the fact that they didn't come with diesel engines. I do think that the boltpattern is the same on all gearboxes from the c4 platform though. The 2.5 liter Inline5 tdi would be super sweet. It's easily tuned to around 180 bhp with a massive torque.

Only downside on the concept is the lack of spare parts in 3rd world countries. And maybe the price.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...ling-(lifted-offroad-hatchbacks-within)/page2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz