Subaru owners: Let's see your expedition rigs!

Herbie

Rendezvous Conspirator
1987 is pretty early. Loyale? GL?

In those years, I'd be looking for rust, rust, and rust. Those were the days when Subaru hadn't yet gotten their steel treatment nailed down. Also, unless you're both very petite, 2 people in the back of an early model like that will be pretty cozy.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
87 with a 2.2?

Somebody did an engine swap. The EJ22 is a vast improvement over the EA series that was in there. However, like any swapped car you will want to triple and quadruple check the wiring installation. One bad connection can make for weeks of torment. Unless you know Subarus really well, I would pass on it.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I've alluded to this elsewhere, to no effect. It amazes me how people will spend big bucks to replace final drive gears, whole axle housings, t-cases, etc in larger rigs to make them stronger/more reliable, but putting a couple grand into a Subaru to do the same thing is "ridiculous". Then again, maybe if it became a popular solution, it would be more difficult for us to find the bits we need... Either that or it would create a new market segment and make it cheaper and easier.

Considering most people who get a Subaru use them as a car it makes little sense other than a hobby / project car to do things like that. I'm on my second Subaru my prior one was 100% stock because the whole point of buying it and owning is was for good every day reliable transportation bought it new and replaced it at 180,000 miles because we wanted the larger roomier 2010 version. Nothing wrong with the old car I would have kept it had the back seat been workable for the kids and dog etc.

libarata

Expedition Leader
0305151415.jpg Stupid mother flurpin all season tires, and terrible Virginia drivers. A special curse goes to the kitted out trucks that zipped passed, and offered not even acknowledgment that I was in a ditch...

Hodaka

Adventurer
Considering most people who get a Subaru use them as a car it makes little sense other than a hobby / project car to do things like that. I'm on my second Subaru my prior one was 100% stock because the whole point of buying it and owning is was for good every day reliable transportation bought it new and replaced it at 180,000 miles because we wanted the larger roomier 2010 version. Nothing wrong with the old car I would have kept it had the back seat been workable for the kids and dog etc.
And most people who buy Jeeps these days rarely even take them off pavement...
... And those who do build them up often do it as a hobby / project. Just sayin.

Hondaslayer

Adventurer
Thanks for the info. Might still check it out this weekend. Here's the link:
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/ctd/4898849097.html

Ok,

Reading that listing I highly doubt it has an EJ swap, it's just too "neglected" looking (EJ swaps usually are done on cars with lifts, etc.. enthusiast owned cars) That car likely still has the EA82 (IIRC) 1.8 engine. Still a good car, just plan on doing timing belts, fluid changes etc... ASAP. NEVER let that engine overheat, there is a 102% chance that if you let it overheat it will crack the heads. That said, the EA series is bullet proof otherwise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz