Subaru Outback (or similar) towing an expo trailer? Warning - philosophical rambling

2Shoes

I'm building my Outback to handle a small trailer with a roof top tent on it. Right now the roof top tent is on my Outback and my ARB 60L fridge freezer is in the back.

IMG_0349.jpg

Sleeping Dog

Adventurer
The 2010 and newer OB has a tow rating of approximately 2700# with the 2.5 and 3000# with the 3.6. A couple of considerations for the 6 speed manual, in dry conditions power is deployed 50-50 front to rear, with the CVT it is 90-10 front to rear, the 5 speed auto of the 3.6 is 85-15 front to back. The manual is only available with the 2.5L four. If your towing mostly on paved or graded soft roads the OB will be fine, but I'd be concerned if you were towing through mud, deep ruts and rough trails. The car alone could handle it but adding a trailer could be a problem.

Jim

Trailpsycho

Observer
My understanding with my 05 Outback XT is that it has a towing capacity of 2700 lbs. An M416 should be fine. I do notice a 1-1.5 mpg diffference around town witht he RTT and the awning mounted on the roof rack. I get 23-24 around town in my 5 spd manual XT. I get 25-27 on the interstate...not sure what that will translate to with RTT or with pulling my M416...but I am guessing it will still be double of my 76 Bronco on 35"s with 5.5" of SL, a 5 L EFI engine and a NV4500 5 spd. For cruisng back highways, the bronco can see 14-15, but for interstate its 12-13+...I am hoping that getting rid of the MTs and going to some ATs will help a little with rolling resistance next year.

To the point, a 5 spd manual should serve you well as it is really a 50-50 split. My turbo makes amazing power, not sure how that would translate to climbing a steep pass with 1500 lbs of trailer and RTT in tow. I would guess that it would do well, though. I love my Subaru. But I will always be in love with my Bronco...even though she is a thirsty *****.

tacksman

Observer
Not to regenerate a kinda old thread, I've towed 2250 with my 2011 Outback 2.5 CVT from Bisbee AZ to Ventura CA with no issues. My fuel mileage averaged 25 mpg.
I was very reluctant about the weight, so i checked with my Dealer and he reassured me it would be fine. The trip went off good and i was surprised how well the Outback did.
I am currently building an expo trailer although no an M416 it will be in the same weight range. I say go for it, use the outback for your new rig.

joshjan

White Jeep 101.jpg

This is our 2012 Outback with a m416 trailer in full vacation mode. We do not travel light! Two adults, two little boys, 85 pound retriever inside the car and all of our stuff for the week on top and in the trailer. We managed 21 mpg going about 70-72 all interstate. Having stuff on the roof is the deal breaker for great mileage but the little 2.5 pulled the load ok. We have the cvt and I shifted it manually most of the way just so it would get out of it's own way. We actually had a 2011 outback with the 6 speed before this one and I think I would prefer the cvt to the manual for any towing. The manual seemed like it had a tall first gear which would make it tough on the clutch for any towing.

djsixbillion

Adventurer
Nice, thanks for all the responses guys. Just to update the thread, we did end up selling the 4Runner and getting my wife a 2010 Outback with the 2.5 and CVT, but in the meantime I also sold the M416 and bought a used Four Wheel Camper. Plans always in flux! The Outback has been great though, averaging just under 30 mpg in everyday commuting and baby-hauling duties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior