Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

machine1

Explorer
Machine1, that looks awesome. How much ground clearance are you at now?

Thanks! I'm at about 9.7" (8.9" stock plus 0.8" tire lift) now, unfortunately I didn't gain any clearance in the rear with the lift because the subframe got moved down to re-center the rear tire. But now I'm going to run a 29" tire which will get me to around 10.2" at the rear diff. The front subframe will be around 12" of clearance. Now I need to get a skidplate for the rear diff.

Edit: I went to the garage and actually measured. I'm at 11" at the front skidplate (lowest part of the skidplate) and 9.5" at the rear diff. My AT3's are pretty well worn (40K miles) so I'll probably get some additional clearance with some new treads.

Real world versus theoretical, lol.

Last edited:

machine1

Explorer
^^ how is everything holding up with all the lift? CV joints, steering, etc.

I'm about to inspect everything tomorrow in addition to doing an alignment. I've had the lift on since Saturday, so far it drives like it did before the lift. A little bit more resistance to the wind but I haven't seen a difference in fuel economy on my little computer in the dash.

Dake21

Adventurer
I'm about to inspect everything tomorrow in addition to doing an alignment. I've had the lift on since Saturday, so far it drives like it did before the lift. A little bit more resistance to the wind but I haven't seen a difference in fuel economy on my little computer in the dash.

Please keep us posted.

Also, by subframe do you mean a K frame of the forester has an actual subframe?

Stroverlander

Adventurer
Rear subframe.

Yc4AzLJ.gif

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Old shot 2010 2.5 cvt + Life Time Trailer this was on the way to Avenue of the Giants. Currently on a spring break Socal trip no rack no trailer. We did 340 mile run south with mild tail wind 30mpg tank average 73ishmph. 2kids 2 adults and assorted crap.

Mid April we start the full camping mode with the trailer. Its been a great family hauler and light duty camping rig.64,000 miles. 100% stock except the BFG touring tires. CVT and diffs serviced at 60k drain fill local dealer. CVT needs fluid inspection at 60k. Local Bay Area deal said they were finding their local CVTs needed a drain fill at 60k. Ive read a few 100k ish CVTs on original fluid having shift selenoid failures. Sorta like Mercedes a few yrs back Life time fluid is now a 50-55k drain fill and the 7spd shift selenoids are happy again vs failing. CVT has been really good in the Sierras and towing so far.tmp_1832-IMG_20140804_124154-245364561.jpgtmp_1832-IMG_20140804_124154-245364561.jpg

wreckdiver1321

Overlander
Well that's annoying. You have a half inch less clearance under the front diff than I do. Gotta fix that...

That being said, under the frame I've got about 14"

Still, your Scoob looks awesome!

smorris

I've got a 2008 Outback 2.5 XT Limited 5MT with just under 34,000 miles on it. I bought it new, and it is mostly stock. I'm changing that now, though, as at the end of the summer, we are taking it out west for an extended exploration of as many out of the way places as we can get to.

I currently have two roof rack configurations. One with Thule 58" crossbars with two kayak racks and two bicycle racks. The other is with the Subaru branded Yakima LoadWarrior heavy duty basket with an 18" extension giving me a 39" X 62" basket. I have an ARB 2500 Awning that can be mounted to either rack configuration.

I'm about to replace the OEM tires with a set of 225-60-17 Yokohama Geolander A/T-S tires, and I'll replace the soft rear struts with '04 struts for a stiffer rear. While I have the struts out, I'll probably to a 1" spacer lift. I'm also contemplating a skid plate and light bar. Inside, I want to take the rear seat completely out and build a floor-level box in its place. Then add a new "floor" in the cargo area with brackets and tie downs for a 'fridge, boxes, compressor, etc. That way I can take the entire floor out and have the full cargo area for whatever I need to load in there.

DSC_0010-X2.jpg

DSC_0003-X2.jpg

Here's the ARB awning balanced up there while I tried figuring out a mounting method.

IMG_4681-X2.jpg

And here's my 2002 WRX Sport Wagon 5MT (with a whopping 37,000 miles on it), which is lowered and not good for any off-pavement driving. :)

DSC_2275-X2.jpg

I'll add new photos as I make progress.
Steve

smorris

they make a bracket to mount it to your basket btw. i made a post in the roof top section and someone linked to it

I have the Rhino-Rack bracket for the Foxing awning. It works for both. On the basket, it clamps to the basket's top front/back rail with the U-bolts, and on the Thule racks it fits between the crossbar and the bike rack clamp.

http://www.carid.com/rhino-rack/foxwing-arb-bracket-fit-kit-for-foxwing-arb-bracket-mpn-31103.html

31103_fowing_arb_tjm_bracket_kit_1.jpg

It is made for the wider Foxwing t-slots, so I needed to add an extra hole in each bracket to match the ARB t-slot spacing.

machine1

Explorer
Well that's annoying. You have a half inch less clearance under the front diff than I do. Gotta fix that...

That being said, under the frame I've got about 14"

Still, your Scoob looks awesome!

Thanks a lot!

I'll be getting another 0.5" from getting larger tires (235/65R17).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz